Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:33 pm 

What a beautiful sounding pedal! After an initial volume concern issue, I went back and read the part about adjusting the trip pots. Followed the instructions and PRESTO, magic happened.
I covered the waterslide decal with epoxy rosin. This was my first attempt using the epoxy and I am definitely pleased with the overall finish. However, the photo doesn't show it very well, but along the edges the epoxy does not have a 'crisp' edge. That and the fact that it took the epoxy 3 days to completely cure, I don't know if I'll use it again. On the shelf now waiting for some attention...
a Li'l Echo, an Analog Vibrato (BYOC painted enclosure), a Green Pony, and coming in the mail sometime this week a Silver Pony 2. Can you say stimulus check? :mrgreen:

-=SteveO

Attachments:
Brown-Face-Harmonic-Tremolo.jpg
Brown-Face-Harmonic-Tremolo.jpg [ 121.37 KiB | Viewed 8183 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:55 pm 

Dang, that looks fantastic! And yes, a great sounding effect once you get it dialed in.

You've got some beauties on the way, too. I think the Analog Vibrato is my favorite BYOC pedal. There is a very easy mod to add a toggle switch to get a CE-2 chorus sound. One resistor and a toggle. Worth it to get both sounds!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Looks great!

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:30 pm 

I am definitely interested in doing that mod. Can you provide me with the resistor value and type of toggle switch and of course, where they get installed?
I am still quite new at this so the more details you can provide, the better for me. :mrgreen:
Thank you!
-=SteveO

p.s. Thank you for the suggestions with my finishing questions in the other forum!

sjaustin wrote:
Dang, that looks fantastic! And yes, a great sounding effect once you get it dialed in.

You've got some beauties on the way, too. I think the Analog Vibrato is my favorite BYOC pedal. There is a very easy mod to add a toggle switch to get a CE-2 chorus sound. One resistor and a toggle. Worth it to get both sounds!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm 

Pretty pedal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 pm 

geekmacdaddy wrote:
Pretty pedal

^ This! I particularly like the contrasting dark sides!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
geekmacdaddy wrote:
Pretty pedal

^ This! I particularly like the contrasting dark sides!

That picture doesn't show off the true color of the sides... This is under better lighting. The color is "Metallic Dark Copper" (Krylon).
This picture is a little better.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

-=SteveO

Attachments:
Side view.jpg
Side view.jpg [ 70.41 KiB | Viewed 8155 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am 

SteveO wrote:
I am definitely interested in doing that mod. Can you provide me with the resistor value and type of toggle switch and of course, where they get installed?
I am still quite new at this so the more details you can provide, the better for me. :mrgreen:

Per Keith in a different thread, and this worked like a charm for me: "It is very simple to modify it to a chorus. You just connect the output of the first half of the op amp (pin 1) to the inverting input of the second half (pin 5) with a 47k resistor (exactly like the dry signal is done in the CE-2). You'd use a SPST toggle switch to make or break the connection."

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:23 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Per Keith in a different thread, and this worked like a charm for me: "It is very simple to modify it to a chorus. You just connect the output of the first half of the op amp (pin 1) to the inverting input of the second half (pin 5) with a 47k resistor (exactly like the dry signal is done in the CE-2). You'd use a SPST toggle switch to make or break the connection."

Scott, does the Depth control then change the depth of the chorus effect when the mod is switched on?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:53 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
sjaustin wrote:

Scott, does the Depth control then change the depth of the chorus effect when the mod is switched on?

Yep, all the controls work the same when the chorus mod is engaged. The sweet spots in the settings are different to my ear, though, so I probably wouldn't toggle it from one to the other in the middle of a gig.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:

Yep, all the controls work the same when the chorus mod is engaged. The sweet spots in the settings are different to my ear, though, so I probably wouldn't toggle it from one to the other in the middle of a gig.

Guess I gotta give this one a try! I'd prefer using an on-on DPDT switch, though, so that the resistor can be mounted across one pair of end lugs rather than hanging off the switch. Just a more secure mount that way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:55 am 

sjaustin wrote:
SteveO wrote:

Thanks Scott! I just happen to have a few spare 47k resistors laying around, and will procure said switch!
I haven't started the build on that one yet so it will probably be a minute before I get a chance to try it out.

