Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:48 pm 

Working on the script module. The parts list in the instructions (2nd Page) doesn’t include the 250k trimpot. Also: I’m short one 250k trimpot!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:44 pm 

On to the pedal itself. I did a parts check against both the parts list AND the written instructions.

The parts checklist lists 23 resistors. The board on calls for 22. The extra seems to be one of the 470k resistors. Other than that I think the checklist is good.

Also, I received 3 25k trimpots, rather than 1 25k and 2 250k trimpots. Together with the missing trimpot for the script module, I believe I’ll need 3 250k trimpots to complete my build. (Keith, I’ll email you separately on that.)

So far so good, but I’m done for the night!

Last edited by tboulette on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Looks like everyone will need 3 x 250k trimpots, so we'll get those out to you.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 pm 

Got my kit on Friday. Had a great weekend gig with friends and impatiently started building today. I was tired but anxious. Of course i soldered the dip8 sockets to the top, right? :shock:
A bonehead mistake that someone with my experience shouldn't do.... but.... I'd suggest you put BIG WORDING warning people to solder on the bottom. It's bolded yes but to save boneheads like me the frustration of unsoldering sockets it may be worth it.

You're already aware of the difference between the silk screening and actual value of resistors (I'll assume this will be fixed on production models)

I'll post more observations as I move along.

I got three 25k trimmers too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:31 pm 

I did the same thing! Waiting on some flux to get the damn things back off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:13 pm 

Built this pedal today. From the time I opened the box to the time it was fully assembled and tested... 7 hours. I've built 10 BYOC pedals, all of them back around 2010-2012 for the most part.

My favorite of all of them has always been the Phase Royal, which I have loaded with sockets so I could play with all of the caps and resistors. I thought it needed more lower capacity out of the box, so I applied the bass mod at one point, and socketed everything at that time. I run the old Phase Royal at 18V these days, and... well, as I said, it's been my favorite for a long time.

For some perspective... In my pedal chain are the old Phase Royal, the old EHX The Worm, which I modded to accept an expression pedal for range, a Chase Bliss Wombtone (from which I stole the expression pedal for my initial startup of the new Phase Royal, and now the new BYOC Phase Royal Script phaser... in other words, I have some decent comparables and (since I really enjoy a good modulation) they all get used.

So, like the others commenting, the original package had an extra 470kohm resistor, and I admit to being a bit confused by the trimpot situation. I received the resent trimpots, which from the posts above sound like they are all 250k... The set in the original kit (4 trimpots) were all marked '253', and the second set I received appeared to be 2 marked "254" and one marked "25" (though it appeared that the '5' was partially unprinted on this one, so I suppose it's possible that it also should have read "254"). I put the '254's in the 'upper limit' spots and the other in the 'lower limit', and used one of the original '253' trimpots on the module header. And not to jump ahead, but because I always sort the parts first, tape them to the instructions, and label them (part of that 7 hrs...), I found - just by way of commenting on it - that the 1M Resistor looks WAY more like [Brown, Black, Black, Yellow, Brown] than it does [Brown, Black, Black, Orange, Brown]... everything else in the module kit checklist was exactly as written (2N25458 transistors, for the curious).

Next, I had the following electrolytic caps that were not listed on the checklist at all

1 x 220uF
2 x 100uF
8 x 10uF
2 x 15uF

These are clearly laid out in the instruction and printed on the board.

This reminds me... BYOC it would be really helpful if you numbered the pages in these instruction sets. I remember numbering them by hand a few times in the past so I could keep everything in-line...

The kit went together simply and the instructions were good, as usual. The hints for the pots were helpful, and everything time I started to think... "I wonder how..." it was spelled out in the next section. As usual (for me) wiring the footswitch was the most intensive part.

For the Module, it was quick and easy, but there is a comment on Step 4 that says "The capacitor highlighted in yellow is the ceramic disc capacitor" which must be a left over or typo, as there was neither a part highlighted in yellow, nor a ceramic disc capacitor in the kit (and it all went together as instructed otherwise).

I'll be back a little later after I've played a bit on it tonight, but while dialing in the trimpots and giving it a quick test, it's got tons of character, the expression pedal works great (I wonder... what would be required to change the expression pedal from rate to Depth/Regen...). Since I'm used to the old Phase Royal, this one gives so much more to shape the sound and just adds tons of depth the its capabilities. I found that the lower limit trimpot has about a 30 degree arc of effectivity towards the lower end, then it's in the upper limit range - perhaps the '25' trimpot is not correct...

If I had the Input cranked up, there was a little distortion if I also turned the Depth all the way up.

The upper range of the Regen pot has ambient high pitched 'sweep', but this may also be an affect of the input being high - will test this more.

I played through it for about a 1/2 hr and found a variety of settings that I liked. With many pedals I typically find a sweet spot and tend to adjust only with different guitars.

