Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:19 am 

A friend and I were chatting about this idea, and neither of us could come up with an explanation. Why is it that the modern solid state amps (Quilter, etc.) sound so good when clean, but still often sound so bad on the dirty channel? Especially since they take pedals so well! Why wouldn't an amp builder just use a classic overdrive circuit, tune it to the amp, miniaturize it, and drop it in the chassis in place of whatever they're doing for their crunch/dirty channel?

Not sure how many of you use these amps or have the technical knowledge about what might be making this impractical, but I'm curious what you think.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:12 pm 

I guess it’s subjective really. If amp makers / builders made their amps sound like something else, I would rear her have the original I suppose. I wonder if a particular age group would rather have solid state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:27 pm 

Pretty sure Ibanez did exactly what you suggest - they've got a SS head with an 808 built right in :)

I ran into something very similar as well when I worked on an old Traynor combo for a buddy. It sounded surprisingly good for an old SS amp. When I opened her up, there was a dual op-amp gain circuit right there at the front end. I didn't trace it, but it sure looked similar to a TS setup, might even have had feedback loop clipping. I'm a power tubes distortion guy, so it wasn't really my thing, but still pretty decent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:51 pm 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
Pretty sure Ibanez did exactly what you suggest - they've got a SS head with an 808 built right in :)

I ran into something very similar as well when I worked on an old Traynor combo for a buddy. It sounded surprisingly good for an old SS amp. When I opened her up, there was a dual op-amp gain circuit right there at the front end. I didn't trace it, but it sure looked similar to a TS setup, might even have had feedback loop clipping. I'm a power tubes distortion guy, so it wasn't really my thing, but still pretty decent.
I had to know. Yep, they do.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ibane ... gJT3vD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:51 am 

Whoops, looks like I was wrong about it being solid state, though...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -tube-head

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:20 am 

I really like the way my Katana sounds, it's not a tube amp but it does the job nicely at low levels

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 am 

ckyvick wrote:
I really like the way my Katana sounds, it's not a tube amp but it does the job nicely at low levels

I had a Katana until about two days ago—had to sell it to pay off the AC15—and I was always really happy with the cleans, and with how it took pedals, including the modeled ones built in. I never took it off the "clean" setting, though. Maybe a matter of taste, but the dirty channels didn't do much for me. Still, a superb amp for the money!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:21 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
I had a Katana until about two days ago—had to sell it to pay off the AC15—and I was always really happy with the cleans, and with how it took pedals, including the modeled ones built in. I never took it off the "clean" setting, though. Maybe a matter of taste, but the dirty channels didn't do much for me. Still, a superb amp for the money!

I set it to brown and Crank the gain, I like the way it does the metal. Some of the effects are pretty bad though