Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PPP Powdercoated boxes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:53 pm 

I have about 4 boxes powdercoated from Pedal Parts Plus.
I have to admit, I think they are on the cheap side.
I have had 4 other boxes powdercoated at my work and they are indestructable. When I asked my friend (who powdercoats for me) if they were durable to abuse, he took a panel about a foot long that was coming right off the line, and threw it at the ground. He handed it to me and there wasnt one scratch or dent. Only downside is, work only PC's 2 colors....black and white...that can get boring.
While putting the guts into 2 of my PPP boxes somehow I have managed to already scratch them! I can even see the aluminum underneath! They remind me of my Ipod, lol. I feel bad for saying this cause I like PPP and their service is great, but I think their PC service could be better.
Another thing about PPP is that all 4 of my PC boxes have flaws in them. They are not as smooth as they should be. Powdercoating should resemble the smooth glossy look of say, a washer or dryer.
On a side note, I purchased Rustoleums Epoxy Enamel paint (white) and it looks BETTER then PPP AND replicates PC exactly (but without the durability.... just like PPP)
Im just a little pissed that I managed to scratch them so damn easily. I dont even know HOW they got scratched. Right down to the bare metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:57 am 

I haven't talked to Kirk about it, but somewhere on his site I saw where the PC was being called paint. They may, and I don't know for sure, be using a similar application to your Rustoleum, and calling it powder. I do powder as a hobby, and you're correct about it's ability to take a beating. I just recently did this looper with a red that I was playing with, and you almost can't hurt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 am 

A while back I asked Kirk about their "powder coating" service and his reply led me to believe that they don't do a true powder coat. That's when I decided to heck with it and gave all my pedals my non-finish finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:52 am 

Stephen wrote:
A while back I asked Kirk about their "powder coating" service and his reply led me to believe that they don't do a true powder coat. That's when I decided to heck with it and gave all my pedals my non-finish finish.

The price to have one "powder coated" is what initially tipped me off. I haven't seen anyone else offering PC that cheap. I don't think I would do it that cheap.