Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:05 pm 

Hey, who here is a fellow CAD Monkey? All love and respect intended, I've been using and teaching CAD since the late 90's. I'm currently an AutoCAD instructor (to include the verticals like Plant3D, Mechanical, etc.) for a CAD reseller. Any other geeks in here?

Reason I ask, even though I've been using AutoCAD and it's verticals for two decades, I'm new to Autodesk Inventor. But being that I'm an instructor and tech support, I have access to Inventor, and I'm working on learning it as I go. Any Inventor users in here? Do any of y'all bring in your enclosures and start to put in circuits and whatnot? If so, what is your workflow? Do you have the enclosures in your content center, or do you just sketch a new one each time? Let's talk!
Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:34 pm 

I use AutoCAD LT a lot for work. Just 2D, mostly to create panel layout diagrams and wiring diagrams. I haven't found it useful for pedal building... yet :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:39 pm 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
I use AutoCAD LT a lot for work. Just 2D, mostly to create panel layout diagrams and wiring diagrams. I haven't found it useful for pedal building... yet :)

Well we need to change that, good Sir! Unfortunately LT is only for 2D... but we can always make orthographic views with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:23 pm 

Maybe a little better idea where I'm wanting to go with this...

While I was scrolling the facepage today, I came across a pedal that someone made where they utilized what was being called, the "point-to-point" method. I thought it was pretty cool! I cringe at the uncoated wires, but I was thinking maybe I could use solid core, insulated wire. (see picture, hopefully it'll make sense). Not my picture, not my project, I have asked for permission to share it though.

[Insert picture here once I have approval]

Here's a random picture from the internet while I wait for approval for the picture that started me down this rabbit hole.

It got me to thinking that I have all of these CAD softwares at hand, and I prefer to learn using practical applications. So why not learn Inventor and build pedals on there? Did a quick google search, came up with a site that has enclosure 3D models that are free and downloadable, so why not. Later on I plan on populating a content center library of them for easier use. (baby steps)

As much as I like the point to point options, there should be options for adding circuit boards and wires and whatnot to Inventor to do this as "traditional" as this newbie to the hobby knows.

So I imported a 1590B enclosure (see next picture) and I'll see if I can build the bass overdrive pedal that I just built. I'm going to try and have some fun with it. Anyone else want to participate in the shenanigans?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:57 pm 

Markus at Reeves Electro is producing playable art -- if only the enclosures were transparent :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:13 pm 

Guess I need to learn some more... started doing some searching on the google machine on how to build a PCB board... Guess Fusion 360 is a good software for doing so. So I found The Mimosa schematics (next pedal I want to build) and I am trying to recreate it in F360. I got some of the resistors placed on the screen, but I have no clue what to look for other components. Guess I need to learn what all the symbols mean on the schematics.

Not trying to steal designs, just trying to gain knowledge and have some fun while doing it. Anyone have any ideas where to start?