Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:59 am 

In the interest of accuracy, I'd suggest that MF rename their "Stupid Deal of the Day" feature to "Worthless Crap that Nobody Wants"! Seems to me that the stuff that they offer this way just keeps getting worse and worse. Used to be that they would put up a decent guitar or useful accessory every several days, but lately it just seems to be one piece of useless trash after another. :roll: Or is it just me? What do you guys think? :?:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:43 am 

I had never heard of this company... I'll check it out! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:07 am 

I once had a real bad customer service experience with MF and have never spent a dime with them since. Occasionally I do check out the deals—mostly when you link to them! Seems like they had a rotation of a few models that were solid and then yeah, a lot of junk.

I shop at Sweetwater. Their prices match everyone else's (or they'll make it so), and they are fabulous to work with. No stupidity, in their deals or anywhere else! :mrgreen:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:13 am 

sjaustin wrote:
I once had a real bad customer service experience with MF and have never spent a dime with them since. Occasionally I do check out the deals—mostly when you link to them!

And as you may have noticed, I haven't been posting hardly any of those Stupid Deals lately!

sjaustin wrote:
Seems like they had a rotation of a few models that were solid and then yeah, a lot of junk.

Yep! When the overstocks of lower-end G&L and DeAngelico guitars ran out, SDOTD degenerated to a junk-fest.

sjaustin wrote:
I shop at Sweetwater. Their prices match everyone else's (or they'll make it so), and they are fabulous to work with. No stupidity, in their deals or anywhere else! :mrgreen:

Same here!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:12 pm 

I agree. I check it often, just crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:08 pm 

I've got a pair of mic stands coming from the SDOTD, but that's the first worthwhile item I've seen for months. I used to check it nearly every day while wasting time at work... but now I hardly look because it's usually just some garbage. I did get a nice D'Angelico a while back, and I've pulled the trigger on lots of other stuff too. Honestly, it feels like MF is in trouble. They're the same company as Guitar Center, and I know they've been struggling for a while. They occasionally do a "stupid deal of the hour" where they have multiple items in a single day. Sometimes good stuff shows up there. But who has time to check a website 10 times a day just to see what's up?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:36 pm 

And today (10/20) they actually featured a D'Angelico semi-hollow with P90s, so I guess they must have found a couple in a back room somewhere!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:29 pm 

If they come up again, the semi-hollow D'Angelico SS I bought is a really nice guitar. It's from the cheapest of the three lines they offer, but everything on it is great except for the cheap plastic nut that interferes with proper tuning a bit. I'm confident that when I replace it, it'll be as nice or nicer than the Epiphone equivalent. I tried to fix it with a nut file, but the plastic just started turning to mush instead of being filed off. The neck feels really nice otherwise, slim enough for comfort, fat enough to really grab it, and not as wide as the new Gibson necks which is important for guys like me that play barre chords by hooking their thumb around to fret the 6th string. The pups are great too, electronics seem solid with a slightly wider range of tones than the usual and an overall warm, meaty sound and nice sustain. And if you dig the art deco aesthetic, then the cosmetic stuff is really nice too. I bet their middle and high end lines are really great.

So yeah - praise for the new stuff from D'Angelico, especially when it's on sale! But a big "MEH" to the SDOTD.