-=SteveO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:33 pm 

Just a couple of tips for you (and anyone else reading this thread) on this Analog Vibrato mod, Steve:

• The trickiest part is tack-soldering the connection wires for the switch to the pin 1 and 5 solder joints for the 4558 op amp on the back of the Analog Vibrato PCB (see marked-up image below). Use fine wire (24 or 26 gauge recommended) and just add a little extra solder to each of those joints, then tack the end of a 3-4" length of wire to each joint. These can then be curled up around the bottom edge of the PCB for connection to a switch. Just be sure that you don't accidentally short either connection against the adjacent op amp pin.
  • I strongly recommend the use of an on-on DPDT toggle switch since you can mount the 47K resistor across one end pair of lugs. This avoids having the resistor "hanging" off one of the op amp joints on the back of the PCB. Much more secure, IMO. Then just connect your two wires from the op amp joints to the two center lugs. You can see how I mounted the switch on my own AV (below), but you can stick it anywhere you like so long as it fits without interference/contact with something else.

Attachment:
AV_chorus_mod_connections.jpg
AV_chorus_mod_connections.jpg [ 110.48 KiB | Viewed 8055 times ]

Attachment:
AV_chorus_mod_switch.jpg
AV_chorus_mod_switch.jpg [ 108.92 KiB | Viewed 8055 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:56 pm 

Or you could do it the way I did, and tack solder the leads right to the IC. :mrgreen:

(Full build report here, including my, ahem, tacky way of securing the modification.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:59 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Or you could do it the way I did, and tack solder the leads right to the IC. :mrgreen:

(Full build report here, including my, ahem, tacky way of securing the modification.

Thanks Scott for the info. BTW I did stumbled across your build report a couple of night back. Big help! I like the idea of soldering on the IC socket vs the bottom side of the board. However,
I like the idea of the DPDT switch and most likely go that direction (best of both worlds). Thanks again for all your help and as soon as get it finished I'll post pictures as always.

Cheers!
-=SteveO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:06 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Just a couple of tips for you (and anyone else reading this thread) on this Analog Vibrato mod, Steve:

• The trickiest part is tack-soldering the connection wires for the switch to the pin 1 and 5 solder joints for the 4558 op amp on the back of the Analog Vibrato PCB (see marked-up image below). Use fine wire (24 or 26 gauge recommended) and just add a little extra solder to each of those joints, then tack the end of a 3-4" length of wire to each joint. These can then be curled up around the bottom edge of the PCB for connection to a switch. Just be sure that you don't accidentally short either connection against the adjacent op amp pin.
  • I strongly recommend the use of an on-on DPDT toggle switch since you can mount the 47K resistor across one end pair of lugs. This avoids having the resistor "hanging" off one of the op amp joints on the back of the PCB. Much more secure, IMO. Then just connect your two wires from the op amp joints to the two center lugs. You can see how I mounted the switch on my own AV (below), but you can stick it anywhere you like so long as it fits without interference/contact with something else.

Thank you for the info and photos. Photos are ALWAYS helpful! I like the idea of the DPDT switch and will definitely use that. I just opened my Li'l Echo kit and am working on the graphics for the
top decal. After that one is finished I'll start on the Analog Vibrato.

Cheers!
-=SteveO

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:25 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:

Tricky part complete. Time to get this pedal together!
Thanks again Bob and Scott for all the great info!
-=SteveO

Attachments:
Analog Vibrato Chorus Mod.jpg
Analog Vibrato Chorus Mod.jpg [ 397.11 KiB | Viewed 7706 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:17 pm 

Looking good thus far! Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:48 am 

Wow, that looks good! do you happen to have a design template?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:33 am 

waxstash wrote:
Wow, that looks good! do you happen to have a design template?

A design template for the graphics?? If so, I did it in photoshop. I may have the .psd file. I can check if you'd like.