Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:43 am 

It seems like this forum has some kind of hinting to Google to not index its content. I often do site-specific Google searches using the "site:whatever.com search keywords" form. But when I do that with this site, I don't get any forum responses. For example, if I enter this query "site:byocelectronics.com bluesbreaker", I only get one result: the British Blues Build Instructions. But if I use this forum's built in search feature, and enter "bluesbreaker", I get tons of results (403 matches at the time of this writing, it should go up after this post).

From my very minimal knowledge of SEO/search engine indexing, I think you can configure a website to be ignored. Could that be the case here?

I know the forum has a built-in search, but it's not as effective as Google's. In particular, it doesn't appear to honor words with three characters or less. For example, I was trying to search for "bluesbreaker 33k" and in the results are exactly the same as searching only for "bluesbreaker". If I search for "33k" only, I get zero results. Same goes for what should be super-common terms like "pot" or "10k". (To be fair, I believe this may be done deliberately for performance/resource reasons, as there is a cost to having robust indexing and search capabilities on a website.)

I humbly suggest it might be worth BYOC's time to look into this, could drive more traffic (and therefore sales!) to the site. :)