Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:53 pm 

This is interesting me a lot but my pedals are pretty tight on my board. Anyone know of any low-profile jacks like the ones found on Hosa patch cables?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:10 pm 

Personally, I like these
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=697

Frag Magnet wrote:

BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:26 am 

How the hell did this thread elude me this long?

Well, lol, I just bought some cable from redco and the jacks at dale pro.

Only got 22 jacks and 30 some feet of wire.

I found switchcraft silent jack plugs as well. A little cheaper, no gold plating though http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=763

Thanks James! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:24 am 

Anyone know of a good "how to make your own speaker cable" tutorial?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:52 am 

twangzilla wrote:

Pretty much the same. Just get TRS plugs instead of TS plugs, and 2 conductor cable instead of 1!

-J!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:46 pm 

Gino wrote:
This is interesting me a lot but my pedals are pretty tight on my board. Anyone know of any low-profile jacks like the ones found on Hosa patch cables?

I buy the low profile 90 degree connectors from Parts Express and make all my patch cable with them.

Just make sure to buy a few extra they are easy to overheat and melt the plastic ring inside making the connector useless :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:26 am 

LJay942 wrote:
Gino wrote:

I buy the low profile 90 degree connectors from Parts Express and make all my patch cable with them.

Just make sure to buy a few extra they are easy to overheat and melt the plastic ring inside making the connector useless :?

I see ones that look like these all the time at Radio Shack. I recently bought a connector that is too narrow. The power jacks are also side mounted, and the cords don't bend out of the way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:22 am 

LJay942 wrote:
Gino wrote:

How much are those? I've been interested in this thead and would LOVE to do this, but it loses appeal real quickly when the jacks start costing $6 or more per cable, shipped. The first one James put up were a good deal and you could build good cables cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:14 pm 

I've PM'd James but it seems as though he hasn't been on in a while and hasn't replied, so I'll post this question here if anyone knows.

I've tried to solder the same kind of connectors that James has in his guide but I'm having a ton of trouble with soldering the ground. It seems nearly impossible to melt the solder on the ground part cause heat seems to dissipate quite a bit when the soldering pencil touches that area. I've lifted up that metal piece a bit so heat wouldn't dissipate as badly and it worked for the most part. But when I tried to solder the ground wire to that area it's impossible to repeat that method. I have no trouble soldering the signal wire cause the area is very small.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:22 pm 

Anyone? I'm using a ton of cables with cold soldering joints right now as a result. :( I also emailed neutrik and they said it would help if I were soldering with a non-metal grip. Well, I have been using a metal vicegrip, but I've soldered things successfully with it before.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 pm 

I’ve not used these specific connectors, but I’ve used others and I’ve had similar difficulties with the ground not getting a good connection.

I always tin the ground wires prior to soldering them to their destination. Then I leave the soldering iron on the ground lug for a couple seconds and then apply solder to the ground lug. Then I put the tinned ground wire on the ground lug while the soldering iron is still applied. Wait until the solder from the ground wire and the ground lug form one solder blob, then remove the soldering iron.

If this doesn’t work, you may check your soldering iron…it may not be working properly, or the temperature may be set too low.
Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:41 pm 

That method didn't work for me cause I couldn't get solder on the ground lug. Getting solder everywhere else is fine but that area just doesn't want to melt solder at all. I think my iron is fine cause it can tin wires and solder the signal wire easily. I've also used it on circuit boards. There's gotta be a way to solder the ground easier and I think James knows the way

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:00 pm 

Maybe your iron is too low of a wattage. All you gotta do is apply heat, melt some solder and it will pool up. Its pretty simple, and you shouldnt have any problems. There is no tricks involved that James has with held. Just because you can form a joint or tin a wire doesnt mean your iron is capable of heating a larger metal part.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:59 am 

You can get these HOSA looking jacks from AMAZON, $1.18 each.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... Y&v=glance

WARNING !!!

These "HOSA" jacks available fom partsexpress.com/Amazon are complete GARBAGE. Do not waste your time or money on these things. Reviews have noted tone/volume loss and mine were very scratchy if nudged, and were very intermittent, and the jack tips can be easily bent and broken off. They look identical to HOSA's. Using the same mogami wire yielded bad results for me and it wasnt my soldering or the cable wire. Buyer Beware.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:00 pm 

i bought http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=697 took me less than a minute to solder the plug, compared to 15 minutes for the NYS 207s (not kidding). i reckon that i must've been doing something really wrong with those NYSs though. anyone wanna buy my screwed up cables so you can resolder them? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:16 pm 

I cant thank you enough, Im never buying cable again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:15 pm 

I made some patch cables last night using the jacks posted in the OP and this: http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=542

don't buy that cable. I'm sure it works fine but it's a pain in the ass to get the shield back since it's braided. I finally figured out I could use a pick (like dentist, not like guitar) to undo the braid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:02 pm 

Jaxion wrote:
I made some patch cables last night using the jacks posted in the OP and this: http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=542

don't buy that cable. I'm sure it works fine but it's a pain in the ass to get the shield back since it's braided. I finally figured out I could use a pick (like dentist, not like guitar) to undo the braid.

I just used some Canare GS-6 the other day. It has that same woven shield. Just have to roll it in your finger to get it to separate so it can be twisted and soldered. It's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. I like it better than the Mogami W2524.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:34 am 

What about straight jacks (for guitar -> pedals and pedals -> amp cable), are these good: http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=1111 ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 am 

koen wrote:
What about straight jacks (for guitar -> pedals and pedals -> amp cable), are these good: http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=1111 ?

I've used those with equally good results as the Neutriks with the plastic backing. They are not as wide or long as the other Neutrik plug but are just as good, at least in my experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 pm 

just an fyi... the $1 jacks are back at redco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 pm 

I just ordered the same stuff as the thread starter. I'll post pics and a maybe video of doing the ground for all those having issues. One tip though, get a hotter iron and try roughing up the jack a little with some large-ish grit sandpaper where you want to solder the ground, I have found it makes it sick a little better. A hotter iron (or a torch) is a must though for soldering onto large pieces of metal. It takes a lot of power to heat up a big chunk of metal enough to melt solder.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 pm 

nonameputs wrote:
A hotter iron (or a torch) is a must though for soldering onto large pieces of metal. It takes a lot of power to heat up a big chunk of metal enough to melt solder.

What temp are you aiming for when soldering the ground?

James! wrote:
twangzilla wrote:

Pretty much the same. Just get TRS plugs instead of TS plugs, and 2 conductor cable instead of 1!

-J!

Is there any issue using TRS instead of TS?

I'm making cables for a pedal board; short ones routing from pedals to Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher loops.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:16 pm 

Quick question on this. I purchased the Mogami cable and techflex covering from Redco. I've tried various sizes of shrink tubing, and using my soldering iron or stovetop, I've been able to get it to shrink and look really nice. But I can't seem to get it tight enough that the Neutrik boots can fit over the edge of the shrink tubing. If I try pulling really hard, the shrink tubing scrunches up at the end of the cable. Has anyone run into this issue? I've tried with both 3/8" and 1/2" shrink tubing. (1/4" won't fit). Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:06 am 

Any recommendations for plugs like these:

The idea is that I can put the pedals closer together. No idea if they have a special name, this is the first one that showed up with a pic in a google search.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next