Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Punk Rock... pedal
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:15 pm 

What would be a good pedal for Punk Rock music? Weezer... The Queer.. MXPX.. etc.

Just got in a band playing mostly punk rock.. with some lighter stuff mixed in. Playing some Beatles tunes as well.

I understand that some of this may not be Punk to some.. either way.. That is what we are playing. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:10 pm 

I'd definitely say the Large Beaver (Big Muff clone). It can get those nice chunky chords and over the top fuzz. It's what I use for punk stuff.

-BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:42 pm 

TY. One thing I want to do.. is go from barely overdriven.. like some of the RHCP stuff... To the heavier stuff with just the hit of the switch.

Like.. I wanna use the TS9 for the lighter stuff.. and the Beaver for the heavier. My only question, is if I run both the TS9 and Beaver at the same time, will the TS9 effect it much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:41 am 

Actually, I would strongly suggest a Mighty Mouse over a Large Beaver for high gain sounds. If you put it MM in turbo mode, and dial in the tone so that it's not too woofy, you should be able to get a nice high gain that allows for some tight palm muting. The MM also works well in series with the Screamer (either before or after, dependeing on your preference). The LB is a good pedal, but I don't think it lends itself to the some of the newer styles of punk.

It may be a good idea to hang on another month for the shredder kit. I haven't played one myself, but it seems like it may be well suited to what you are looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:31 am 

Mighty Mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:38 am 

+1 on the mighty mouse for "classic" punk tones. My rhythm guy uses it with his deville and we have it dialed for awesome British Punk tones. To my ears it does Steve Jones to a T.

Large Beaver is more Pumpkins/Dinosaur Jr. (think more fuzz than distortion). I love the beaver (hehe) but it's way more indie rock than punk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:43 am 

Thanks guys! When I sell my guitar, I plan on buying a Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 also. So that was sort of cool that he had that amp as well, or at least close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:25 am 

The MM is likely best, but with the Fender deville, the 250+ built to MXR specs would also be very good.

Canadian Distro of BYOC pedal kits