Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hand pain
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am 

So, basically from the time I started to play guitar with any seriousness I've always had pain in the pad of the thumb of my fret hand. To say it affects my practicing and that I'm tired of it is an understatement. Obviously, it really affects bar chord playing but it hurts all the time no matter what I play really.

Anyone ever deal with this? Anything work to help/eliminate it? It's right there in the area where the "pad muscle" is used. My hands aren't really big enough to where I can seat the neck in the palm of my hand, which helps when I do play that way at times, and do my thing so I always have this "pinching" effect to my fret hand.

I used to think I'm just not playing enough and that if I can push through I'll come out on the other side and it will have built itself up enough. But, I'm now doubting that thought process.

Post subject: Re: Hand pain
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:14 am 

Maybe some daily muscle/tendon stretching? It seems that almost everything from sciatic pain to tendonitis in the shoulder can potentially be helped by stretching. Since the meat muscle of the thumb is usually bunched up and holding some pressure on the neck, it may be beneficial to give it a whirl for a while. Also, if it's more of a cramp, perhaps throw a little extra potassium or magnesium in your diet. It could also be your form, perhaps you are simply putting too much pressure on the neck with your thumb?

In any event, that sucks. I hope you can find some relief.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:37 pm 

Loosen your grip? Are you squeezing it that hard? I’ve found myself squeezing the guitar neck like it owes me money a couple of times, that’s when I have to relax and breathe a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:37 pm 

If I'm honest I am a hard squeezer. I've thought that before. I find when I really concentrate I squeeze harder and don't realize it. It's not a cramp. It is like a tendonitis type feeling. I actually take a Mag supplement for other reasons. Right now I can actually feel, not pain, but a faint feeling there. The past few days it has been flared up.

Stretching might be an answer. I think I'll Google a bit.

If I find out I'm the only one who has this chronic pain, that will confirm all along how "special" I am :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:56 pm 

Position can have a big impact on things like this. Look at how classical gutitarists sit, their left wrist is completely straight and relaxed.

Everyone has hand pain, I have muscle knots between my thumb and index on both hands and knots in my shoulders from guitar.

Check out Pain Free by Pete Egoscue, that book will help you work out and get rid of any sort of chronic musculoskeletal pain. The principles of correct practice for guitar will show you how to play with as little tension as possible. These two books did a lot for my playing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:01 pm 

I'd see a hand orthopedist if I was you. Let a professional diagnose what's wrong & what your treatment options are.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:25 pm 

ckyvick wrote:
Position can have a big impact on things like this. Look at how classical gutitarists sit, their left wrist is completely straight and relaxed.

Everyone has hand pain, I have muscle knots between my thumb and index on both hands and knots in my shoulders from guitar.

Check out Pain Free by Pete Egoscue, that book will help you work out and get rid of any sort of chronic musculoskeletal pain. The principles of correct practice for guitar will show you how to play with as little tension as possible. These two books did a lot for my playing.

Thanks for the reference Vick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:27 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I'd see a hand orthopedist if I was you. Let a professional diagnose what's wrong & what your treatment options are.

I've thought about it Bob. I'm usually a guy that waits a long time, if called for, to see an ortho. But, this qualifies as a long time so I may consider this. Or next time I tear something I'll just add this to the visit :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:14 pm 

there's a pressure point right there, in what I think is called the "meatus" (yeah, awesome word) between the thumb and index finger. It's right where your hand starts to cramp from playing too many barre chords. Maybe some firm but gentle pinching of the pressure point would relieve some tension? Sort of like giving yourself a charlie horse to relieve a cramping muscle? I dunno. NOT a doctor lol