Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Question on solder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:06 pm 

I have a spool of .032 solder and I was wondering if this will work or do I need to order the .031 solder from BYOC? Is there enough of a difference that I need to get .031? Has anyone else used the .032 solder without any problems?

Post subject: Re: Question on solder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:13 pm 

dorianwesleyj wrote:
I have a spool of .032 solder and I was wondering if this will work or do I need to order the .031 solder from BYOC? Is there enough of a difference that I need to get .031? Has anyone else used the .032 solder without any problems?

0.032" is just barely thicker. I doubt you'd even notice a difference.

More important is the type of solder it is. Is it rosin core solder? 60/40 or 63/37? Any of those should work fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 am 

Crap when I first started I had .60 I think it was and I couldn't figure out why I had huge blobs :lol: :oops: Still have it just for the memories.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:59 am 

TNblueshawk wrote:
Crap when I first started I had .60 I think it was and I couldn't figure out why I had huge blobs :lol: :oops: Still have it just for the memories.

Did that still worked out for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:00 am 

pickdropper wrote:
dorianwesleyj wrote:

0.032" is just barely thicker. I doubt you'd even notice a difference.

More important is the type of solder it is. Is it rosin core solder? 60/40 or 63/37? Any of those should work fine.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:45 am 

dorianwesleyj wrote:
TNblueshawk wrote:

Oh yeah, it worked fine in terms of the pedal firing up. The biggest issue was trying not to get solder bridges and I couldn't figure out how anyone could solder with ease as I was sweating. Then someone pointed out I was using a huge pieces of solder and way too much. If memory serves me I think I built 3 pedals that way from BYOC before I had a :roll: moment.

I did use 60/40 rosin core so I had the right stuff just too big.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 am 

TNblueshawk wrote:
dorianwesleyj wrote:
TNblueshawk wrote:

Oh yeah, it worked fine in terms of the pedal firing up. The biggest issue was trying not to get solder bridges and I couldn't figure out how anyone could solder with ease as I was sweating. Then someone pointed out I was using a huge pieces of solder and way too much. If memory serves me I think I built 3 pedals that way from BYOC before I had a :roll: moment.

I did use 60/40 rosin core so I had the right stuff just too big.

I used the .6 on the starter board and it was a miserable experience. I couldnt figure out how anyone could enjoy that job. Needless to say, I have .3 on order now before I start my real first project.

Should I feel guilty about taking the spool back to the depot even though I used a few inches... it was a big spool and I'll never use it :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:03 pm 

I like to have both large and small diameter solder on hand---I do most of my work with smaller diameter but large is nice for soldering pots, board-mounted switches, etc.

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:45 pm 

Frag Magnet wrote:
I like to have both large and small diameter solder on hand---I do most of my work with smaller diameter but large is nice for soldering pots, board-mounted switches, etc.

...and for a lot of amplifier work.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2