Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:12 pm 

I ordered the Echo Royal delay pedal because I wanted to try building a delay with tap tempo, and this seemed like the most streamlined option. All I can say is this is not an easy build. I've never used 1/8W resistors before, and I hope never to do so again - my eyes just can't take it (yes, I test them all with the DMM instead of trying to read the color codes, but even just fitting them in the board was painful). The board is packed, and after I had a handful of components on the board, it seemed like every time I brought the soldering iron to the board, I was at serious risk of creating 14 solder bridges with the slightest shake of the hand. But the pedal sounds delightful, and while the controls are a bit finicky, it can produce some really nice sounds. I put some photos over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/u0qz0g/npd_byoclone_echo_royal_and_diy_cable_tester/

Here's my Tayda drilling template, which worked beautifully: https://drill.taydakits.com/box-designs/new?public_key=cDdaaE9BK1FvUkc4WEI2WlZnOHFwdz09Cg== It's a *very* tight fit, though - the Tayda 1590BB2 is a millimeter or two shallower than the enclosure from BYOC, so I had to ditch the star washers on the jacks and leave them loose until after I put the bottom of the enclosure on to allow the lip to fit between the outer enclosure and the jack housings. But it works!

Attachments:
File comment: My BYOC Echo Royal!
20220408_121641.jpg
20220408_121641.jpg [ 263.66 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:46 pm 

Very nice work! Your top design is very nice. Looks like it has some texture to it, unlike a water slide decal. How'd you do it?

We always like to see the inside, too, so I pulled your gut shot from Reddit. Nice clean build! What do you think you'll build next?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:04 pm 

Wow! Super slick artwork!

...and yeah, what Scott said...
How'd you get the texture/raised letters???
That's BA, dilettanti!

~Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:13 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Your top design is very nice. Looks like it has some texture to it, unlike a water slide decal. How'd you do it?

Thanks! The enclosure is UV printed using Tayda's printing service. The texture comes from the printing - I used a gloss layer to add some extra depth. I did the design in Inkscape and then prepped it for printing using Affinity Designer.

sjaustin wrote:
We always like to see the inside, too, so I pulled your gut shot from Reddit. Nice clean build!

Thank you - this is my first build post here, so I wasn't sure how the uploads would work - thanks for adding the guts shot. Particularly in light of how tightly packed that board is, I was amazed - the pedal worked perfectly the first time I fired it up (once I got rid of a dodgy cable - oops!). And it really does sound exquisite - even my ham-handed playing couldn't mask the pedal's abilities.

sjaustin wrote:
What do you think you'll build next?

I'm finishing up a themed set of a vibrato, fuzz, and delay pedal (all from PedalPCB), then... I don't know. I should probably learn to play guitar better. Maybe I'll start practicing?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:41 pm 

Nice build!

One of the best investments I made in my working setup is some magnifying glasses like below. I would have a much harder time without them!!
https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Aid-Magni ... th=1&psc=1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:07 pm 

SWEET!! Very impressive, especially for a first build!! :shock: 8) :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:27 pm 

BTW: I might suggest trimming back the LED leads on the component side of the board, if you haven't already. They probably won't cause problems, but I don't like to leave anything sticking up that could cause a short.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:28 am 

josh_vinyl_guy wrote:
One of the best investments I made in my working setup is some magnifying glasses like below. I would have a much harder time without them!!
https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Aid-Magni ... th=1&psc=1

Ooh! Sexy! I think my wife would never let me live it down if I wore those in the house, but... I still want them? And not just for the 1/8W resistors - for all the things!

sjaustin wrote:
BTW: I might suggest trimming back the LED leads on the component side of the board, if you haven't already. They probably won't cause problems, but I don't like to leave anything sticking up that could cause a short.

Thanks. Because of the tight fit for the LEDs, I had to solder them in place after the board was in the enclosure. And because of all the tall components right beside the LED leads, it was really tough to clip them very short with my giant clippers. I did cut them back short enough not to touch the enclosure, and I figure they won't move much inside the enclosure, but if I ever have problems with the pedal, that's the first thing I'll look at.

duhvoodooman wrote:
SWEET!! Very impressive, especially for a first build!! :shock: 8) :mrgreen:

Thank you - I'm quite pleased with how the enclosure turned out, and the pedal sounds great. I should say, though, this isn't my first build - just my first BYOC build. I've done a handful of kits from Aion and a few PedalPCB and TonePad PCBs before this one. I certainly don't consider myself anything close to an expert, but I worked out a lot of the kinks in my soldering and enclosure-planning processes before tackling this one.