Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:08 pm 

Hello folks. It’s been awhile since I have shot the breeze here. I lurk from time to time and it got me to thinking how many of the “old timers”, if you will, still pop in but don’t post. I was recently clearing out some stuff and would run up on some old docs that I printed from folks of days gone by here. What prompted this was me getting around to either fixing pedals that bugged me or tweaking some that I thought might sound better and or re-biasing them. There were some great conversations several years ago.

Anyway, this thread may not get any traction but what the heck. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If you are one of the originals and or close to it in the early years (whatever date range that means) and feel like it pop in to tell us what is new and what you are into.

I’ll kick it off since I started the thread. I still build but have not posted them. I also don’t care how neat my wiring is since no one sees it :lol: I'll prove it when I post a build soon. I run hot and cold on motivation to still build pedals. Right now I'm running hot. Right before the Pandemic I want to say I bought about 20 boards from various places. I actually populated all of them at one time. No wiring etc... The Pandemic hit and I'm thinking well I guess I've got something to do. I did nothing for a few years. Anyway one of my many resolutions for 2024 was to get motived to finish these so I am.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:47 pm 

I would also add one of the more interesting things that recently happened was the house next to ours is a rental. The last single guy moved in last Summer. We eventually got around to meeting him in late Fall and I noticed he was wearing a Tedeschi Trucks sweatshirt to which I complimented him on his choice. He then says "..well I'm Susan's and Derek's guitar tech" to which I said yeah man whatever and laughed. Turns out he is. I pulled up a video of him explaining Tedeschi's rig to one of the rock mags, can't recall which one. Well, I didn't want to be "that guy" so I let it lay and figure I'll run into him as I have 1,345 questions to ask him. Winter hits and that's that.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I thought well I need a couple guitar set ups and why not let him do it. Long story short on his way out of my house after I loaned him a bunch of pedals to play with he says "so if you want Derek to try some of your pedals let me know." Uh....ok. He says Derek is playing the silver Klon a lot right now so I said here and tossed him one of my Klon's and said this is one version and I don't recall which one as I was unprepared.

He then took off for their little mini tour. So I immediately get to work on such thoughts as, I'm not worthy, what might he want to toy with, what has this guy never heard anyway, what works great, what needs fixing and on and on. So I start playing a bunch thinking well I guess this sounds good and that sounds good. Does he like fuzz? Probably not. Anyway, Ryan is back now and he takes off for a little longer tour coming up this week. I've got 5 pedals set and all but one are OD/Distortion type stuff. I have one fuzz that gets gritty but not too nasty if you don't want it to.

Frankly, I have no idea how serious he was but I won't be unprepared this time.

My thought is to let Ryan play them and tell me which ones Derek might like, if any, as he would know.

What would you do?

If anyone is wondering Derek Truck is on my Mount Rushmore of guitarists. It's the equivalent of some hack trumpet player having someone say Miles might try one of your trumpets or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:30 pm 

I still check in on the forum every 3-6 months or so. I have not picked up a soldering iron in years though. Unfortunately, I also do not pick up the guitar too much these days either. I'll always fondly remember the earlier days of DIY pedal building and forums like these. It was a good time and still is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:50 pm 

Love me some Derek Trucks. Susan has a voice, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:26 am 

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
I still check in on the forum every 3-6 months or so. I have not picked up a soldering iron in years though. Unfortunately, I also do not pick up the guitar too much these days either. I'll always fondly remember the earlier days of DIY pedal building and forums like these. It was a good time and still is.

Good to hear from you. Sorry you haven't picked up a guitar as it sounds like maybe you can't vs you found something else in life more fulfilling. I wish you well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:27 am 

jimilee wrote:
Love me some Derek Trucks. Susan has a voice, for sure.

Dude, I saw them at Red Rocks 2 years ago. If I wasn't so old I would have said it was life altering. I'm too old for my life to alter :lol:

As an aside Los Lobos opened for them and they absolutely kill it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:49 am 

I love this thread idea, and I hope lots of people chime in. (But I still think of YOU as a newbie :mrgreen: )

So cool about your neighbor. Did he actually set up your guitars? That would be amazing.

TTB closed out Peach Fest last year, and it was so good. They really know what they're doing. Quite a combination of sounds and talents on that stage. I always wonder how they can afford to pay everyone what they're worth. (Los Lobos is great too—I think they played Rochester Jazzfest several years ago, and I was really pleasantly surprised.)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:13 pm 

Nice story, 'Hawk! I'm a big TTB fan, seen them a few times. Derek is so good on slide that it's just plain scar, and Susan has such a great voice!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:57 am 

I still poke my head in here from time to time, although I barely ever said anything in the first place. Been a while since I've built anything since I generally lack the funds to buy anything, hopefully that'll change soon and I can get back into building.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:12 am 

great story, nice to hear from you! I'm not posting quite as much as I am building. into a tele, a Tele deluxe, buiding a U47 mic, fixing my homebrew C12 mic, and of course lots of pedals. Still lurking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:45 am 

Good to hear from all.

Scott: If you heard my guitar playing you would really think I'm a noob :lol: And yes he did set my guitars up.
Bob: his slide playing is historic. But when he throws that slide aside and digs in fingerpicking that SG it is equally mind blowing to me.

