Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 pm 

I had a lot of fun building this circuit. It was a little rough in the beginning identifying parts but once I got that down it was pretty smooth sailing. The build instructions were complete and easy to understand. I did do a few modifications to the circuit. I wanted to to know if I could get more gain out of the circuit so I asked for help on the message board and got an answer pretty quick. duhvoodooman advised me by lowering the resistance of R5 (the emitter) and upping the resistance of R6 (the collector) I could up its gain from 29db to 40db so I put 25k variable resisters in place of the resisters R5 and R6 to find their limits and sweet spots. When I found its sweet spot I pulled the variable resister and checked its resistance and used that resistance in the circuit so I changed R6 (The collector) 10K resister to a 220k resister (its sweet spot) and R5 360R (the emitter) was left as a variable resistor. I left R5 as a variable resister because i got most gain response out of it using a variable resister and wanted to mount it on the outside of the encloser. It works really really good on the clean channel of my amp but on the dirty channel it doesn't work as well, I dont know why. I don't hear much change in the signal between it being on and off using the dirty channel. I'm going to use it as an acoustic guitar booster it'll work really good for that. It works so good I'm going to put it in an enclosure so I asked if anyone had a schematic to add a true bypass switch, LED light and two external potentiometers. Nwkenning posted me a schematic to do that and that's my next step. Here's a few pictures of my build so far. I'll post updates of the build when it's in its enclosure and completed. voodooman also gave me a few leads to some waterslide decals so that's going to be a lot of fun too. I love it! Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am 

Looks good! You might want to clip the IC leads on the underside of the board if you're going to be mounting this in an enclosure some day, though.

As to your distortion channel, my guess is that because your preamp is already clipping, you're increasing saturation instead of volume. If you have an effects loop, a boost there could give you the results you're after.

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 pm 

Frag Magnet wrote:
As to your distortion channel, my guess is that because your preamp is already clipping, you're increasing saturation instead of volume.

^This. What you're hearing on your distortion channel is exactly what I'd expect. And depending upon how much clipping & compression your distortion channel adds, the effect of kicking on the boost may not even be very noticeable.

Try backing off the gain setting on that channel to the point that the signal break-up is just starting. Then kick in the boost and hear how it sounds.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:39 pm 

Thanks for all your advice I appreciate it. I backed off the gain like you recommended and it worked a lot better but it works the best on the clean Channel. When I use the confidence boost on the clean Channel it at least doubles the volume output. I'm about to start drilling the holes in my enclosure 2.5 in x 4.5 in x 1.5 in deep and this I'm finding out has to be well-planned so all the components fit inside so I've drawn the components on a piece of paper that's the same size as my enclosure so I can plan exactly where the holes will be drilled. If you have any watch out for advice let me know. I'll be posting more pictures soon, Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:35 pm 

Thanks for all your advice guys. This pedal was alot of fun and a great experiment for my first build. I desided to ad variable resistors to the emitter and colector after duhvoodooman suggested to change the resistance to the emitter and the collector the get more gain output, thanks! it work so well I decided to put it in a encloser and add some artwork. duhvoodooman gave me the website to where he gets the waterslide decals material, Thanks. Here are some pictures

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 pm 

Cool work, looks great!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:37 pm 

Had trouble posting this over the weekend first the pictures were there then they were gone? Guess I will try on Monday

Last edited by Alisoncustomshop on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:14 pm 

Thanks for all your advice guys. This pedal was a lot of fun and a great experiment for my first build. I decided to add variable resistors to the emitter and collector after duhvoodooman suggested to change the resistance to the emitter and the collector the get more gain output, thanks! it works so well I decided to put it in an enclosure and add some artwork. duhvoodooman gave me the website to where he gets the waterslide decals material, Thanks. Here are some pictures

Attachments:
boost4.png
boost4.png [ 629.24 KiB | Viewed 3385 times ]
boost3.png
boost3.png [ 619.42 KiB | Viewed 3385 times ]
boost5.png
boost5.png [ 586.63 KiB | Viewed 3385 times ]