Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Champlifier Completed.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:27 pm 

Here is my latest completed build. A lot can be said about how good a really simple circuit can sound. I followed some of ideas/recommendations on forum (duhvoodooman) and purchased a cabinet from Mike Marsh. The amp has a 10" Ted Weber Signature speaker, a 15 watt transformer so I can use a 6L6 or 6V6 power tube. Got the 6L6 option for more clean headroom. Based on playing with my Tweed Royal in single end mode I opted to change both coupling caps to .01 vs .022. (I use humbuckers more than single coils) I'm really happy with the sound and low noise level which had initially concerned me. I know everyone runs the volume on these things on 6-10, but I just tried it on 4 with the 6L6 using the Silver Pony 2 and when you clobber the front end of this amp with both the boost and a little bit of overdrive it is really beautiful. The gut shot first, should have straightened out a couple of wires before the pic, but I took the picture while I was running a test using my Tweed Royal's speaker and just wanted to get a quick pic. Back to some playing and off to band practice to show it off and decide if I need to make any changes. :D

Image[

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:20 am 

looks booteeful

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:30 am 

Gorgeous. A tweed amp was gonna be my next build, and then Classic Tone shut down and BYOC doesn't have a replacement at this point. Looks fabulous. You going to make a demo?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:06 am 

Looks fantastic. I was gonna buy a mojotone kit, but opted for a used blues deluxe for the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am 

Looks great! And you really can't beat those Marsh cabinets.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:55 pm 

I was so proud and was trying a bunch of stuff, different speaker cabinets, different power tubes and I made the fatal mistake of forgetting to plug in a speaker...... Ya, ya I know. :x I heard a pop and saw smoke. Happened before I could hit the strings on the guitar. I'm glad everything was sealed up, the 25uf 25v electrolytic cap near the bias resistor exploded. (only thing left was the 2 leads and shrapnel) Hopefully the OT is ok. I'm in the process of getting a new cap and run through the tests again. What are the chances the OT transformer is cooked? I have no experience with burned out OTs.

Thanks for the compliments and help along the way. Once I get it working again, I'll try to get some sounds bytes to you'all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:07 pm 

Awwww you let out the magic smoke??? Hopefully every this will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:14 pm 

Ok, I put the magic smoke back in the box. I replaced the cap and the resistor and I'm up and running. I will be more careful. :oops: I have to remember there aren't direct replacements for the ClassicTone transformer. I'm also looking for a simple mod where I can fuse this just in case. Anyone have a circuit. Maybe use the speaker switching jack with a resistor so if nothing is plugged in the resistor provides a load and when the speaker is plugged the resistor is switched out..... Let me know what you think.

Thanks