So he will be bringing over a broken Cry Baby that I think he said was an old one. He has a few other pedals I offered to fix as well. You will soon see me in the DIY thread :lol: Especially for the wah if he asks me to put in a 9v jack. I guess he just knows fixing guitars.

Stay tuned. I have to update someone who appreciates this besides my wife.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:59 am 

sjaustin wrote:
I love this thread idea, and I hope lots of people chime in. (But I still think of YOU as a newbie :mrgreen: )

You are BOTH newbies to some of us :mrgreen:

I'm still here most days during the week during work hours, as I have the free time at work :lol:

Like Brownie, I never really posted that much anyway.

I still play quite a bit but I haven't really built anything new in a few years. I do really miss when this forum was busier!

Always good to hear from the Ancient Ones!

I can't get enough minimalism.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:25 am 

coolhand wrote:
sjaustin wrote:

Word!! ;) :lol:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:58 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
coolhand wrote:
sjaustin wrote:

Word!! ;) :lol:

As someone who is retiring in March 2026 I don't feel new!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:17 pm 

Always good to see the old familiar faces! I still check this forum just about every day but don't post too often.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:11 am 
Site Admin

take the swing and give him the pedal!

I don't have the time to build much anymore but, the experiences over the years have benefited me greatly in troubleshooting other electronic stuffs.

Don't play much these days which I should remedy. Did some playing/recording back in the heart of COVID and also fun bit "playing" on a beach (YouTube) in a music video.

Moved to Chicago last September

(always lurking)

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:26 am 

As an update my neighbor flew out for the tour yesterday and took 2 of my Klon's for Derek to mess with. Should be interesting to see what feedback I get if any.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:54 pm 

coolhand wrote:
I do really miss when this forum was busier!

[100 emoji]

Me too. Thanks for this thread, John.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:42 am 

n00b here. Plan to be active. Hope there are more of us soon. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:10 pm 

TNblueshawk wrote:
I have to update someone who appreciates this besides my wife.

I got some bad news for you there, buddy :lol:

Nice to see some fellow Old Ones rising from our eldritch slumbers to bring a fresh wave of cosmic madness (and rippin' fuzz) to a new crop of n00bs...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:07 pm 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
TNblueshawk wrote:
I have to update someone who appreciates this besides my wife.

I got some bad news for you there, buddy :lol:

Nice to see some fellow Old Ones rising from our eldritch slumbers to bring a fresh wave of cosmic madness (and rippin' fuzz) to a new crop of n00bs...

Dang man, where's the love :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:30 am 

Sup y'all. I still keep the forum open in a tab and try to refresh every couple months. My bench is still set up, but it's currently piled with other projects I thought would be done years ago. I still have hopes of getting back at it like back in the day.

I've spent the last year renovating parts of my house 2 hours at a time after work. The other 30 seconds of free time I manage to muster is spent keeping these godforsaken German cars running.
Right as the pandemic hit, I started back in the bikeshop business. We actually did pretty well with the whole thing as people were looking to find activities they could do at a distance. There were a lot of supply chain issues, but my years of hoarding bits and parts paid off when we couldn't order anything.

Miss you all, this place helped me through some life changes over the years. Feels like my career change thread was just the other day and here I am talking about bikeshop stuff a full 10 years later. If you recall, I was getting into IT. That went well until my buddy sold the company. I thought 15 people was corporate, boy was I wrong. There are 215 people now and I feel lost. Another local firm has been reaching out to me for the past five or so years, I finally decided to answer the phone. We'll see how that goes. I kinda hope it sucks just as bad and I can go back to converting this community to two wheels.

Great thread, I'll be back.

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:39 am 

spin wrote:
Another local firm has been reaching out to me for the past five or so years, I finally decided to answer the phone. We'll see how that goes. I kinda hope it sucks just as bad and I can go back to converting this community to two wheels.

Hope it works out for you, Tommy. Best of luck :!:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:21 am 

spin wrote:
Sup y'all. I still keep the forum open in a tab and try to refresh every couple months. My bench is still set up, but it's currently piled with other projects I thought would be done years ago. I still have hopes of getting back at it like back in the day.

I've spent the last year renovating parts of my house 2 hours at a time after work. The other 30 seconds of free time I manage to muster is spent keeping these godforsaken German cars running.
Right as the pandemic hit, I started back in the bikeshop business. We actually did pretty well with the whole thing as people were looking to find activities they could do at a distance. There were a lot of supply chain issues, but my years of hoarding bits and parts paid off when we couldn't order anything.

Miss you all, this place helped me through some life changes over the years. Feels like my career change thread was just the other day and here I am talking about bikeshop stuff a full 10 years later. If you recall, I was getting into IT. That went well until my buddy sold the company. I thought 15 people was corporate, boy was I wrong. There are 215 people now and I feel lost. Another local firm has been reaching out to me for the past five or so years, I finally decided to answer the phone. We'll see how that goes. I kinda hope it sucks just as bad and I can go back to converting this community to two wheels.

Great thread, I'll be back.

Hey Tommy, long time no chat. I did that home remodeling thing a few hours each day and long weekends as well over the years off and on. Never regretted it. Saved me tons of money.

Thanks for popping in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:15 am 

Still around - I check in occasionally like others.

Still building - little bits here and there.

Good to see you all !

Dan

http://www.danielzink.com