Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 am 

A few questions:

What is the difference between the Mogami 2319 cable and the Mogami 2524 cable? Other than a 33 cent price difference...)

James, on those right angle Neutrik jacks you suggest, is the only plastic part the little black piece?

Does anyone know how to make... essentially a cableless cable... haha. I've seen people use them on pedal boards, basically just two jacks connected together for connecting pedals. Right now I'm using these $5, approx. 5" cables from Guitar Center, and for some of my pedals I don't need that much cable sticking out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:52 am 

raublekick wrote:
A few questions:

What is the difference between the Mogami 2319 cable and the Mogami 2524 cable? Other than a 33 cent price difference...)

James, on those right angle Neutrik jacks you suggest, is the only plastic part the little black piece?

Does anyone know how to make... essentially a cableless cable... haha. I've seen people use them on pedal boards, basically just two jacks connected together for connecting pedals. Right now I'm using these $5, approx. 5" cables from Guitar Center, and for some of my pedals I don't need that much cable sticking out.

The 2319 is "mini" instrument cable. It is noticeably a smaller gauge (although I didn't measure the actual conductor). I use it for pedal cables because it does 180° bends nicely and for such a short cable I'm not worried about the impedance. I use the 2524 for long instrument cables. Although the page doesn't say anything about the 2319 being only for short runs, so maybe it's suitable for longer runs. If you want to get nerdy about it check this out:

http://www.mogamicable.com/Bulk/micr_ca ... uitar.html

Regarding the NYS207, you should be able to see pretty clearly what's going on in the picture I provided. The actual signal carrying pieces are just like an all metal plug, just the backplate and the nut are plastic. For a pedal board I think they'd be fine. If your cables will be on stage getting stomped on and rolled over by gear crates, etc. Maybe an all metal jack is the way to go.

As for a male-to-male jack... I suppose you could make one, but I would recommend against it. I mean in the cost of building a cable it's all in the jacks. The cable itself for a pedal cable is pennies. So for essentially no extra cost you have a cable that has more options.

Additionally, I'd be weary of something like that because then two of your pedals are rigidly connected. Every time you stomp, kick or move one pedal, you're going to be heavily loading the jack connection on both of them which seems like bad news bears to me. Then again I have to run F.E.A. all day sometimes so maybe I'm hyper sensitive...

-J!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:34 pm 

Is it wrong that i'm REALLY excited by the prospect of making my own cables? I'm going to order the bits this weekend (after i finish my green ringer...) and i actually can't wait. I'm gonna make some seriously sweet cables !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:41 pm 

manichedgehog wrote:
Is it wrong that i'm REALLY excited by the prospect of making my own cables? I'm going to order the bits this weekend (after i finish my green ringer...) and i actually can't wait. I'm gonna make some seriously sweet cables !

It can't get no righter!

May I recommend ordering extra? The stuff is so cheap but shipping can add up. As soon as I built mine I had to order a bunch more for friends. The cable is so cheap I'm going to order a 50' roll of the mini and be set for patch cables for life.

-J!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:49 pm 

James! wrote:
manichedgehog wrote:

It can't get no righter!

May I recommend ordering extra? The stuff is so cheap but shipping can add up. As soon as I built mine I had to order a bunch more for friends. The cable is so cheap I'm going to order a 50' roll of the mini and be set for patch cables for life.

-J!

This is a good point. May as well stock up. I've been buying cables for 15 years, so i am pretty sure i'm not about to stop needing them any time soon - but i am pretty sure i won't be buying ones made by other people any more !

(i feel such a sense of pleasure that overrpriced, overly delicate cables are a thing of the past for me !!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:52 pm 

manichedgehog wrote:
James! wrote:
manichedgehog wrote:

It can't get no righter!

-J!

This is a good point. May as well stock up. I've been buying cables for 15 years, so i am pretty sure i'm not about to stop needing them any time soon - but i am pretty sure i won't be buying ones made by other people any more !

(i feel such a sense of pleasure that overrpriced, overly delicate cables are a thing of the past for me !!)

The great thing is that not only are they over priced enough that building them for yourself is worthwhile, they are SO overpriced that you can build them for other people, make a profit, and still give them a great deal!

-J!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:10 am 

in a blatant abuse of moderator power i stickied this and if the guys upstairs don't like it they can just blame James for being a bad influence on me and punish him :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:54 pm 

Just a quick note that for all metal jacks these are nice:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=697

They are low profile so they are nice for packing the pedals on a board, and the price (while a little more than the ones James! is using) at $2.75 a pop is far from expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:19 pm 

This is great! I'm asking friends if they want "in" on this and placing an order pronto! I'm super excited about building these (along with all the money I'll save and put towards various other DIY projects! :D)

I'm curious, do you have any suggestions on speaker cables? I've been using an old instrument cable to run my amp to cabinet and I'd like to get a nice set without spending all the buck. I'm new to this whole DIY world but this seems like a great place to start.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:38 pm 

For speaker wire you gotta use this. Anything less won't do. :twisted:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRGRSP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:47 pm 

For speaker cable you use the same TS connectors, but you want a much thicker cable.

