Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:56 am 

Thousands of years in the future, there will be wealthy people who can afford to become cyborgs and live much longer while the poor people will still remain human and live average life spans. There will even be humans who will try to DIY themselves to become cyborgs.

There will be a division between those two groups and even social conflict from time to time. That is my prediction for the future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 am 

I think the bootleg biometric enhancement market will be pretty lucrative. By the time Android Zulu 2.0 comes out, maybe the patch to stop elbow actuators from randomly activating, causing you to throw coffee at BMW drivers will be released.

But really though, there was a proposed product that was like a contact lens that would give you a sort of real-life HUD something like 10 years ago I read about. Since then, I have been wanting something cool like that. Maybe not something invasive like replacing my lungs with gills, but something simple like a real-life HUD would make me a very happy dude.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:52 pm 

You should watch Altered Carbon on Netflix. Rich people can live forever by digitally implanting their minds into either poor people who have died or into clones of themselves.

Not the best show ever but no bad either.

I can't get enough minimalism.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:08 pm 

coolhand wrote:
Not the best show ever but no bad either.

It's oddly gripping though. I agree that it's not the best show out there, but after like 2 or 3 eps, I was hooked.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:25 pm 

Nwkenning wrote:
It's oddly gripping though. I agree that it's not the best show out there, but after like 2 or 3 eps, I was hooked.

I totally agree. I liked it. I just didn't want to be the guy that over hypes a show just to be told by folks about how much it sucks :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:08 pm 

Altered Carbon came to mind too. It’s already happening to a certain extent. The rich can get surgeries and buy organs regular people can’t.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:57 pm 

Dick Cheney didn't have a heartbeat for a while, then was able to get a new heart. Modern medicine is fascinating to say the least.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:02 pm 

Well at least us poor people will still serve a purpose. They will need throwaway humans for the elites' immortality research

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:17 am 

We're looking at decades, not thousands of years. The exponential gains in computing power, nanotechnology, genetic engineering, AI etc are going to bring the singularity a lot sooner than we think. Start saving now, friends. Those of us born as early as 1970 will probably live long enough to live forever - either by consciousness upload/synthetic body, or by internal nanotech repair - IF we can afford it. Ray Kurzweil, head of engineering at Google, is the author of a number of books in this area. His future predictions have enjoyed an eerily high level of accuracy. Kurzweil puts the "singularity" - when our society is so changed by technology that we can't survive without it - as early as 2047. So far, events are largely on pace, although market downturns and various wars cause some small delays...

If you're into this sort of thing, check out "The Singularity is Near" or if you're not into lengthy, heavily-cited academic works, watch the docudrama about his life, "Transcendent Man".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:18 pm 

This is a great book on the subject, too - and a much easier read:

https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Age-Consc ... 6174931709

Oh, and Keith - your HUD contact debuted at CES... in 2014! At the time, they still required glasses with tiny projectors built in that would focus the HUD onto the contact to overlay it on your field of vision. The military has been working to get it to a 1-piece design for several years, and you can bet DARPA is making progress :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:32 pm 

One more thing to consider, and then I'll quit sh*t posting in this thread :lol:

"They took our jobs!"

What will we do when such a large portion of the employment economy has been taken by AI-equipped machines that most humans are simply unemployable? It has already begun, but will really make a splash when it happens with truckers. Fully autonomous long-haul cargo vehicles that are safer than human drivers will be available within the next few years. Once they're proven safer, cheaper, and more reliable than human drivers, how long will it be before ol' Smokie and the Bandit will need to find a new job? And how long will it be before the NEW job they train for is ALSO replaced by intelligent machines?

There are two main possible outcomes...

1. We continue "business as usual", leading to massive unemployment, a huge drain on our social programs, and a massive gulf between the few (rich) folks who either own the businesses or fill an AI-proof niche. We end up having to implement population control measures and create massive public housing "ghettos" that most workers will never be able to escape from with no upward mobility or opportunity. Society stagnates and eventually collapses under its own weight.

2. We implement a Universal Basic Income funded by "salaries" paid to machines by businesses. Basically, every company pays an hourly wage to its robots, comparable to what they would have to pay a human for the same work, which goes into a massive slush fund. From this, every citizen gets an equal share. Remember, since robots can run 24hrs/day, many robot "jobs" will pay the equivalent of three full time human jobs. By the time unemployment starts getting crazy high, the fund should be putting out a survival wage to every citizen. That would allow us all to continue our education, follow our dreams, etc without having to worry about how you'll eat. A career in music, the arts, or custom pedal building will actually be plausible! The benefit to companies is higher reliability, no social or discipline problems, no harrassment suits, and the ability to produce perfect quality work 24/7. Of course, this will eliminate the need for HR departments and employment lawyers...

