Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm 

Hey guys!

So I thought I'd make a simple little how-to on making guitar cables. Personally I always assumed building cables had to be easy but for whatever reason it took me a while to do it. Once I started building pedals I was not interested in either a) buying cheap cables or b) paying a lot for good ones.

I've done a few batches and thought I'd put up some pictures and answer any questions anyone has.

First of all, the cheapest place I've found for cable and connectors is http://www.redco.com Thanks to Chris Burnell for that recommendation. They've been great every time I've ordered.

I'll document the process here for your typical pedal patch cable. The process is exactly the same for a 25' instrument cable, there's just more cable in between your connectors.

Here's a 90° connector, assembled and disassembled. This is the most basic connector available. It is $1.00. You can get gold plating, colored boots, etc. if you're in to any of that. A solid metal plug is probably a good idea if your stuff gets used hard.

So, it's pretty simple! We need to make two connections. The tip (signal) , and the ground. Stripping the wire properly is important. Step 1 is to strip back the outer most insulation. This will expose the mesh of ground wire. Twist this off to the side. Next you have another black layer of PVC insulation that is extremely thin. it's here to help with microphonics. This layer is actually conductive so it's crucial that it is stripped back further than the clear inner insulation. If you strip the inner black/clear layers to the same length, it's possible the conductive PVC layer could contact the tip which would cause problems. Of course the final step is to strip some of the clear insulation and twist your center conductor. When you're done, your cable should look like this! Adjust the lengths of wire and strip for your connectors. Every one is a little different.

Now you're ready to make some connections!

First I make the ground connection. I like to go nuts with this connection because, well, why not? The easiest way I've found is to make a little pool of solder on the plug. Then tin the ground wire. Then place it on top of the pool and heat them simultaneously. It'll suck down and make a nice solid connection. Like this!

Next you'll connect the signal wire. I like to use a little heat shrink here although I'm sure it makes no difference. If you are going to use heatshrink, obviously you have to slide it on before making the solder.

The next step is to crimp the cable to the connector and incorporate some stress relief. I simply crimp the cord lightly, then slide it to allow some slack, then finish the crimp. You can see the slack in the signal wire.

Re-assemble the connector and you're done! REMEMBER!!! (can't stress this enough) that when you go to do the 2nd connector you have to slide the "boot" on first.

A few notes. The mogami "mini" instrument cable is about 1/2 the cost of standard and is great for patch cables. It does 180° bends nicely. For the 25' cables I used the standard mogami cable and the new Neutrik "slient" jacks. They are phenomenal. They work exactly as advertised.

Total cost to build a patch cable like this is under $3. Compare to a Mogami/Neutrik cable at $20 in the store. The 25' cable with the Neutrik Silent jack is ~$80 in the store and under $30 like this.

So if you want good quality cables, it's worth it to build them yourself. Plus, it's easy and fun!

-J!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:29 pm 

I make a motion that this gets stickied. Do I hear a second?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 pm 

second

"the trouble with real life is there's no danger music"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:44 pm 

3rd.
Nice work James.
I wonder if they make those plugs in Stereo Versions?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:49 pm 

awesome, thanks! like you said, this is one of those things that just always seemed easy but i never got around to doing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:50 pm 

Thanks to everyone. I hope it's helpful!

dcountry13 wrote:
3rd.
Nice work James.
I wonder if they make those plugs in Stereo Versions?

If you're referring to the Neutrik silent jacks, the answer is no. There's a reed switch inside that connects/disconnects the signal and I'm sure it was a bitch to fit one in there, much less two...

Here's the neutrik site for more info if you're curious. They do work great!
http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_ ... tlist.aspx

Redco carries tons of standard TRS connectors and cable. If you wanted to do stereo cables the process would be the same with one more signal wire to connect.

-J!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm 

raublekick wrote:
awesome, thanks! like you said, this is one of those things that just always seemed easy but i never got around to doing.

Exactly.

So if you're building a bunch of pedals and now you need patch cables, put those skills to work!

Or, take your existing 25' instrument cables, cut the connector off the end and put the silent Neutrik jack on there (if you like to switch instruments live)

-J!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:17 pm 

Under $3 each? Where do you buy your plugs?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:22 pm 

SonicVI wrote:
Under $3 each? Where do you buy your plugs?

