Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Green Pony with Mod
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:34 pm 

Back in April of this year, Morgan (a BYOC Moderator), suggested an option to the Green Pony. The addition of a "27v Boost" circuit and call it the "Green Pony II".
You can read about it here (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60173&p=503092&hilit=green+pony#p503092).
I have taken the Green Pony (without the FET mod) and boxed it up with the 27v Boost kit offered by BYOC. There was also a comment by "DVM" for addition of a
"flipper switch" that allows for putting the 27v Boost before or after the Green Pony. That mod was added as well using a "Easy Order Switching PCB" (GuitarPCB)
and a 3PDT toggle switch. The build wasn't all glitter and rainbows as both 7660 charge pumps were defective causing me to break out my DMM trying to find a
non-existent short. After reading other posts with the same symptoms, the defective 7660's seemed to be the culprit. Long story short I had a stash of 7660's I had
bought off of Amazon and out of a stash of 20, I found 2 good ones. Lesson learned. Moving forward after sorting out the charge pump issue the combo worked but
only with the amp and guitar volume controls at 100%. A quick post the this forum (viewtopic.php?f=31&t=60309) once again
"DVM" got me pointed me in the right direction. Not using the board mounted pots that came with the Green Pony, I thought mounting that PCB was going to require
some engineering. But a quick glance at the 27v Boost PCB, mounting the GP PCB I had a :idea: moment. A popsicle stick and some 10 minute epoxy and I was in business!
I just want to add that one cannot truly appreciate board mounted pots and switches until you wire up a bunch by hand. ;)

Now it is all boxed up, spit shined and ready to rock! Shout out to Morgan for suggesting that combo! I have a Green Pony but it has been replace on my board by the 'Boosted Pony"!

Thanks for looking!

-=Steve0

Attachments:
Boosted Pony Top-2_f.jpg
Boosted Pony Top-2_f.jpg [ 751.75 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]
Finished Boosted Pony Gut_f.jpg
Finished Boosted Pony Gut_f.jpg [ 794.68 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]
pre-wire.jpg
pre-wire.jpg [ 389.78 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]

Post subject: Re: Green Pony with Mod
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:54 pm 

Awesome! I may just have to pull the trigger on this and do one myself.

Great execution of the idea, SteveO. And YES to board mounted pots. I love being able to lay out the controls on a build however I'd like, but all that wiring does get tedious, and it takes up a lot of space, too.

Next time, slap a delay on the end and you'd pretty much be set with just one box. :lol:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:01 pm 

Looks great, Steve. Very nicely done! Super enclosure finish there! VERY professional looking!

SteveO wrote:
That mod was added as well using a "Easy Order Switching PCB" (GuitarPCB) and a 3PDT toggle switch.

Ooooh, thanks, I hadn't seen that little mini-PCB! Very handy! 8) Gotta get me a few of those.

SteveO wrote:
Long story short I had a stash of 7660's I had bought off of Amazon and out of a stash of 20, I found 2 good ones. Lesson learned.

Yeah, we've definitely seen that same trend here on the forum--lots of problems with bad charge pumps. I suspect that there was some kind of pandemic-related supply chain issue that caused a lot of defective charge pumps to flood the market. Major PITA! :evil:

SteveO wrote:
I just want to add that one cannot truly appreciate board mounted pots and switches until you wire up a bunch by hand.

True dat!! :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:51 pm 

Fantastic job SteveO.

Quote:
A popsicle stick and some 10 minute epoxy

This is the true spirit.

edit: Oh by the way excellent photography too. I think the secret is in the lighting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:18 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Looks great, Steve. Very nicely done! Super enclosure finish there! VERY professional looking!

Thanks Bob! That means a lot coming from you!

duhvoodooman wrote:
Ooooh, thanks, I hadn't seen that little mini-PCB! Very handy! 8) Gotta get me a few of those.

They are less than $1.00. He also has ones for the 4PDT foot switch, if you want to go that route.

duhvoodooman wrote:
Yeah, we've definitely seen that same trend here on the forum--lots of problems with bad charge pumps. I suspect that there was some kind of pandemic-related supply chain issue that caused a lot of defective charge pumps to flood the market. Major PITA! :evil:

I agree! I spent way too much time troubleshooting that issue!

SteveO wrote:
I just want to add that one cannot truly appreciate board mounted pots and switches until you wire up a bunch by hand.
duhvoodooman wrote:
True dat!! :mrgreen:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:21 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Awesome! I may just have to pull the trigger on this and do one myself.

You won't regret it!!

sjaustin wrote:
Great execution of the idea, SteveO. And YES to board mounted pots. I love being able to lay out the controls on a build however I'd like, but all that wiring does get tedious, and it takes up a lot of space, too.

Thanks for the kind words Scott! It was a fun build.

sjaustin wrote:
Next time, slap a delay on the end and you'd pretty much be set with just one box. :lol:

Hummm, the gears are starting to turn... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:28 pm 

WMP1 wrote:
Fantastic job SteveO.

Thank you sir!

Quote:
A popsicle stick and some 10 minute epoxy
This is the true spirit.

:mrgreen:

WMP1 wrote:
edit: Oh by the way excellent photography too. I think the secret is in the lighting.

I have been looking for the perfect lighting conditions since I completed my first build. Found it on my covered back patio.
The patio faces East to West... Any time the sun is up, I can get great shots! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:36 am 

Fuggin Lovely.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:25 am 

WMP1 wrote:
Oh by the way excellent photography too. I think the secret is in the lighting.

CORRECT. If only I could convince every person seeking tech support to turn off their telephone camera's harsh LED flash and just put the thing in a brightly lit room, I might actually be able to see the necessary details to help. Maybe my long-imagined sticky post "how to take decent photos to get tech support" will finally come to fruition.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:31 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
SteveO wrote:
That mod was added as well using a "Easy Order Switching PCB" (GuitarPCB) and a 3PDT toggle switch.

As long as you use Barry's wire, you'll be fine. I find that the holes on GuitarPCB boards are just too small to accommodate the prebond wire that I love, which is only one gauge thicker—and also too small for what I consider to be a properly twisted and tinned Purple BYOC Wire™. It's too bad, because those boards would be super useful otherwise!

Justin (CaptainPeyote) used to etch some small order flipper PCBs, but I don't think he has any left. I wish I knew how to use Eagle or similar, because I'd like to make some that I could use.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:43 am 

Dang that is super nice looking! I like those rings around the LEDs, where do those come from?

Great work, looks awesome on the inside and outside!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:48 pm 

josh_vinyl_guy wrote:
Dang that is super nice looking! I like those rings around the LED's, where do those come from?

Great work, looks awesome on the inside and outside!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks Josh! The LED bezels came from www.Taydaelectronics.com.

-=Steve0

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Last edited by SteveO on Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:49 pm 

geekmacdaddy wrote:
Fuggin Lovely.
Thanks Jeff!!

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:37 am 

sjaustin wrote:
As long as you use Barry's wire, you'll be fine. I find that the holes on GuitarPCB boards are just too small to accommodate the prebond wire that I love, which is only one gauge thicker—and also too small for what I consider to be a properly twisted and tinned Purple BYOC Wire™. It's too bad, because those boards would be super useful otherwise!

Just an FYI... Lawrence at Loves My Switches carries bonded wire that works with the smallish holes on Barry's PCB's. I have bought several 100' rolls from him when Barry's supply goes dry.