Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:14 am 

I've performed this simple mod on my DS-1 (see attached pics) and enjoy it, but would like to add an on/off switch to it. My question is two fold, will any on/off two way switch work, as i only see on/off/on switches on BYOC. Secondly, can I just cut the wire and install the switch, or do I need to install a second wire which the diagram seems to hint at.

Attachments:
IMG_1588.PNG
IMG_1588.PNG [ 210.85 KiB | Viewed 1972 times ]
IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1587.JPG [ 53.02 KiB | Viewed 1972 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 am 

I would recommend THIS ON-ON SPDT SWITCH for the job. You just need to install it in the middle of the jumper, i.e. cut the jumper, solder one end to the middle lug of the switch and the other end to one of the outside lugs. Doesn't matter which one--just leave the other outer lug unconnected and it will then function as an on-off switch.

Something you need to consider is where the switch will be mounted. I would look inside the DS-1 enclosure and see where there's enough space to mount this small switch through a hole you will need to drill in the enclosure. Shouldn't be hard--these mini-toggles don't take up much room at all. You can come out through the top of the enclosure or through one of the sides, depending on where the switch fits best. Just be sure that the lugs don't contact any other metal/conductive surfaces. I'd also suggest that you remove the jumper from the back side of the PCB and install it between the legs of the jumpered components on the component side of the PCB, since that will give you much more convenient access to wire it to the switch lugs.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:59 pm 

Mod went extremely well! I was able to install the switch right through the "O" of the word "TONE" on the pedal, looks fly. I also drilled out the enclosure and put a bright 5mm blue LED in. I found it too tight to solder the wiring on the component side of the PCB but found you can actually route wire through all 4 corners of the enclosure, there is just enough room for the cable to fit through and it works flawlessly.

Running the two 5mm LEDs asymmetrically in the D4 and D5 positions (one red and one blue), gives the pedal a more open and fattening over drive sound as well as boosts the output significantly. I find it is a bit mor etouch sensitive and natural feeling to my ear with a bit of fuzz on the edges.

When you flip the switch and jump the circuit and you have the drive knob at or behind the 12 'o clock position, it makes it a bit tighter sounding with some more fuzz on it. When you move the drive knob past the 12 'o clock position... that's when it gets weird. It throws the pedal into a synth like hum, you can use the tone knob to adjust the tone of the hum and you can speed it up or slow down the rate of the hum by adjusting the knob from the 12 'o clock position or forward to max.

When you play notes they come out just above the volume of the hum and are fuzz sounding and octave-up! It's not super usable but I was actually able to use my looper to make a synth like base rhythm with cool notes above it.

I'll try and post photos and some videos of the sound later this week when I have time!.