Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:43 pm 

Got a chance to build the Brit 45 and the Brit 50. Great amps. Couldn't be happier. You'll probably need a
master volume or attenuator if you want to get the British grind playing in smaller places. Before buying an
attenuator try one, they act different than master volumes. (ie) your boost pedal won't increase your volume like it
used to when you go for a solo. The volume is limited right before the speaker so you get a more saturated
sounds at about the same volume. (like having a limiter on :x ) They have 2 volume level, attenuators, but
they are not cheap.

Build pics below.

Brit45 was built totally stock. Very quiet amp even cranked.

Brit 50 has Sozo caps. (wired with the foil end in the "proper direction") and I used metal film resistors
vs the carbon comp. I did this because the 1987 tends to be a noisy amp. Results = still noisy. So I
started reading on the web about noisy Marshall 1987s and found something that worked wonders
without additional grounds, mods etc. Most of the experienced builders probably know this but this
worked very well for me.

Take the usual precautions when working on high voltage equipment powered up (like you did biasing the amp) Keep one hand in your pocket and probe with the other

With the amp on and standby on, speakers plugged (and all pots turned up to the maximum) listen for excessive noise
with V1 and V2 are removed (these are the 12AX7 tubes the furthest away from the power tubes).
You shouldn't hear much, if you do you have narrowed down where the issue might be. Power off
and put in V2 (power up again) and you should hear some more noise. With a non-conductive chopstick
move the wires connecting to the V2 tube socket around until you can get the least amount of noise
possible. Once you are satisfied repeat the procedure with V1 in the socket.

I was able to get the amp almost as quiet as the JTM 45 with all the controls on both amps dimed.
Considering the 1987 is a higher gain amp I was really happy with the results. Good luck. Have fun :D

Brit45

Brit50 (top amp)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:30 pm 

coolness. you should have your Brit on pretty good now :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:53 pm 

Great looking builds, and helpful advice too :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:12 pm 

SWEET!! Those look great. I've built both, and they are killer amps. Sold them because 40 - 50W is just way too much amp for my needs. Very happy with the 18W TMB I recently built. Still louder than I'll ever use, but much more reasonable!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:03 pm 

Thanks for the tips.

FINALLY- a workbench that looks like mine! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:17 am 

I always wanted to have a Plexi Marshall and part of the hesitation was because they were too loud for places that I play and it's tough lugging around a 4x12 so most of my amps are combos. Well finally the stars aligned and building and modding is a good learning experience. I have a couple of places that I play (after Covid) where the I can use the Brit 45. The Brit 50 is quite a bit louder so I think a master volume will be added. Play on. :D