Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Roland Space Echo RE-201
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 am 

I have a guy that wants to trade me two pedals I built and $150 for a Roland Space Echo RE-201.

It looks to be in good shape, except he said the heads need to be cleaned.

Is this a good deal?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:15 am 

I don't really know the street value of an RE-201, let alone how much maintenance they require, but it seems to me the math is more about how you value your own pedals. Will you use them if you keep them? How much time and money do you have in them?

Personally, I never expect to make any real 'profit' on my builds when I sell them. Once you factor in a reasonable hourly wage for electronics work on top of your cost of parts, it will almost never work in your favor. A long time ago I decided to stop thinking about making money selling builds and start thinking about getting some cash to put toward the next parts order. Once I made that shift in my head, I was a lot happier. It's a hobby that can partly subsidize itself. And that's enough for me. (And I really wish I still had my BYOC analog chorus back. Sold it to some guy on TGP.)

Also, consider how likely this person is to bring a broken pedal back to you in a month or a year and demand you repair it, whether or not it was your fault.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:03 am 

Sjaustin has some good points.
Those RE-201s go for good money used. Without knowing what the two pedals are you want to exchange it’s probably a good assumption that you’ll come out on top financially. Unless the Sace Echo is seriously damaged.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 am 

One pedal is the Analog Chorus and the other is a Spin FV-1 with 8 different effects.

I am not in this to make a profit, I build pedals because I enjoy doing it and it is a stress reliever for me. The only problem is that I am running out of room and need to get rid of some of them.

I think a Space Echo would be cool to try out, plus it sure looks pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:39 pm 

Knight of Cups wrote:
Those RE-201s go for good money used. Without knowing what the two pedals are you want to exchange it’s probably a good assumption that you’ll come out on top financially. Unless the Sace Echo is seriously damaged.

This is a great point. Any time you can convert a DIY build (essentially useless on the market unless you're really well known) into a piece of gear with good monetary value, it's worth considering. Even if you don't like it, you can probably get more cash out of it than you could out of your own builds.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:07 pm 

Plus just all the mojo attached to it alone it worth something in my book. Would love to play around with it or even get it back into pristine shape if need be.

Sent from the unknown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 pm 

If you can, I would play through it first. Those are old mechanical devices, lots of moving parts. Not as easy to repair as a simple pedal. And that, to me, is a suspiciously low trade/price for a working 201. Just sayin'...in fact, a *non-functioning* 201 is going for 299 on Reverb right now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:52 pm 

I got it and it works mechanically just needs a tape. I think I'm going to order one from Echo Fix and clean the heads. Image

Sent from the unknown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:54 pm 

I'm extremely jealous! I'd trade a bunch of stuff for one of those in good working shape. Tape echo and reverb in a box is a glorious thing. I'll trade you my analog chorus and a Spin multi-fx.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:05 am 

I'd do it in a second. I'd even let them pick my pedals, except maybe for the Doppleganger. I couldn't believe it fired up first try. All others are on the table.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 am 

chongmagic wrote:
I got it and it works mechanically just needs a tape. I think I'm going to order one from Echo Fix and clean the heads. Image

Sent from the unknown

There's a few guys at Madbeans and a long thread from Culturejam about fixing some of these if you run into a snag. Maybe Gtr2 also has a thread or is part of CJ's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:24 pm 

So I ran into a little issue. The device works but it was infested with roaches. I vacuumed most of them out but I had to double wrap it in garbage bags and sealed it in a plastic container. The electronics look ok and I bought a tune up kit from Echo Fix but it is going to be a while before I can comfortably get started on it.

Have to say the craziest experience I have had in a while. LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:24 pm 

So I ran into a little issue. The device works but it was infested with roaches. I vacuumed most of them out but I had to double wrap it in garbage bags and sealed it in a plastic container. The electronics look ok and I bought a tune up kit from Echo Fix but it is going to be a while before I can comfortably get started on it.

Have to say the craziest experience I have had in a while. LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:31 pm 

Wait… LIVE roaches??? Please share more details about the moment you discovered this, lol.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:03 pm 

NOOOOOOOOO WAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! That's super gnarly i hope you do your due diligence in cleaning those things out. I wouldn't even have that in my house.

Did they want to jam?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:07 pm 

well, I mean, a roach or two has been known to increase creativity, but I think this is taking it a bit too far...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:19 pm 

I didn't even bring it even thank goodness but it was a cluster to say the least. At this point raid is your friend. Lol. Hopefully I can salvage it.

Sent from the unknown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:04 am 

Killer score! Now we know not to open vintage equipment in doors :shock:

robgar91 wrote:
Did they want to jam?

Only one, Papa Roach. CUT E-FFECTS IN TO PIECES, THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:20 am 

Hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 am 

Needless to say, my wife wasn't impressed with my purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 am 

:lol:
Nwkenning wrote:
well, I mean, a roach or two has been known to increase creativity, but I think this is taking it a bit too far...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 am 

That’s pretty awesome. I plan on getting a Boss RV 500 that includes the RE-201 setting. Even though it’s digital, supposedly it sounds good. Maybe not as good as the original though. Nice find.