Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tele project
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:17 am 

I built a '52 style tele a while ago, and I've never been particularly happy with the body/finish (I didn't read an ebay auction well enough and it ended up being a three piece body instead of a two piece), so I've decided to buy a new body and do it right...

This got me thinking, and this is where I need some help...What I'd like to do is take the other body and make a tele with two p-90s. I'd rather make it traditional tele style (as opposed to '72 deluxe style), but I'm running into some mental hiccups.

First question: How do I mount soap bar pickups? I know I'll need to route out the holes from my other tele body quite a bit, but is there anything else to it? Do you put foam or anything under the p-90, or do you just sink the screws straight into othe wood?

Second question: Do I use traditional fender 250k pots for the tone and volume, or do I use the more "Gibson" style 500k?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:46 am 

soapbars just mount directly into the wood but they do require a pretty deep route.

You could go with a P-90 in a single coil size to keep the tele bridge. The Rio Grande Dirty Harry sounds great as a tele bridge replacement. A friend of mine put one in his tele. It is definately different than the traditional tele sound but great in its own way.

Most p-90s use 500k pots but you could experiment with the 250k. Who knows you may like it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 am 

I'm not sure how easy it is to find a tele bridge set up for a p90. You may have to cut your own, or go a different route for the bridge.

I built a les paul with p90s last year, and used a 500k volume and 250k tone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:36 pm 

I can't find one that's being made...I planned on using the bridge from a '72 RI (kind of like a fixed bridge on a strat) and sinking the p-90 straight into the axe. Worst case scenario I can always buy a '72 deluxe style pickguard, but it adds knobs and complexity to an axes that really doesn't need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:36 pm 

StillLearnin' wrote:
I can't find one that's being made...I planned on using the bridge from a '72 RI (kind of like a fixed bridge on a strat) and sinking the p-90 straight into the axe. Worst case scenario I can always buy a '72 deluxe style pickguard, but it adds knobs and complexity to an axes that really doesn't need it.

The one problem you may run into with this is that the mounting holes are in different places than on the traditional tele bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:11 pm 

Guitarfetish make a tele bridge with a humbucker mounting hole (as do a number of other vendors) and they also sell a humbucker sized P90 that'll fit any standard humbucker route.