Early summary is, it's got much more depth of character than my old Phase Royal (meaning I have much more control to shape the effect). As I mentioned, I found a variety of great sounds by just adjusting the ratio of the adjustments to each other, and it's not nearly as cumbersome as the Wombtone (which has lot's of options, and a massive variety of tones, but finding them is like programming a POD or something, in my opinion...)

So... Off to put it through it's paces...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 am 

OK so I played with this pedal for about 45 minutes tonight. I've got some audio and video to share... disclaimer: the video insert showing the pedal is not very good quality... but I think you can make out most of what's happening. 2nd... a few years back I played a show outside and we got poured on... many of my pedals got quite wet and the result is they all now have lots of... er... personality - in other words you're going to hear 'clicks' that go through my pedal chain, but they are not caused by the new Phase Royal.

I should have recorded just with the new pedal, but I wanted to compare to the other pedals in my set up, so sorry about that.

I'm playing a LTD PS-1 semi-hollow through 2 amps, a Bugera V-22 re-housed in a custom cherry cabinet, and an Orange Micro-Terror through a custom cabinet running a Guitar Warehouse Speaker Reaper driver. The Bug is 50% right and the Micro is 50% left. I switch between clean signal and the new Phase Royal and modulate with the expression pedal, and at one point I switch over to the old Phase Royal (at about 5 minutes), then back to the new.

The video is just under 10 minutes, I didn't think anyone wanted to watch me play for any longer heheh.

https://youtu.be/CLcXwl8Wq6k

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Knight of Cups wrote:
Got my kit on Friday. Had a great weekend gig with friends and impatiently started building today. I was tired but anxious. Of course i soldered the dip8 sockets to the top, right? :shock:
A bonehead mistake that someone with my experience shouldn't do.... but.... I'd suggest you put BIG WORDING warning people to solder on the bottom. It's bolded yes but to save boneheads like me the frustration of unsoldering sockets it may be worth it.

You're already aware of the difference between the silk screening and actual value of resistors (I'll assume this will be fixed on production models)

Isn't it printed right on the PCB?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 am 

It IS printed right on the PCB. I think some folks are just gonna make this mistake (myself included) -- we get going a little too fast. Bolder, bigger print in the instructions might be helpful, but honestly I'll still occasionally screw this kind of thing up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:00 am 

cewinterland wrote:
Built this pedal today...

Great feedback!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 am 

It is printed on the pcb. I know we should read before soldering. I honestly didn’t clue in until I saw the picture you took of a finished underside. Can I suggest showing that picture and then give your bolded instructions? I think this would prevent the not so awake or impatient builder from making the same mistakes.
I was almost too embarrassed to admit my mistake but as a tester my job is to report my findings. :oops: :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:23 pm 

byoc wrote:
Knight of Cups wrote:

Isn't it printed right on the PCB?

Looks like you may need to step up your dummy-proofing! :lol:

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the input so far.

Some BOM issues to take care of. Got it.

Make the solder side components more obvious. 10-4

Numbering the pages is a good idea.

I think the area I'm most concerned with is feedback about dialing in the rate knob/expression pedal and how well you think it works. Does the sweep work well? Does the taper work the way you'd expect it to? This isn't a clone of anything exactly. Most of the circuit design is taken from existing designs....even the LFO. It's the LFO from the Phase 90. But the way the rate of the LFO is voltage controlled is an original design. The rate potentiometer has been replaced with an optocoupler. The brightness of the optocoupler's LED is what is actually voltage controlled.
Optocouplers don't have very tight tolerances. So while it may work perfectly here in the shop, who knows how it will behave out there. I've found with the 250k upper limit trimmer and the 25k lower limit trimmer, the ideal settings for both seem to be pretty close to dead center. But this may vary depending on how close to spec the optocoupler is. How difficult was it to dial in the upper and lower limits? Is the slowest setting slow enough? Is the fastest setting fast enough?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:43 pm 

Though it took a minute to dial in, the rate controls work great. The lower limit trimpot effectivity (in my build) is limited to a 30 degree arc at the low end of its control as I mentioned above, but once I got it that figured, i can dial up a real slow lower limit, which is great, it's just a very narrow band on the trimpot (and I'm not 100% certain the '25' I thought I saw on the lower limit trimpot was correct or not...). The upper limit for both the expression pedal and without were easy to dial in, I think I'm just a little over center.

Unplugging the exp pedal works as expected as well.

I still have to play with dialing in the module trimpot but overall I'm able to use the Depth, Regen, and Mix pots to tune the phase sound/character and they interact with each other in controllable ways as well. I find it to be deep and rich in a way the original Phase Royal is not (even with 18V).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:37 am 

I’ll be the guinea pig with 100k trim pots.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:40 pm 

In the Script instructions there’s no directions for soldering the connectors.