This should work well!
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=461

-J!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:53 pm 

For speakers I use the Mogami W3082. I like Mogami it may not have all the boutique foo-foo for the cork-sniffers but it is a name you can trust

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=528

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am 

Stephen wrote:
For speaker wire you gotta use this. Anything less won't do. :twisted:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRGRSP

That's as crazy as the guy with the $14,777 Gibson parts!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:35 pm 

Unbraiding the ground is the most annoying part but the most important. If you have a radio shack near you they're closing out what they call a 'tv toolset.' How its supposed to be used I have no idea but it consists of three black sticks basically with different tips. Makes it so easy to unbraid :) Or you could use a knife/paperclip.

I use Performance Audio and ussually get Canare GS-6 and Neutriks NP2C/B's. The sound isolating neutricks have issues. You could also do one stereo side and one mono side, alleviates all most any noise in the signal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 am 

Chris Burnell wrote:
Just a quick note that for all metal jacks these are nice:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=697

They are low profile so they are nice for packing the pedals on a board, and the price (while a little more than the ones James! is using) at $2.75 a pop is far from expensive.

This is the conundrum I have been in regarding making my own cables. For general guitar cables, I don't mind paying a few bucks for a jack, because the end cost is going to be way lower than what you'd buy at GC or wherever.

But for short pedal cables, that's not the case. I've been using these little 5" or so cables that GC sells. They are all metal jacks, and the cable has some sort of cloth around it. They are $5. So basically I have been not been able to find a way to match the quality* of those cables but reduce the price. The jacks that James! uses will probably do the trick but it is a small compromise.

*Generally these seem good quality. If there's something I don't know about, please tell me! There is a hitch with them though. The first time I bought 2 of them, one of them didn't fit in any of my pedals. The jack was just slightly too big. The second time I bought some, I asked to try them in a pedal first, and lo and behold, one of them didn't fit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 am 

I SO realize that I will probably regret mentioning this, but I find the same problem with the 1 for $5.00, 3 for $10.00 patch cables. There seems to be a lot of variation on the depth of these jacks. They all appear to be the same diameter, but some are longer than others. :shock:

Frag Magnet wrote:

BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 am 

James - Thanks for posting this information.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:41 pm 

It did not take Redco long to quit carrying those jacks that Uncle Johnny uses for a $1.

Finally got some cash today for some cables and they are gone.

Celebrating 11 Years!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:02 pm 

my7of9 wrote:
It did not take Redco long to quit carrying those jacks that Uncle Johnny uses for a $1.

Me too!!!

I just went to Redco to get the cable and jacks, and now they're gone (the jacks).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:05 pm 

culturejam wrote:
my7of9 wrote:

Me too!!!

I just went to Redco to get the cable and jacks, and now they're gone (the jacks).

That sucks. Was planning on doing this soon to gear up for the summer gigs.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:08 pm 

Would you believe I went there today, too! Was about to stock up on 1/4s and XLRs for the summer's activities (several larger projects, patchbay type stuff), and Redco bailed on me.

Guess it's time for Plan B.

Frag Magnet wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:21 pm 

Markertek has them for 1.23
http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connect ... nc/NYS207/

But I did not see the Lower gauge Mogami cable for the patch cables. They have the higher gauage for .83 I think though.

Never dealt with these people before either....

Celebrating 11 Years!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:26 pm 

In all honesty, I think Uncle Johnny should try to help us find a new source, since it was his link that pooped out on us. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I doubt he would agree! :wink:

Frag Magnet wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:20 am 

You guys crack me up!

crbmoa wrote:
In all honesty, I think Uncle Johnny should try to help us find a new source, since it was his link that pooped out on us. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I doubt he would agree! :wink:

I tried! I think barry's link is the cheapest out there right now. I just called Redco and the manufacturer is out of stock! Maybe I shouldn't have posted the link everywhere :D He said 1-2 months in all likelyhood. So I guess hit up markertek for now?

-J!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:58 am 

I just ordered 4 NYS 207 jacks and 4 NYS 201 jacks for less than 8 bucks shipped from http://www.daleproaudio.com/

They seem like the only place that has the NYS 207s in stock, and they seem to have fast service, I'll update his when they arrive in case anyone is curious

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next