Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:02 pm 

Hey all!

It occurred to me I never shared my music with the forum. It's relevant because my entire pedal board is BYOC kits. The band is is called The Implosions and we are from Las Vegas, NV. We're somewhere in the neighborhood of garage rock and 70's punk with a female vocalist.
On this record, my rig rundown is as follows: Epiphone Alleykat > Boss TU3 > Classic Phaser (Script) > Mouse on asymmetrical O.D. mod > Chancellor > Large Beaver (Ram's) > Tremelo > FET preamp > Fender Custom '68 Twin w/ reverb around 2/3.
Have a listen here on bandcamp:
http://theimplosionslv.bandcamp.com/album/las-vegas
We're also on Spotify, Pandora, Apple, Amazon, etc.

Since that release, I've changed up a few items in the rig. I realized I hated the Alleykat. I had a guitar player's existential crisis and end up with a Reverend Double Agent W. It is one of the best guitars I've ever played: humbucker bridge, P90 neck, Wilkinson trem bridge. It is super versatile and I'm in love.
On the board now, I've changed out the Mouse for a Green Pony and the Chancellor for a Crown Jewel. I'm also working in the Analog Delay probably after the tremelo.

Just recently a compilation was released by Lavasocks Records on Bandcamp and cassette tape (yes, tape!) comprised of 22 bands playing unique versions of the riot grrrl anthem Rebel Girl by Bikini Kill. The Implosions recorded a sultry garage version that I am particularly proud of. The band's styles on the compilation across new wave and various punk rock sub genres, and some other odd balls (Chissum Worthington is amazing. Check him out on YouTube.) The all profits from the compilation will be donated to Bay Area Girls Rock Camp.

On this recording, I used the Reverend on the neck P90 > Green Pony > Tremelo > Twin Reverb for most of the song and did a second track with the Classic Fuzz.
Listen here (we're track 8):
http://lavasocksrecords.bandcamp.com/album/rebel-girl

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Mr.Dave

P.S. Photo attached of the rig during the Rebel Girl recording session.Image

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 am 
Site Admin

The second link takes you to another band's version of Rebel Girl. I like your take on that song. Do you guys ever play at the Golden Tiki?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:07 pm 

Thanks! I'm pretty proud of the arrangement.

We havent played the Golden Tiki as a band yet. Our drummer and bass player gig in another band called Thee Swank Bastards that plays the Golden Tiki pretty regularly. Our drummer also plays there with The Hypnotiques (friggin drummers...)
The Golden Tiki has a sister property downtown called Evel Pie, an Evel Kneivel themed pizza place, that throws shows on the back patio that we've played a few times. Naturally, the Double Down is where we end up more often than not.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

mrdavenixon wrote:
Thanks! I'm pretty proud of the arrangement.

We havent played the Golden Tiki as a band yet. Our drummer and bass player gig in another band called Thee Swank Bastards that plays the Golden Tiki pretty regularly. Our drummer also plays there with The Hypnotiques (friggin drummers...)
The Golden Tiki has a sister property downtown called Evel Pie, an Evel Kneivel themed pizza place, that throws shows on the back patio that we've played a few times. Naturally, the Double Down is where we end up more often than not.

I've seen Thee Swank Bastards there! They were a lot of fun. You've got a bit of a surf/punk/psychobilly thing going on, so I figured you guys might play some place like the Golden Tiki. Frankie's doesn't have live music, do they. I don't know....I'm just a tourist.
I've never been to the Double Down. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Vegas. Maybe I'll get to see you guys play.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:24 pm 

byoc wrote:

I've seen Thee Swank Bastards there! They were a lot of fun. You've got a bit of a surf/punk/psychobilly thing going on, so I figured you guys might play some place like the Golden Tiki. Frankie's doesn't have live music, do they. I don't know....I'm just a tourist.
I've never been to the Double Down. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Vegas. Maybe I'll get to see you guys play.

The Implosions don't have enough songs to do the 3 sets the Golden Tiki wants every night. We don't have a covers set, just the originals. I'm working on a new record, so maybe one day? Moat bands that play there are doing cover sets.

Thee Swank Bastards is one main guy on guitar with a team of rhythm players. I'm not sure how many he has on the roster these days. Every year, the day after Thanksgiving, he puts together a show at the Double Down called Bass-travaganza. He recruits as many bass players as possible and a handful of drummers and he rotates them all night. For the finale, everyone plays Big Bottom by Spinal Tap. I've never taken part, since I'm always out of town with my family. I hear it's fun simply because the number of bass players alone makes for a decent crowd.

Frankie's has had live music (probably Thee Swank Bastards) but I can't imagine how. It's pretty small. Frankie's is owned by the same guy that owns the Double Down.
The Double Down is a Las Vegas punk rock mainstay. It's sort of near the airport and the Hard Rock (now former Hard Rock...) There also a location in NYC. Love it or hate it, it is an institution in Las Vegas. Many venues have come and gone, but the Double Down endures.

Speaking of venues, is there still a place called the Frontier(?) up there? I played Richland on tour back in '02. It was one of our most fun shows on that tour (and the after party was pretty crazy too.)

Let me know next time you're in town!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

We used to have a decent music scene for how small we are. The Frontier Tavern has been gone for probably 15 years. It's a cupcake place now, called Frost Me Sweet. It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives recently. Ray's Golden Lion is gone now too. It's been sitting vacant for a few years. They were the only places in town to see bands other than the standard Blues/Classic Rock cover bands. Even those are going away now too. Everything is karaoke now. Or the obligatory noodly acoustic duo drivel at one of our many wineries. Kids just don't care about live music that much these days. It's dark times for live music in Tri-Cities.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:56 pm 

That's it! The Frontier Tavern! Someone from Portland told us to book in the Tri-Cities. It was either someone from Lopez or The Burning Cyndies. We played with a band with a name like June Bug or something like that? I bet I have pictures somewhere

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 am 

How cool! I went to look for my pictures from that tour. They're in a box under a box behind a box on a high shelf. Needless to say, I didn't get to them. Maybe later!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:02 am 

Great rig and band. Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:01 am 

Thanks!

I just updated and added the analog delay to the board. Time to write a new record!Image