I'm a strong proponent of option 2. Completely fair, because the benefit to every person is identical. Self-reinforcing, positive feedback loop as the more jobs that disappear, the greater the UBI will be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:23 am 

Great posts Captain.
Universal salary eh? Getting corporations to willingly give away profits eh? Let’s hope government cocked to its senses and makes it law.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:32 am 

Meanwhile, I'm on a beach with flip flops and shorts drinking a beer picking a guitar. Hell in 2047 I'll be 83 or will have long ago been dead.

Good luck to you young fellers :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:28 am 

Not necessarily, John!

Long before then, we'll have rejection-proof replacement organs grown from your own stem cells, cures for most types of cancer and many other diseases based on CRISPR or similar gene-editing tech, and possibly even nano-surgical robots that operate at the cellular level. Even with 10 years added for FDA approval, you might still have time. So eat your vegetables! :)

That 2047 "deadline" for the singularity basically describes the point at which technology will be advancing so fast that the only way for us to "keep up" will be to merge with the machines, like a "wetware" interface - basically your cell phone will be 1000 times more powerful, the size of a grain of rice, and implantable with a direct neurological interface. This will allow virtual reality to be literally indistinguishable from ACTUAL reality, meaning that even if your old, broken-ass body is stuck in a hospice somewhere, you will still be able to go nude skiing and hot tubbing with supermodels or jam with Joe Bonnamassa in his prime - and the experience will be totally indistinguishable from the real thing. Your memory will be perfect, you'll be able to "replay" experiences you've had (or that others have had) with full sensory immersion, and you'll have instant access to the whole of human knowledge. From there, it won't be long before we stop thinking of our bodies as ourselves, and consider the body as a vehicle for our consciousness. Once we fully understand how the brain works (admittedly, a HUGE hurdle), we'll be able to model it using quantum computers. From there, it's another smaller step to "upload" your consciousness and memories from your biological brain to a computer that can be fitted with your choice of android/cyborg body. That's a one-way trip, of course... but it sure beats dying. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 am 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
Not necessarily, John!

Long before then, we'll have rejection-proof replacement organs grown from your own stem cells, cures for most types of cancer and many other diseases based on CRISPR or similar gene-editing tech, and possibly even nano-surgical robots that operate at the cellular level. Even with 10 years added for FDA approval, you might still have time. So eat your vegetables! :)

That 2047 "deadline" for the singularity basically describes the point at which technology will be advancing so fast that the only way for us to "keep up" will be to merge with the machines, like a "wetware" interface - basically your cell phone will be 1000 times more powerful, the size of a grain of rice, and implantable with a direct neurological interface. This will allow virtual reality to be literally indistinguishable from ACTUAL reality, meaning that even if your old, broken-ass body is stuck in a hospice somewhere, you will still be able to go nude skiing and hot tubbing with supermodels or jam with Joe Bonnamassa in his prime - and the experience will be totally indistinguishable from the real thing. Your memory will be perfect, you'll be able to "replay" experiences you've had (or that others have had) with full sensory immersion, and you'll have instant access to the whole of human knowledge. From there, it won't be long before we stop thinking of our bodies as ourselves, and consider the body as a vehicle for our consciousness. Once we fully understand how the brain works (admittedly, a HUGE hurdle), we'll be able to model it using quantum computers. From there, it's another smaller step to "upload" your consciousness and memories from your biological brain to a computer that can be fitted with your choice of android/cyborg body. That's a one-way trip, of course... but it sure beats dying. :roll:

You had me at nude skiing and hot tubbing it with supermodels with jamming with Joe a distant second :lol:

Look, can I just get some damn hair to grow on my increasing in size forehead? You didn't mention that anywhere in there :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm 

It's science, John - not magic :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:08 pm 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
It's science, John - not magic

Harsh!! :wink: :lol:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm 

CaptainPeyote wrote:

:cry: *quietly puts on hat*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 am 

CaptainPeyote wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:07 am 

In all seriousness, though... if memory serves, male pattern baldness is linked to a change in hormone balance which affects the hair follicles. Injectable nanobots could repair the damage while releasing targeted hormones. So that nanomedicine could likely reverse your baldness. Sort of like when you go to the mechanic and he's like, "well, I was in there to replace your alternator, and I noticed the spark plugs were old, so I replaced them while I was in there"

no word on whether they could assist me with a "very average" issue I've suffered from tho :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:07 am 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
In all seriousness, though... if memory serves, male pattern baldness is linked to a change in hormone balance which affects the hair follicles. Injectable nanobots could repair the damage while releasing targeted hormones. So that nanomedicine could likely reverse your baldness. Sort of like when you go to the mechanic and he's like, "well, I was in there to replace your alternator, and I noticed the spark plugs were old, so I replaced them while I was in there"

no word on whether they could assist me with a "very average" issue I've suffered from tho :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guitar playing? :?

Oh you mean......well like you said, it's science not magic :lol:

I wonder who wants to be the first guy to say "yeah, sure, inject that puppy and let's see what happens".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:06 pm 

TNblueshawk wrote:
Guitar playing? :?

Burns don't get much sicker than that! Well played pal.