Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:02 pm 

...and here's why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CATfmQTa-Cc

Cooler bias means longer tube life. I used to bias the output tubes in push-pull amps to the "traditional" 70% of the max. dissipation wattage spec, but I've been hearing that 50 - 60% is warm enough to sound just as good and will extend tube life. And given the current situation in Russia, that makes a lot of sense. I've dropped the dissipation in my Allen Sweet Spot and my Fender HRD down to ~60% and they both still sound just as good as they did at 70%.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:09 am 

Yeah. I'm not sure I 100% trust Rhett on geopolitical or manufacturing topics, but I imagine tube prices will go crazy either way (whether from genuine scarcity or panic).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:49 am 

Yeah, I don’t think this is the end of tube amps just yet. To Duhvoodoomans point, you may not want to burn them out any time soon though. Might be difficult to replace them right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:16 am 

chip wrote:
Yeah. I'm not sure I 100% trust Rhett on geopolitical or manufacturing topics, but I imagine tube prices will go crazy either way (whether from genuine scarcity or panic).

As the kids say: "This." Panic buying is the worst thing we can do right now (not that anyone here is suggesting it).

I'm all for trying to maximize tube life though! My first tube amp was a Blues Junior, and I did the Bill M (RIP) mods on it to make the bias adjustable and cool it down. All the more reason now.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:01 am 

chip wrote:
I'm not sure I 100% trust Rhett on geopolitical or manufacturing topics....

Nor do I. But with the Chinese apparently out of the vacuum tube business now for awhile, the only sources (other than NOS tubes for mucho $$) have been Russia and JJ in Slovakia, And I don't think we're going to see any more Russian-made tubes after current stocks run out, at least for a long while. And if the pandemic has taught us anything, it's that people WILL panic and buy up stuff that they don't really need, driving up prices as stocks dwindle! So making your tubes last longer sure seems like a smart strategy to me....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

There's still JJ. The Chinese are still making tubes. Maybe this will change peoples' opinions of Chinese tubes. Yes, they do make some cheap tubes. But they also make some really nice tubes as well. Psvane make some really nice tubes.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:18 pm 

byoc wrote:
The Chinese are still making tubes.

Where do you find them, Keith? All I ever see on my favorite tube vendor sites are the various Russian brands and JJ's.

And I really hate being right all the time. :wink: The panic is in full swing:

Attachment:
tube_store_closed.gif
tube_store_closed.gif [ 50.35 KiB | Viewed 4079 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:59 pm 

Ah, it makes sense to me that they're still making tubes in China. I don't actually know anything about it...it just seemed like an odd claim from Rhett. But someone's gotta be making all the tubez that go into those headphone amps and RIAA pres that run on 9V wall warts.

I'm kind of glad that I never got deeply obsessed with tubes (even though it wouldn't have been a stretch for me to do so). I'm like 95% of the way out at this point. I traded in my Hot Rod Deluxe for a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb last year and I'm not looking back. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:17 pm 

I'll need to change my username to transistoramp. :? Prices are up and it tough to get new tubes. I believe that the China and Slovakia can fill the gap. It might take a while. I've been using JJ's, Chinese and some Russian tubes and NOS over the years. There are amps that eat tubes and some that don't. Rebias the amps that eat the tubes and see how they sound. You may end up happy with the new bias setup. In the meantime try an amp that doesn't consume lots of tubes. The Fender's Blues Jr. was supposed to be an EL84 eater.... I bought a 1st generation one new amp and used it for a lot of band practices/gigs and the Ruby tubes lasted for 6 years (they still worked). I just wanted to be safe so I put some new JJ's in.

Yes, yes I'll shut up and play my guitar with a tube amp. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:22 pm 

There's a new note up now saying that the tubes are flowing again (or will be).

https://shop.ehx.com/item/5881%20tungso ... -tung-sol/

Quote:
Attention All EHX Tube Customers

The export restriction on Russian tubes has been resolved for now. We are accepting new orders, processing backorders, and hoping to resume shipping in April. Priority will be given to the oldest orders.

Considering various economic pressures, we must raise our wholesale prices. This price increase will apply to all back- and new orders. Also, there will likely be a further price increase for tubes shipped from our NYC headquarters once the government implements heightened tariffs against Russian goods, akin to the 35% rate Canada is now imposing. Other territories, including EU, UK, and Japan, are expected to follow suit.

For all non-US customers facing such heightened tariffs and with combined Russian tube orders of $3K or more: Consider having our Russian warehouse directly ship such combined orders to the nearest international airport in your country. That will avoid our having to pass along the cost of the heightened US import tariff. Otherwise, you will, in effect, incur a double tariff on shipments imported first to NYC and then to a country with heightened tariffs.

You can cancel any backorder, but we do not recommend this; there is a tremendous shortage of tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:32 pm 

chip wrote:
There's a new note up now saying that the tubes are flowing again (or will be).

https://shop.ehx.com/item/5881%20tungso ... -tung-sol/

Quote:
Considering various economic pressures, we must raise our wholesale prices.

That link to Tung Sol 5881's shows a price of $51.20. I bought a pair back in December for $26.95 each. That's a 90% price increase. Bend over and grab your ankles.... :roll: :evil: More motivation to cool down those tube bias settings!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:11 pm 

Oof. That's a big increase.