Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Envirotex jig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 pm 

I was just working up a few of these last night and thought I'd take a few pics for kics and post. I'm sure there are other methods that would work just as well but this is mine, which I think I stole from PMc6. I make one for 125's, 1590BB and DD.

So, just grab a good cardboard box of some kind. Can be anything but the more sturdy the better. Draw out your enclosure size on the back. Get some golf tees, the extra long ones, and pop them in there. I like to put little washers over them for a few reasons. One, it keep that tee from getting pushed in too far by accident and two, it helps to level out the tees which is hugely important....if you like even coverage that is. Make sure those washers are level as you work them down.

Then flip it over. Set on something level. Take a level, torpedo level works good here and measure from tip to tip or you can pop the enclosure on there and level it. If not level figure out which tee is off and pull out or push in...whatever your pleasure 8)

Once level I put a little glue in there to hold the tees in place. Let dry. If you were going to epoxy a pedal right then, then I'd just epoxy it as that will hold the tees in when dry.

Here is one that I've used a few times

Don't forget about the bottom plates. Grab your wifes favorite Brighton's box, draw out your lids and repeat the above process. You might want to take her shoes out, but up to you :D

Post subject: Re: Envirotex jig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 pm 

That's awesome TN, if i ever go envirotex, i'll do it that way.

All that just make sense to me. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 pm 

Nice tut, TN!

You must be pretty liberal with that Envirotex application, there's a lotta 'tex on the ground there :lol: I'm very miserly with that stuff..

Post subject: Envirotex jig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:38 pm 

Nice!!! I usually use inverted Dixie cups and end up having to xacto bits of cup off the top of the inside.

I'll try this one tonight as I have a few pours to get to.

And speaking of envirotex, how are you all getting smooth and even covered sides? Mine always come out sort of pitted and uneven.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:14 pm 

khekwenyes wrote:

And speaking of envirotex, how are you all getting smooth and even covered sides? Mine always come out sort of pitted and uneven.

The million dollar question...that and how to completely remove the lip at the bottom. The sides seem to be fickle. This sort of goes to PPG's comment in that I use a lot of the stuff and it is mostly because I want good coverage on the sides. I don't know how else to do it and pour over the jack holes to get them good and soaked for good coverage below the holes. I never have a "pitted" issue but I do sometimes have an uneven or slight ripple effect if you will..then sometimes I don't. I really don't know why it does that to be honest. I used to decal the sides and that stuff didnt' like that at all. It would completely run off parts of the decal for some reason.

But to answer your question, good coverage the first time and I pour a second time around the sides only about 5-10 minutes after the first pour. Also, I make sure my paint job is smooth on the sides. A buddy of mine said to try wiping the sides with acetone before the pour thinking the epoxy might stick better. So I ran out and bought some and every frickin time I forget to try it on one pedal. Don't know if it would help or hurt but I need to give it a shot anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm 

Second-best use of a Mouser box I've seen! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 am 

Morgan wrote:
Second-best use of a Mouser box I've seen! :D

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:58 pm 

Nice one TN, way easier than chopping down skewers which is what I have been doing. I dont think I know a single person that golfs, but Tees have to be dirt cheap right?

I can not stress enough how important it is that your enclosures be level, and this is part of the key to getting good coverage on the sides. A couple of things that I do as well. I take a paint brush, and before I pour anything, I paint the sides with the eniro to get it "wet". This breaks all the surface tension between the enviro and the paint and allows it to flow down the sides much easier, and then you wont get any the holes or gaps where the enviro missed a spot. Also the second pour seems to be key, and getting a good even flow down the sides, which means using a bit more per pedal (also why TN looks like he has a swimming pool there) but is worth it IMHO.

Also, my guilty admission, I have had a few rough sides that dont really show the way the photos are taken :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:21 pm 

Good stuff!

I'm using this a lot more now and digging the results. I find a good sharp exacto knife really helps me shave down excess at the bottom so it all sits perfectly on the plate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:27 am 

DuctTapeRiot wrote:
Nice one TN, way easier than chopping down skewers which is what I have been doing. I dont think I know a single person that golfs, but Tees have to be dirt cheap right?

I can not stress enough how important it is that your enclosures be level, and this is part of the key to getting good coverage on the sides. A couple of things that I do as well. I take a paint brush, and before I pour anything, I paint the sides with the eniro to get it "wet". This breaks all the surface tension between the enviro and the paint and allows it to flow down the sides much easier, and then you wont get any the holes or gaps where the enviro missed a spot. Also the second pour seems to be key, and getting a good even flow down the sides, which means using a bit more per pedal (also why TN looks like he has a swimming pool there) but is worth it IMHO.

Also, my guilty admission, I have had a few rough sides that dont really show the way the photos are taken :oops:

Tees are real cheap but I can't remember what I paid for a huge bag. I think I got 100 tees but they have to be extra long as it is easier to get under the lip to wipe off the excess. It also lifts up the enclosure higher which matter when taping as that way that tape doesn't get into the excess on the bottom. But those tees would last a long long time.

Do you think brushing the sides helps get rid of that slight ripple effect? I'll try that next time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:35 pm 

I decided to upgrade my Envirotex jig this weekend, after taking a cue from TNblueshawk's lovely method (thanks John!).. I also decided to go with some 1/8" wood for added durability (also couldn't find any fancy shoeboxes to ruin). I went the whole 9 yards with the washers on the golf tees, wood glue under the washers, and I surrounded each golf tee with leftover envirotex on the top.

I used to have a different setup for each pedal size.. having some of each on one board is way handier! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:42 pm 

i should have a fifty pounds or so of golf tee's left over from the golf store. i'll look and pass them along to anyone who wants to pay shipping.

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:47 pm 

Nice PPG !! One box and labeled FTW :mrgreen:

Dang, I need to up my game now :lol:

Spin, thanks for the offer bro, but I've got probably 50 left speaking for myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:06 pm 

spin wrote:
i should have a fifty pounds or so of golf tee's left over from the golf store. i'll look and pass them along to anyone who wants to pay shipping.

That's enough golf tees to build a sweet Iron Maiden instead!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:38 pm 

I realize this is a very old post... is there any way to get the pictures updated? I'm a newbie and looking into finishing techniques for my pedals.

Thank you.
Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:59 pm 

Very doubtful. Those were photos posted on Imageshack 10 years ago and I'm sure they're long gone. The poster hasn't been on the forum since last January. You could try sending him a PM and ask if he might still have copies, but that seems like quite a longshot....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:22 pm 

I probably have the old pics on my Mac. It was nothing fancy to be sure. Still have the boxes with golf tees.

Hey Bob :D I've lurked a bit but really fell off reading and responding for some reason.