Edit: never mind it’s step 8.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 pm 

I was playing around with the new Phase Royal, and I have a question... how is the mix knob configured to function? Is it a blend of the Regen and Depth (eg: 12 o'clock is equal mix of both), or is it intended to be mix of total effect to clean? It seems more the blend type, where 9 to 11 o'clock primarily Regen, and 1 to 3 or 4 primarily Depth - does that sound right?

I took video this evening of trimpot adjustments, knob adjustments, etc. I'm working on it now (video takes forever to parse...)

Back soon with that...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:07 am 

cewinterland wrote:
how is the mix knob configured to function?

It's a dry/wet blend. The dry comes from the main board, the wet from the modules. All the way CW should pretty much just be vibrato, all the way CCW should be the dry signal. About noon should be the typical 50/50 phaser blend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 pm 

Sounds awesome [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm 

Just got back this weekend from 2 weeks of fishing in VT and finally got a chance to build this beta. Assembly went smoothly, adjusted the trimpots as directed, and the pedal sounds great.

Have come across one issue, though. Has anybody else tried running the pedal off of the battery adapter? Can't get mine to light up that way. (Yes, the DC jack is wired correctly!) Looking at the traces from the battery snap connections, it looks to me like the negative side isn't connected to the negative eyelet for the DC jack, but rather to the battery positive eyelet. That would short the battery when one is connected and there's no DC adapter plugged in....and my battery gets warm when I do this! Can anybody else corroborate this behavior?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 pm 

I finally got what I hope is an example of the internal trim pot adjustment experience. The video's not great (because I'm zoomed in digitally...), and unless you're interested in the trim pot adjustments it will probably be pretty boring.

What I find is that the lower limit trim pot and the LFO trim pot have one spot out of the sweep range (about a 10-15 degree arc of the trim pot) that is effective - the remaining 85-90 degrees have no audible affect.

I set the upper limit trim pots once where I liked them, and really haven't changed them since, nor felt a need to do so (although it's probably worth working with the upper limit for the rate knob and its relationship to the lower limit...).

The video focuses a little on the sweep of the rate knob when not using the expression pedal. If the sweep is from 7 to 5 (clockwise), the rate knob is effective between about 1 or 2 and 5. 7 to 1 is empty space.

Hope it's useful.

https://youtu.be/U4DPw2vfJTo

By the way... voodooman, I didn't hook up the battery adapter at all, so I'm unable to corroborate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:52 am 
Site Admin

duhvoodooman wrote:
Just got back this weekend from 2 weeks of fishing in VT and finally got a chance to build this beta. Assembly went smoothly, adjusted the trimpots as directed, and the pedal sounds great.

Have come across one issue, though. Has anybody else tried running the pedal off of the battery adapter? Can't get mine to light up that way. (Yes, the DC jack is wired correctly!) Looking at the traces from the battery snap connections, it looks to me like the negative side isn't connected to the negative eyelet for the DC jack, but rather to the battery positive eyelet. That would short the battery when one is connected and there's no DC adapter plugged in....and my battery gets warm when I do this! Can anybody else corroborate this behavior?

Yep, there's a problem with the DC adapter jack eyelets. If you're using a DC adapter power supply, there's no problem. If you're gonna use a battery, here's how you fix it:

1. remove the wires from the DC jack's two positive terminals(the sleeve and sleeve disconnect), but leave the wire connected to the negative tip terminal.
2. connect the wire from the PCB that doesn't have a + or - symbol above it (located between the + and - eyelets) to the negative tip terminal of the DC jack. Yes, you would now how two wires connected to this terminal.
3. connect the wire from the + eyelet on the PCB to the sleeve disconnect (middle terminal) of the DC adapter jack.
4. pull the anode end of the 1N4001 diode (the side without the stripe) from the PCB and connect it to the sleeve of the DC adapter jack.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:02 am 
Site Admin

You're video isn't working, cewinterland.

In case you haven't noticed, the two trimpots are extremely interactive. Changing one will have an effect on the other. The 2M2 resistor limits how slow the LFO can ultimately go...probably slower than you'd want. And the 470ohm resistor limits how fast the LFO can go..probably faster than you'd want. If you extrapolate these ranges with one of the limit trimmers, the other trimmer will have no noticeable effect until you get it back inside the 470ohm - 2M2 range.

The moral of that story is that it's perfectly normal for certain ranges of the trimmers' rotation to not have any noticeable effect. I guess the important thing is that you were able to set the upper and lower limits without too much difficulty and that the taper of the rate pot and rate expression pedal work well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm 

Hmmm... not sure why the video's not working (or is it working now?). I've come to expect that all adjustments in BYOC pedals are interactive, so next time in there i'll play with the upper limit ones some more and see how they interact.

To be fair, i found the trimpot adjustments easy to dial in. It really took only moment to get this pedal to create some great sounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm 

Had to wait for a part to come in. Finally got this thing up and running: sort of.
Have signal when the pedal is on. I’m not getting any phase sound however. No matter where I set the trimmers.
I put 100ks on the upper left of the board. Maybe I need 250k? Also going to check the pots.