Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:23 pm 

Hi All!

Mods are:
Reversed signal flow so the Boost comes before the OD. I also swapped the position of the switches so the signal flow shows accordingly.
All diodes and 1 cap (the 823) are socketed. I currently have a .33uf cap in its place for fuller bass response.

The graphic is just a pic I found online.

Artwork was done using a combination of Inkscape and Microsoft Photo.
Printed with inkjet on waterslide decal paper and hit with 3 layers of lacquer to keep ink intact before application.

I took my time, and feel it turned out really well. It's not perfect...but neither is my playing! :lol:

~Troy

Last edited by Twilt on Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:15 pm 

Twilt wrote:
Hi All!

Mods are:
Reversed signal flow so the Boost comes before the OD. I also swapped the position of the switches so the signal flow shows accordingly.
All diodes and 1 cap (the 823) are socketed. I currently have a .33uf cap in its place for fuller bass response.

I wanted to keep the ideology and mythical aspect of the circuit, so being that it's a dual pedal and I am a June baby, I thought Gemini was fitting.

Printed with inkjet on waterslide decal paper and hit with 3 layers of lacquer to keep ink intact before application.

I took my time, and feel it turned out really well. It's not perfect...but neither is my playing! :lol:

~Troy

Came out great! Clean build and I love the artwork!!

-=Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:50 pm 

Thanks, SteveO!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:59 am 

Well done, Troy! You've got yourself a great pedal there. Lots of super tones available. Thanks for posting!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:37 am 

SWEET!! That came out great. Love the graphics! 8) :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:55 am 

Wow, that looks fantastic. I bet it sounds killer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:19 pm 

Thanks guys!
This is the second SP II I've built. I just absolutely love them...and swapping the Boost/OD around just takes it (them) to a whole other level!
The first one I built, is now on my bench being reworked with the same(ish) mods. Meaning, I am not going to socket the diodes, but I have replaced the 823 cap with sockets and a .33uf cap. I am currently rerouting the switches and re-painting the enclosure. The enclosure will have the same graphics but in a different color (some sort of weird green). I will post pics of it too once finished.

These mods were so fun I want to buy more SP II's just to build them :lol:

If you have one of these, I HIGHLY recommend swapping the boost/OD around. Wow! Just WOW!

Safe and Happy Father's Day Too all of you Dads out there!

Cheers!
~Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:25 pm 

Twilt wrote:
Hi All!

Mods are:

~Troy

Great job! How did you reverse the signal flow? I would also like the boost before the OD. Also, any suggestions for increasing gain?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:47 pm 

OshiWei wrote:
Twilt wrote:
Hi All!

Mods are:

~Troy

Great job! How did you reverse the signal flow? I would also like the boost before the OD. Also, any suggestions for increasing gain?

Never mind. I think I may ha e found how to do it here viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17245

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:02 am 

OshiWei wrote:
Never mind. I think I may ha e found how to do it here viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17245

Yup, that's how!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:24 am 

very nicely done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
OshiWei wrote:

Yup, that's how!

Thanks! I really appreciate this. Now to figure out the buffer bypass mod you were telling me about here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59817

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:07 am 

OshiWei wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:
OshiWei wrote:

Yup, that's how!

Thanks! I really appreciate this. Now to figure out the buffer bypass mod you were telling me about here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59817

I followed the mod and the pedal works. But it seems like both positions on the 3pdt on/on switch sound very similar, except that one position sounds darker/warmer/more muffled than the other. Is this normal?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:41 pm 

OshiWei wrote:
I followed the mod and the pedal works. But it seems like both positions on the 3pdt on/on switch sound very similar, except that one position sounds darker/warmer/more muffled than the other. Is this normal?

You're going to have to explain exactly what you did to a much greater extent for us to judge whether the modified pedal is behaving normally or not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:03 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
OshiWei wrote:

You're going to have to explain exactly what you did to a much greater extent for us to judge whether the modified pedal is behaving normally or not.

I apologize for the lack of clarity. I had the Silver Pony II wired standard and it worked fine; not that it doesn't work now, one position just sounds different than I expected. Then, I performed the below mod from here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17245

Attachments:
OD-Boost_order_flipper_switch.gif
OD-Boost_order_flipper_switch.gif [ 53.68 KiB | Viewed 5144 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:04 pm 

OK, let me make sure we're on the same page here. So you installed the switchable effect order mod, with a 3PDT toggle switch to change the order? But you have NOT done the mod to make the Klon buffer permanently on?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:10 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
OK, let me make sure we're on the same page here. So you installed the switchable effect order mod, with a 3PDT toggle switch to change the order? But you have NOT done the mod to make the Klon buffer permanently on?

That's correct. I wanted to do one thing at a time. Plus, I haven't figured out exactly how to do the buffered bypass mod, yet. Below are some gut shots. The switch is sideways, but it is wired with the right side as the top (i.e. rotate the center switch 90 degrees to the left to see how I wired it).

Attachments:
IMG_5188.jpeg
IMG_5188.jpeg [ 693.35 KiB | Viewed 5128 times ]
IMG_5185.jpeg
IMG_5185.jpeg [ 617.13 KiB | Viewed 5128 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:38 pm 

OK, how do you have the overdrive side set when you're doing this before & after testing? The different effect of the boost stage before and after the OD will be most noticeable if you have the gain on the OD side set up pretty high, say 2 - 3 o'clock or so. Otherwise, you're pretty much running a boost into a boost either way you have the before/after switch set. With the boost after the OD (which is the stock SPII configuration), the boost will primarily just increase the output volume. But if you run it before the OD side, it will boost the gain of that stage and increase the clipping, giving a heavier overdrive as well as a bit more volume. All of this assumes that you're running the pedal's output into a clean amp, so that you're not mixing in break-up due to the amp itself as you're comparing the before & after settings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:36 pm 

awesome work. blown away dude!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13 am 

DougLurksOn wrote:
awesome work. blown away dude!

Thanks. It got a little tight in the case at the bottom and I started to touch some of the wires with the soldering iron; oops. But it ended up working out. Wish I was able to do more with it aesthetically. But, I don't know much about painting and a label maker will tell me what the knobs are for. Haha.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:30 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
OK, how do you have the overdrive side set when you're doing this before & after testing? The different effect of the boost stage before and after the OD will be most noticeable if you have the gain on the OD side set up pretty high, say 2 - 3 o'clock or so. Otherwise, you're pretty much running a boost into a boost either way you have the before/after switch set. With the boost after the OD (which is the stock SPII configuration), the boost will primarily just increase the output volume. But if you run it before the OD side, it will boost the gain of that stage and increase the clipping, giving a heavier overdrive as well as a bit more volume. All of this assumes that you're running the pedal's output into a clean amp, so that you're not mixing in break-up due to the amp itself as you're comparing the before & after settings.

It actually works fine. Sounds great. Not sure what was going on. But I’m loving this pedal. Thanks again for all your help.