Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:58 am 

Im working on a couple 3 Volt fuzz pedals with schematics from the 60s. They will be NPN not standard PNP for the time, also Back then they used 3v instead of 9V
I have a plan to be able to daisy chain the pedal. I was thinking I would wire a small daughter board to the 9V power jack on the pedal that will convert 9V to 3V. But heres where I start hurting my brain. For coolness I want to wire the 2 AA battery holder in as well but it cant be wired to the power jack like a 9V battery would so it will have to be wired on to the effect board directly basically i'll be connecting two independent power supplies. So to do this I know i'll need at the very least a diode connected to the +3V output of the daughter board and a Diode connected to the +3v of the battery pack so that power cant back feed into the daughter board and so that it cant back feed into the battery depending on how your powering the pedal respectively. The biggest problem im having at the moment is finding a diode that has a Vf of 3v. Anyone know of any besides LEDs? Or does anyone have a better idea of how to power the pedal from 3V and be able to daisy chain it with standard 9V power?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:08 pm 

you could install a power supply toggle switch. One side for battery, one side for power adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:48 pm 

Nwkenning wrote:
you could install a power supply toggle switch. One side for battery, one side for power adapter.

Thats a good idea. If I cant find a 3v forward voltage diode then that would work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:24 pm 

I found a diode I think I can use
GP02-20-E3/54 is the name of it. Its a "Super rectifier" Never heard of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:38 pm 

You can also run the pedal at 9v, but use a 3v voltage regulator for the circuit. Something like the 78L33 or similar. That way it's just a normal setup in terms of power, and is a bit more universal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:34 pm 

Nwkenning wrote:
You can also run the pedal at 9v, but use a 3v voltage regulator for the circuit. Something like the 78L33 or similar. That way it's just a normal setup in terms of power, and is a bit more universal.

Thats what im doing to get the 3v from the power jack. But I want to include the 2AA battery pack instead of the standard 9V as well. I cant run the battery pack behind the voltage regulator, it wont pass 3v to 3v it has to be a voltage higher than 3v. So im going to have to hook up the jack and the battery directly to the board which is why I need the diode so that power cant back feed into the Batterys if the Jack is being used.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:20 pm 

Idk if you're dead set on using AA's, but you can run the 9v through the same voltage regulator as the power jack. So you would wire the power exactly the same as a regular pedal, but inatead of going to the pcb it would go to the voltage regulator board first. 9v batteries i think are also easier to manage than battery clips.

This also means you don't need a special diode or switch since the jack is doing it for you.