It's right at the beginning of the thread. http://www.redco.com

I used the Neutrik NYS207 connectors at $1/ea and Mogami W2319 cable at $0.36/ft

:D
-J!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:02 pm 

I've been wanting to do this for some time now. It looks so simple. Great pics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:28 pm 

Thanks for this James. Just picked up a batch of the Neutrik NYS207s myself after being inspired by a previous 'lost' thread of yours. Still shopping round for cable.

I'm in the UK and got mine here: http://www.audiosoundleads.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=NE313. Can't argue with 46p each - though there's a £25 minimum spend and £6+vat p'n'p! None in stock at the moment (I bought the last of 'em :twisted: ) but they restock regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:32 pm 

Great work James! Once again you have provided the board with some good usefull info. Keep it up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:07 pm 

http://www.tubedepot.com/cable.html

This pretty much tells the tale. I haven't bought a name cable in years. Canre gs6 or mogami and neutrik ends. End. Of. Story.
~MJH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm 

hogan wrote:

This pretty much tells the tale. I haven't bought a name cable in years. Canre gs6 or mogami and neutrik ends. End. Of. Story.
~MJH

OUCH! Their Mogami W2524 is $1.95/ft... It's $0.76/ft Redco

-J!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 pm 

James! wrote:
hogan wrote:

~MJH

OUCH! Their Mogami W2524 is $1.95/ft... It's $0.76/ft Redco

-J!

Yeah, I never buy from there, but the video is fairly thorough. That's all i meant w/ my post.
~MJH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:46 pm 

Great How-To, thanks...what sort of soldering iron (wattage) do you use to make the ground connections to the jacks?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 pm 

Hey walter! Welcome to the forum.

I use a Weller WESD-51 for all my soldering. It's adjustable and I usually work at 707 degrees. :D

-J!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:07 pm 

James! wrote:

I use a Weller WESD-51 for all my soldering. It's adjustable and I usually work at 707 degrees. :D

-J!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply James...do you think the jacks will suck too much heat for successful soldering with the typical inexpensive ~30W iron many of us might be using?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 am 

Hey i fourth / fifth / whereever we've got to, that this is a sticky.

Absolutely essential read here.

I'm a fool for either freaking out about the cable cost and buying cheap bad ones, or else bting the bullet and buying expensive ones .. only to have the stolen at a gig by band members / other bands.

Will try and make my own for certain now i've read this.

Thanks for a brilliant thread James.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:40 am 

walternewton wrote:
James! wrote:

-J!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply James...do you think the jacks will suck too much heat for successful soldering with the typical inexpensive ~30W iron many of us might be using?

Unfortunately I can't say. I've been lucky enough to have nice weller stations from the start. I borrowed one from work until I bought my own. All I can say is give it a try! You're not soldering to the "body" of the jack itself, there is a thin ground piece that you're soldering to.

-J!

manichedgehog wrote:
Hey i fourth / fifth / whereever we've got to, that this is a sticky.

Absolutely essential read here.

I'm a fool for either freaking out about the cable cost and buying cheap bad ones, or else bting the bullet and buying expensive ones .. only to have the stolen at a gig by band members / other bands.

Will try and make my own for certain now i've read this.

Thanks for a brilliant thread James.

I'm glad you feel that way. I knew I wasn't alone. Good cables are too expensive, cheap cables are just wrong when you spend all this time building amazing pedals. Have a go at it!

-J!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 pm 

James! wrote:
You're not soldering to the "body" of the jack itself, there is a thin ground piece that you're soldering to.

OK thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware that was the case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:15 pm 

looks great James! :!:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:37 pm 

This is great - I just placed my order, but this needs to be a sticky!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:51 pm 

rnagoda wrote:

Maybe people should PM the mods *wink wink*

-J!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:13 pm 

James! wrote:
rnagoda wrote:

Maybe people should PM the mods *wink wink*

-J!

I love this thread! No idea why it is not a sticky yet! Very helpful and applicable!

Celebrating 11 Years!