Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BNGD! (x2)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:50 pm 

Belated New Guitars Days!

Been 'moving some things around' for money, fixing a lot of things for money, and even playing a few shows for money. And using said coin to buy myself some fancy guitars that I never thought I'd have.

Back in the fall, I started thinking about finding something like a Les Paul for a beefier rock tone for about half the songs in the set. I work on all of the guitars for the local shop, and so I get a decent amount really cheap to really expensive guitars across my bench and get to "evaluate" them to make sure everything works. With all those guitars across the bench, I haven't really found a Les Paul that I really get along with. So I was looking for a Les Paul-like guitar. And I came across a Duesenberg...

Attachment:
Deuz II.jpg
Deuz II.jpg [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 3212 times ]

Found it for a price well below the going rate from a seller in Japan. Made an offer and scored it for even less, This thing is money in the bank.

Attachment:
Deuz.jpg
Deuz.jpg [ 1.97 MiB | Viewed 3212 times ]

It's a 2012 Starplayer TV in Vintage White. This is probably the nicest vintage-style instrument I've ever had. The fit and finish easily rivals custom shop Fenders and Gibsons. Everything is done extremely well on it. The frets are plecked and feel like butter. The neck shape is fantastic. The tuners somehow bring you joy when turning them. Easily the best-designed Bigsby-style vibrato I've touched. The neck P-90 is a bit brighter than a traditional P-90 (that's good), the bridge humbucker does fantastic, big, modern rock tones (think Grohl, Shiflet), and the middle position has an innovative wiring scheme that sounds like the pickups are sort of half out of phase (not quite Peter Green, and almost bridge/middle strat quack, but really it's own thing). Volume mod is tuned and works great. Tone knob sweep is just wonderful. Also, the hard case is ridiculously nice. Like, I kind of want to sleep in it nice.

The one flaw - it has a decent bit of neck dive. Enough that I've gone through several straps trying to find the one that let's it hang well. I suspect it's because the body is very lightweight. That bugs me. I think that I tend to float my fretting hand, and guitars that neck dive are really distracting to me.

Post subject: Re: BNGD! (x2)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:44 pm 

Through all the Deuzey stuff, I couldn't get this guitar that I worked on over the summer out of my head. I had done a fret level & recrown on an ES-335 for one of the players in town. It was a really nice instrument. I've had a few 335 variants (Washburn, Epiphone, Starcaster-style build) and I never got along with them. But this 335 was quite a lot nicer and had a certain clarity to the sound that was always missing in my other, wannabe 335 knock-offs. And I couldn't stop thinking about how well it did what it did. So I finally went out a got a new ES-335 knock off. :lol: Meet my new-to-me 2002 Gibson ES-333.

Attachment:
333.jpg
333.jpg [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 3211 times ]

20 years old, thin nitro finish, vintage sunburst. That's the good stuff that came with this guitar. ES-333's were made for just a few years in the early aughts as a lower cost 335. Stock, these also came with uncovered Gibson 490 pickups (I don't like those), no pick guard (meh, I can go either way), and also has a silkscreened log instead of inlaid pearloid and leaves off the cool ES-335 crown inlay in the headstock.

Attachment:
333 Stock.jpg
333 Stock.jpg [ 2.06 MiB | Viewed 3211 times ]

Also, 333's have a cutout on the back of the guitar, which is great for us freaks that tend to change cap values and pickups as almost as often as we change our strings. :lol: (i.e. hollowbody guitars are a PITA to work on the electronics)

Attachment:
333 Back.jpg
333 Back.jpg [ 1019.01 KiB | Viewed 3211 times ]

So, I was kind of watching 333's for a while, but the prices on them went way up during the pandemic (I know, because of people like me, buying a bunch of guitars). And I'd have to make all these mods to it- put on 1958-style gold top hats, add a bigsby, install boutique pickups, probably do a fret job and give it a new bone nut, you know, all that usual stuff. Then this guitar showed up on Reverb with everything I wanted to do to it already done and listed for the same price as non-modded versions! And it sat for two months while I stewed on it. One day in January, the seller suddenly lowered the price by 20% and I couldn't smash that buy it now button fast enough. :lol:

This guitar smokes. Great feeling neck. The frets were so well done and the fingerboard binding feels luxurious. No sharp edges anywhere. A lot of semi-hollowbody guitars neck dive a bit and players often try to get a strap pin installed on the upper bough, like where you find it on a strat. The bigsby balances that out and this thing hangs perfectly at like a 15 degree angle. It's hard to describe, but when I wear this guitar it feels like it's a part of me. When I take both hands off to shake them out, it stays put. I think that I keep going on like a lunatic about how a guitar hangs because I play a lot of 3-4 hour bar gigs. :lol: And how invasive a guitar feels when strapped on comes to matter a lot after a while. I'm sorry, but I forget which brand pickups this guitar has in it. Some boutiquey, hand wound job. But what I care about is that they are low wind with weak alnico magnets. This makes them play brighter and clearer than your more modern, overwound humbuckers. The neck pickup is bright and hollow sounding enough, with minimal woofiness. And the bridge pickup has that great PAF "tele on steroids" bright and brash thing to it. I love it. I was able to dial in the pickup height just right so when I switch back and forth between this and my tele, there is minimal change in rig volume.

Anyway, long live the ES-333! I'm very happy with it. Now to scratch this Gretsch itch... :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:14 am 

Wow. We have a happy Morgan! Congrats. Gibson is sweet, but that Deuce!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:06 am 

Dude, are our brains the same thing? These guitars are basically perfect. I mean wow. The 335 knockoff I have is the guitar that made me really "get" and love electric guitar after years of playing acoustic. That 333 is a beaut.

I've never played a Duesenberg but always dreamed of it. Those pickups look very Gretsch-y, including the single coil. I ended up selling the T-Armonds I tried out in my Gretsch for a while, but I contemplated keeping the neck one. I assume you've tried wide leather straps that grip the fabric of your shirt a little?

Unless you specifically want a bigger hollowbody, I don't think you're likely to find a Gretsch that outdoes the Duesenberg. As you know, with Gretsch their mid-tier line (5xxx) is an exceedingly good value, probably the best sub-$1,000 guitars out there, but the jump to the pro line is at least 3x. I absolutely love my 5420T, and I've put a bunch of time and money into making it even better. I am completely happy with it as my everyday workhorse. But… let's just say it's probably good for me that I've never played a Duesenberg. :wink:

Congrats man, these are wonderful instruments. Hope they serve you well for many years to come!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:30 am 

Day-um, man!! You had to go and buy a Duesey, didn't ya? I've been lusting for one since seeing Mike Campbell playing that royal blue one with the white center stripe at the 2008 Super Bowl half-time show! For whatever perverse reason, it's the "Outlaw" model with the black crocodile tolex top that really gets me drooling. Now, thanks to you, I'm gonna start looking at them again!! :roll: Thanks a pantload!! :wink:

Two beautiful guitars, Morgan. Well-played, sir!!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:32 am 

geekmacdaddy wrote:
Wow. We have a happy Morgan! Congrats. Gibson is sweet, but that Deuce!

Indeed :D Thanks Jeff!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:38 am 

sjaustin wrote:
Dude, are our brains the same thing?
:lol: I think maybe?

sjaustin wrote:
Unless you specifically want a bigger hollowbody, I don't think you're likely to find a Gretsch that outdoes the Duesenberg. As you know, with Gretsch their mid-tier line (5xxx) is an exceedingly good value, probably the best sub-$1,000 guitars out there, but the jump to the pro line is at least 3x...

Thanks for this. I've been really obsessing on the Fender-era MIJ Gretsch Jets, especially the Firebirds with the mud switch like THIS. But I really need to play one and they are so hard to find. But you mentioned that the Deuzy pickups look Gretsch-ish and that reminded me that TV Jones makes a humbuckered sized CLASSIC. That might scratch that itch for me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:44 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I've been lusting for one since seeing Mike Campbell playing that blue one with the white center stripe at the 2008 Super Bowl half-time show! For whatever perverse reason, it's the "Outlaw" model with the black crocodile tolex top that really gets me drooling.

Right - the Mike Campbell and Joe Walsh associations, plus Jason Isbell and Carl Broemel, is what got me wondering about them. I see now why a lot of the sort of country rock/americana dudes tend to play these. I saw one of those outlaw models in person once; it was really, really, well done.

duhvoodooman wrote:
Two beautiful guitars, Morgan. Well-played, sir!!

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:24 pm 

All I can say is WOW!!! Two beauties right there! Congratulations!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:45 pm 

Damn, those are nice. I've never even heard of a 333, so thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:08 pm 

Man, that’s sharp, Morgan. I’m just a Gibson fan. I’d like to have the smaller Les Paul size semi hollow body, but that’s much money. I’m going up to the Gibson Garage next month. Hopefully, I might bring home a souvenir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk