Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:53 pm 

So in my spare time I thought I’d start sort of a tutorial thread on using this stuff. I think enough people use it now and or want to use it to where hopefully this thread is helpful to some people. There was a real good thread in here but due to some SQL happenings I don’t think it reads very well as my posts are gone, people’s response to my posts and then my response to their response to my post…er…well whatever. Not that there is not good info in the other posts. Great advice by others in fact. I just thought I’d toss this out there to where it reads a tad better maybe. The ORIGIN for me http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/ ... e+tutorial

I’m hoping it might be more of a living document kind of thing with the others folks who use it chiming in on what works for them. This is by no means a thing of I do it this way and it is the right way. This is how I do it this way after many failures and maybe someone won’t make the mistakes I did/do. But, there is a learning curve and like all this stuff we do, what works for you ends up what is best for you.

Maybe if the Mod God’s are feeling it, it will become a sticky :mrgreen: :idea:

So without much ado…

Envirotex (or at Home Depot Parks Glaze) what is it? It is a two part epoxy. It is just like any other. Put the two parts together and mix thoroughly and it generates heat and you have a set time to work with it and then after that don’t touch it. Of the two brands I like Envirotex better. Dunno. It might be the old I think I hear a difference in these IC’s when in reality there is not, but it just seems like I’ve gotten better finishes. It’s probably just my self-fulfilling prophecy, who knows.

Where to buy it? Well, where you can and the cheapest you can. You can print off a 40% coupon on line from Michael’s and buy it. I go that route mostly. I’ve gotten it at Ace Hardware which is the best price I’ve found. It is about the same as Michael’s WITH the coupon so the mark up at Michael’s is ridiculous. Speaking of markups, try buying it at Hobby Lobby. Ridiculous as well. I have not purchased this on line. Maybe a better deal is to be had especially if you want to go the gallon route Kunfuz 8)

I’ve only seen Parks Glaze at Home Depot. It's about the same price as Ace.

The size I typically buy is 32oz’s or what is two 16oz bottles. A “good” deal here in the states is about $22-25 bucks. Have no idea how many pours each person will get. Depends on run off and waste that I’ll comment on later. If the stars align in my life I might get 5 pours out of this. If not…well….I don’t want to talk about it :twisted:

The “jig”: So, to do this right you need something to hold the enclosure up off the table as you have run off and drips. Very important is that whatever you do you get it level. If you don’t and since this is a self-leveling epoxy it will simply run towards the lower side and you end up with a bare strip on the opposite end. Ask me how I know this. What you come up with is up to you. This link is what I have done which I stole from PMcG No6 http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/ ... ig#p309867. Post pics of what you come up with. I’m all for something better.

I use a small torpedo level to get it just right. I’ve put shims under the jig before. Have your wife keep her finger under there for 2 hours :D . Whatever works for you.

The Prep: I put a sheet of plywood over a couple saw horses. Whatever you use make sure it is flat and level or you will play heck getting the enclosure level. Get your little propane torch to pop bubbles. I don’t blow although others do. I keep spitting on my pedal and I figure that can’t be good. Get something that you will use that will wipe off drips. I use a metal wire tie that you use to tie rebar. I have about a thousand of these things when I built a patio…but that is another thread altogether. I clip off one loop end and I’ve got a sturdy, thin metal thingy to wipe along the bottom of the enclosure. Use whatever you want. Get you a roll of paper towels. Now, you need to decide how you want to cover these things while drying. Some use cardboard boxes. I used to until I got tired of tiny pieces of cardboard in my finishes. I raided my wife’s Tupperware and now am the proud owner of 4 large bowls of one dimension or another. She finally got over it. Flip it over and tack cloth it. No telling what little creatures crawled in there and died in the garage while being stored. I also grab a couple paint cans as in pints or smaller that I use to set the Tupperware on. I want airflow coming in for it to dry quicker. You do not want to have your garage door open unless you like all kinds of stuff in your finish. If at night and it is summer, keep it closed or you end up with bugs attracted to lights which then land on your finish. I don’t think the fumes are that bad compared to stains, paints, thinners and on and on.

The Enclosure Prep: I do all my drilling before the pour. I then decal before the pour and I cut out the holes on the decal before the pour. Some cut out the top holes and not the side holes and some no holes. Pick your poison. There are pros and cons to all. One thing I do try to do and be conscious of is prepping the bottom edge. If while painting and if you prime, if you have a lip develop from that, then this epoxy will make that lip bigger. When I sand the enclosure I also sort of hit that edge pretty well maybe to bring it down 1mm or something to help allow for this. Don’t know if that works but in my mind it does.

The Taping: This is a critical thing here. The reason you tape is to deal with the issue of having a lip at the bottom of the enclosure. If you want a fat lip then don’t tape along the bottom. But, I use blue painters tape and run it along the inside of the enclosure. Make sure you tape over the little screw holes or you won’t like getting the epoxy out of those very much. As I’m typing I realize pics would really help here but I don’t have any handy. Next you have the issue of jack holes. The issue here involves the fact as you pour down the sides the epoxy tends to want to develop flow lines around the jack holes. I’m guessing here but my take on that is a lip form above the first half of the hole. Since this stuff dries over time is slowly flows down. But it hardens. So little by little a lip will form and the excess flows around each side of the lip and you get these flows lines if you will. What seems to have worked very well for me and most others I’ve read about is you have to take about 5 minutes out and cut little round circles the size of the DC and in/out jacks and tape it to the hole. The idea is to barely cut that circle to where it just grabs the edges of the hole. The notion is to have that epoxy flow right over the top of it as those it is a solid surface and eliminate the flow lines. I’m able to have this come out good 90% of the time roughly. Finally there is the issue of “pillowing” on top. Frankly, I don’t mind it. Because of the empty holes the epoxy runs through the holes so you end up with a downward slope around the holes. I think it’s kind of cool or maybe that is what I tell myself. The footswitch hardware and most knobs do a great job of hiding this. LED’s is where you see it more I suppose and toggles. The only way to have no pooling is to not cut out your decal in advance. Or, I guess you could tape it underneath as well. I don’t do this and it requires another technique. I would rather let some others comment on how they handle that. It will require cutting and or drilling after the epoxy has set up.

The Mixing: What I do is go to Walmart, or for you corporate haters go to your local mom and pop, and get some of those PGA cups we all used in college, the red and blue cups. I like the ones that are ribbed inside the cup. It allows you to measure each bottle. It is extremely important to nail the measurement of each component at 50/50. It is equally important to stir completely. I’ve made the mistake of forgetting this step and I ended up with a sticky forever enclosure with divots. Had to strip her down. I use paint stirrers that I grabbed 30 of when the Home Depot paint dude isn’t looking. They are free but they don’t like you taking their stuff unless you buy a gallon. Wipe the thing off or what is on the end of that stick, splinters, dirt, hair etc… or it will end up right in your finish. Now pour one cup into the other. Stir for about 30 seconds. Make sure you dig down and get the bottom mixed. Nice steady swirls. Now pour into the other cup. Same deal. You have a choice here. The “harder” you stir the more air bubbles you generate and therefore the more that must pop. I try to mix good enough but try not to get a ton of air bubbles too.

The Pour: I use a tack cloth to wipe off dust. Go back and make sure you didn’t knock it out of level when done. Now, here is where you might get all kinds of different techniques I think. Some might pour in swirls on top (I think the instructions tell you to do it this way) Some might put a big blob and watch it move. Some move it with a stick or something. I have done this in the past and used those throw away black spongy brushes. If you use this take some painters tape and tape the end and pull it off. It takes off fuzzies or whatever. Bonus tip here: Do this same thing on paint rollers when painting your house. Should you pour the top first or the sides? Advantage or disadvantage? What I seem to do mostly is hit those sides first. Go all around them. Pay particular attention to the corners as the epoxy wants to split there and flow away from going down the entire length of that corner. When you get to the side jack holes I flood it in order to get it run right over the top of those holes.

Let me make a quick comment on waste. I guess I’m just not good enough as I end up wasting a lot. If you waste very little then more power to you. Develop your style and go with it. I just want to get good coverage on the sides and for me this ends up in waste. Some like to take something and pick up the waste while wet and put it back on there. I don’t. I worry about picking up trash too much to do that. Anyway, whatever works for you.

So when done with the sides I hit the top. I don’t like taking something to move it around. I’ve done it but I guess I just pour and let it do its thing. I will go back and forth in small strips and let those strips close up with each other. Pour a dab here and a dab there as I need. Stare at it. Make sure you covered it all. Then I go back and pour over those sides one more time. Again, the sides are the main issue using this stuff. From there the first thing I do is check out the bubbles. If you want to blow, blow. I fire up the propane torch and get about 9 or so inches and fairly quickly go across the tops and sides. You will see the bubbles pop. ALERT: Mistake # 79 or thereabouts. If you lay that torch on there either too long per pass or too much (usually the case with me) it create a “skin” if you will. In other words it dried to fast on top. You do NOT want this. If this happens, when you go to puncture the LED holes while wet, as they tend to close up, this skin pulls if you will. It will dry with the “pull look” to it. It’s not the worst look but it’s not the best. So if blowing is your bag, blow on it. Just don’t hang a big ole hocker on it :wink:

In case you are wondering I think bubbles left in there are kind of cool. I’ve done this on purpose on the bottom plate before. Cool effect I think.

Anyway, the next thing I do is take my metal “stick” and run it along the bottom of the enclosure trying to take off the excess. I kind of tilt that wire tie up some in order to take a little more off as I go around since it will keep draining for an hour or so I guess. Wipe off with paper towel. Next up I puncture any holes on top that are closed off. This is usually toggle holes and LED’s. Sometimes it is pot holes. I use my wire tie,puncture and pull up and wipe off with paper towel. Repeat as necessary.

Then I ever so carefully pop my lids over everything. Now, if your tape job is superb and you just nailed it you are likely done. But I wait 15 minutes. I go back and run my wire tie along the bottom to again try to keep that lip down. Puncture anything on top that might have closed up and the lid goes back on. Done…for me. I know some do it for 30 minutes this same routine. I think when you get to 30 minutes you are playing with fire here. But again, you will develop what you want to do.

Lighting: I have a 1000w Halogen light that I use. You will want good light or you will be amazed at what you miss without it. You will be squatting down looking at this thing within inches trying to see bare areas etc… especially on the sides.

Quick comment on clothes. As you can see you will be peering over this thing a lot in the beginning. If you wear a wool shirt I hope you like wool fibers in your enclosure. If you have a beard and you were out until 4:00 a.m. the night before and didn’t brush that thing I hope you like beard hair in your epoxy. If you are going to rock it in the nude…well…you know where I’m going there :shock: I wear nylon type shirts and shave my forearm hair. Just kidding. No cotton balls falling off that. No fabric hairs etc… Same precaution as one would take if you were nitro’n a guitar for example.

The Cut: So you’ve spent all this time preparing and doing the deed. Now it’s time to cut the tape. Why mess it up here so this is just as important. First up is timing. When? Well, you might get some different answers here too. My take is that you have to grip that enclosure as you tear tape and shave epoxy. I like to wait 72 hours. I’ve done it in 48 and left my fingerprints in there. After 72 hours I have never left my fingerprints in there. At this stage it is not totally cured and I find it easier to work with. I’ve waiting a week and it is more “brittle” when it comes to shaving some holes. I still like it just a tad “soft” so to speak. I tear the tape off around the inside. Don’t worry about leaving some epoxy on the lip at this stage. Next up is getting the jack holes open. I push with a finger from the outside inward. It usually breaks loose and I just sort of pull it out. NEVER push outward towards the outside of the enclosure. Next up is I’m shaving around the bottom edge with a very sharp razor blade knife. Be careful. You run the risk of running that knife across your finger/hand or worse along the outside of that enclosure. Ask me how I know both of these. Next up jack holes. I have a very small blade knife that is a small razor blade type knife. I cut around the holes carefully. For the in/out jack holes with the hardware being installed you have a small margin for error here. The DC jack…not so much. Go slow and careful. I dry fit the parts as I go for as soon as they fit in the hole I’m done. I then check out the top holes .Same deal here. Cut slow and little by little around the holes. Test fit. Done.

Comment on drilling. I think some dudes like to drill around the holes to clean off the epoxy. Go for it. I used to. I quit because on occasion it would pull up that epoxy around the hole and then you are screwed. Hopefully a knob or something covers it up. If not, bummer. I’ve stripped back down a few enclosures. This is my issue with not cutting out the decal and then drilling. I don’t want to take the chance. I know Juan Solo and Maurader have a cool technique for dealing with this over at Bean’s. I may have to try it one day. I would rather them comment or you can search over there.

From here put it together. Or if you are like me it sits there as you already have another build that isn’t working that you must get working due to a severe OCD condition.

Sorry to be so verbose. I know I’m forgetting something to boot but I think I’m contracting carpal tunnel so I’ll stop. It sounds awful if you read it. But it is not. Like anything it will just become a process that you get used to and perfect hopefully. From the time I first tape to the time I put the lid on and am done is maybe an hour. I try to do a few pours at a time. I don’t like to do more than 3 pedals as you are then playing with Father Time. Like Mother Nature, Father Time doesn't want to be messed with. The cutting/shaving, 10 minutes maybe.

Please, for all those other folks that do this jump in. Comment on what you do and or do differently. If you don’t agree with something, I don’t care. Mention how you do it differently. What works for one may or may not work for the other.

Lastly, sorry for my grammar (fragmented sentence right there) :|

Envirotext Jig thread; viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36406&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=envirotex+jig

Last edited by TNblueshawk on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:15 pm 

John, nice novel!!! But man you really nailed it down right there. Here are a few thoughts based on my envirotex work:
- Dust, cat hair, and other crap will find your pour like majic. Where you pour is key, a bit drafty dusty garage, not so great. I have started to use a closet in our "random crap" room cause I can keep it super clean, and when I do a pour I can shut it and there will be no air movement and no %$#%$ cats.

- I recommend doing 2 enclosures (including lids) at a time. I find I have about 20 min max working time once I mix, after that it is very difficult to get all the bubbles out (note, I use the blowing method and not a torch so that may help). I have also noticed that the few times I tried to do 3 or 4 at a time, the last one wound up with a bit of a "film" of little dots where the bubbles came up and popped on the surface, but then the envirotex never smoothed out after

- In order to ensure that you get nice even coverage over the sides of the enclosure (no missed spots), without pouring a bunch of extra, I take either a very clean paintbrush, or a makeup sponge (which I also use to squeegee the waterslide decals) and before I do my main pour, I "paint" the sides of both the enclosure and the lid. I actually used to get more dry spots on the edge of the lid because the side there is so small. You want the sides to be all "wet" with enviro. This will break most of the surface tension from the dry paint and allow the enviro to flow well down the sides. You still need to do some checking and close inspection, but I have found this really helps a lot.

- I have had no luck at all with waterslide decals on the sides of the enclosure. I just makes the enviro run off that patch faster as the decal is so slick and it winds up all wrinkly and thin. I know others have had good results using vinyl decals on the sides.

- I have tried just about everything I can think of to prevent the lip from forming on the bottom (except actually for the specifics of using tape as John describes which I am going to try this weekend). I have tried using wax on the bottom surface, tried the "Make a cardboard extender" method that is trying to allow the enviro to run down off the edge, and have tried a ton of different "wipe the drips" regimes, and I think the best results come from a good wiping regime, and I do very much the same as John above, except that I do more wipes. I do one at 30 min, one at 1 hour, and 1 at 2 hours. I also angle my wiping stick up to take a bit of the extra of the lip. I am very careful with my last wipe at 2 hours, I will be very tacky at that point, so I am careful that my wiper is only removing material, not letting it bunch up etc. And it is ok if the edge looks a little bit rough after that last wipe, it will still sag/flow a little more after that. I have never been able to get no lip at all, just a nice neat small one.

- I always leave my full face decal whole, and cut the pot, switch led holes etc afterwards. I usually do this at 48 hours post pour when the enviro is hard enough that I wont leave any fingerprints, but not 100% set so I can still cut it with a razor knife. I use a little hobby knife (looks a bit like a scalpel?), and I just very carefully cut out each hole. I only ever use cutting strokes that go from the outside in as you don't want to pull up the enviro at all. I have had a number of people say that drilling is mostly fine, especially if you start with a smaller bit and work up. Again I think you would want to be careful to have the drill only cut on the way down.

And finally, despite that it seems like a ton of work, you do quickly get a method going, and man I looooove the results this stuff gives. The clear gloss really brings out metallic and perloid effects in paint, and it is friggin bullet proof once set up. Ohh there is another good one, it is not fully 100% completely hardened until about 4-5 days post pour.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 pm 

I just did my first poured epoxy finish, although I didn't use Envirotex. However, I do use epoxy a lot, so this is my experience with it. Keep in mind, I've never used Envirotex, but it is a Bisphenol A resin, so I would expect it to behave similarly (viscosity differences aside). Still, you can take it with a grain of salt. At the very least, it might show a slightly different approach.

1.) Mix time can affect how well epoxy cures. If you don't mix it well, it may not ever fully cure. If you mix it too long, the chemical reaction gets a bit further along and pot life can be reduced (which can be a good thing at times). Some of the epoxy I have used needs to be stirred for a good 3 minutes to really mix it. Other stuff can be mixed for 20 seconds and it is good to go. It really depends on the epoxy.

2.) Heating up the epoxy will usually briefly lower the viscosity, then it will speed up the cure time. Some epoxies I have used have a 24 hour cure time at room temp, but will cure in 1-2 hours in the oven at 120F or so.

3.) Cooling the epoxy will extent its pot life if you need more working time. The viscosity may go up a bit, though. This makes sense as it is an exothermic chemical reaction and cooling it down retards this process.

4.) When I did my 1 epoxy pour, I drilled the holes in the enclosure, then put on the full-face sticker (without holes), then poured the epoxy. I re-drilled the holes where the sticker/epoxy was in place. This worked fine. The only glitch was I had to re-drill the LED hole with a larger sized bit, which caused a very slight chip. It was fine when I drilled it the first time.

5.) I decided not to pour the epoxy on the sides. I actually applied the epoxy to the edges of the sticker with a syringe and then added it on top of the sticker. I got a bit too aggressive with the epoxy and it overcame surface tension and some did eventually run down the back, but that was my error. Once epoxy finds a wicking path, that is where it wants to go. The front and the sides didn't develop a wicking path and the epoxy held tight on top of the box along the edges of the sticker. Next time, I will put a little less epoxy and I think I can keep it all on top (we will see).

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:09 am 

Awesome Dave and PD.

While tossing and turning last night I thought about "the ripple". Great advice on painting those sides first. I have been wanting to try that and will on the next batch.

The taping brings down that lip but does not totally elimimate it. But with your method and taping, it should come close I would think.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:13 am 

Hey guys, I just wanted to say thanks for getting me into Envirotex - this stuff is amazing

A tip I will give to everyone that may have already been discussed is the use of a Heat Torch when the EVTex is still wet and just poured on.

The Torch allowed me to even out rippled areas on sides of enclosures and also allowed thicker areas on the surface to flow and even out, spilling over is nearest side or exit. It will also burn out a lot of dirt/grime that may start to "syrup" around in your finish, and it will also pop little bubbles that you might have missed!

This even surface as a result created a quicker cure, and I was able to fully load my pedal back up in only 18 hours.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:59 am 

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 am 

Next time, I am going to try something a bit different.

I think that I am going to epoxy flood the sticker by itself first. I *think* when it is fully cured, it will be hard enough that I can apply it without cracking the epoxy. Once in placed, I could go back and apply epoxy around the edges of the sticker, which would create a small fillet, smoothing the transition from sticker to case.

I suspect that this will only work on white, full colored stickers as clear could show air bubbles beneath.

We'll have to see if it works. If it doesn't, at least only a sticker is ruined and not an enclosure.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:20 pm 

Well, just changed my mind on drilling :evil: Just had to strip an enclosure right down as when I drilled the LED hole, it kind of "Shattered" the envirotex coating right around where the hole was. Some chips/flakes came right off. Never had that happen before, sigh, back to cutting out the holes with a hobby knife.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 pm 

DuctTapeRiot wrote:
Well, just changed my mind on drilling :evil: Just had to strip an enclosure right down as when I drilled the LED hole, it kind of "Shattered" the envirotex coating right around where the hole was. Some chips/flakes came right off. Never had that happen before, sigh, back to cutting out the holes with a hobby knife.

Man, ditto on that one. That is why I stopped too. How long had it cured?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:59 pm 

It had cured for at least 5 days, probably more like 7. So frustrating. Had another super annoying one yesterday as well where I guess the waterslide decal didnt bond properly in a few spots, but I couldnt see it until I poured the enviro and the gloss brought it out bright and clear. Gonna have to strip that one down too.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:01 pm 

DuctTapeRiot wrote:
It had cured for at least 5 days, probably more like 7. So frustrating. Had another super annoying one yesterday as well where I guess the waterslide decal didnt bond properly in a few spots, but I couldnt see it until I poured the enviro and the gloss brought it out bright and clear. Gonna have to strip that one down too.

:twisted: I don't believe I've not had a decal stick yet....that I know of anyway.

Maybe we shouldn't put all this on this thread as no one will try the stuff :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:44 pm 

I am 99% sure that it was because I had painted some small white spots on the enclosure before putting down the label so that it would make the eyes and teeth of my decal white. I was worried about that white paint running when I did the decal, so I hit it with a quick spray of rattle can clear, but I stupidly only sprayed around the spot where the white was, and I am pretty certain that the parts of the decal that didnt really bond were the parts that did not get covered by that spray of clear.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:13 pm 

TNblueshawk wrote:
DuctTapeRiot wrote:

:twisted: I don't believe I've not had a decal stick yet....that I know of anyway.

Maybe we shouldn't put all this on this thread as no one will try the stuff :lol:

"Lessons learned" are generally very helpful to others.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:54 pm 

Thanks again!

This tutorial was what I needed to get started with Envirotex. I used a regular brush to glob on the Envirotech and smooth the sides. Here are three of four of my tries. The missing try involved an improperly sticking decal, I have stripped off the Envirotex (easy to do on day 3) and will now reapply decal (Underdog!) and Envirotex again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 pm 

Ok, well I had to make a new "Jig" for my envirotex pours last weekend, and I came up with something pretty damn simple and kinda cool to make it easy to make sure everything is 100% level on the jig. This all came about as in my new workshop space, the shelf I have for doing my finishing work is not quite level to start with, and it is all tied into 4 other shelves so I couldnt be bothered to fix it.

I took a rectangular piece of plywood (mine is probably 1.5' by 3' ish, but it shouldn't matter), and I drilled one drywall screw through each corner until there was about 1" of the screw shaft and the head still sticking out. The head of each screw will become the "foot" of the jig when you flip it over.

Flip it over, and then adjust each screw until the jig sits level wherever you are going to be using it.

Now lay out how many enclosure and lid spaces you want to make, leaving enough room between each. Mark them with a Sharpie on the jig.

Now drill 4 screws for each enclosure/lid space, one for each corner of the enclosure/ lid. These ones will be drilled in the opposite way as the 4 that are the jig feet. This makes it easy to adjust the individual enclosures without having to flip the whole thing over. Now you can adjust each enclosure/lid spot to be level. In order to get maximum usability out of your jig, you can "nest" spaces for smaller enclosure types inside the larger ones by screwing those screws down just a little bit more than the outer "nested" ones. Just make sure you dont screw them in so far that you mess up the level of the over all jig.

Here is a quick and dirty MS paint drawing of what I mean.

Attachment:
EnviroJig.GIF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:40 am 

Damn cool Dave! I'm forever using shims still to get those suckers level!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 am 

THanks, I was always folding up bits of paper to prop everything up etc. I know it seems kind of stupid to write such a big post and make diagrams about putting screws in a board, but it really made things much easier for me. The enclosures just have to be bang on level to get the best results.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:15 pm 

neat-o! I did my jig with some very thin plywood too, but I still used golf tees for the enclosure 'posts'. To make sure the golf tees were all at the same uniform height, I put a small metal washer on them before inserting them in the holes.

I cut the plywood just the right size to fit in a good sized Rubbermaid clothes storage container, to keep out dust for dry-time. It's big enough that I can do (3) 1590BB enclosures, (2) 125B enclosures and (3) 1590B (or 1290NS if you prefer) all at the same time.

Of course the disadvantage of my golf tees approach is that I had to crazy glue them in place until after the first use.. I made sure to pool some extra Envirotex around each golf tee after that. With your drywall screws approach, that wouldn't be necessary. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:14 pm 

Holy cow, those look AWESOME!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm 

Hey Jon do you think the 473mL (16 oucne) case of Envirotex I got today is enough to completely cover 5 pedals?

1 - 125B
2 - 1590BB
2 - 1790

Going to give this stuff a shot this week, see how it works for me. Going to do the 125B first and then go from there. Might ask a few more questions along the way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:12 pm 

I'll tell you this, I use Dixie cups part a goes in one and part b goes in to a second cup. I just fill the bottom of the cups. This works on a 125b enclosure with some left over. I only cover the tops of the pedals. You don't need much at all.you don't have to cover the top, just the middle 2/3 of it and then use a Popsicle stick to spread it towards the edges. Too much and it runs over every time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:14 am 

ChrisM wrote:
Hey Jon do you think the 473mL (16 oucne) case of Envirotex I got today is enough to completely cover 5 pedals?

1 - 125B
2 - 1590BB
2 - 1790

Going to give this stuff a shot this week, see how it works for me. Going to do the 125B first and then go from there. Might ask a few more questions along the way.

Hey Chris, it should and I'm assuming you mean 16oz's of each or 32oz total when mixed?

I say it should because I always use too much and waste a lot but that is mainly to get good coverage on the sides. That is where the waste comes in.

The key to make it last is a steady hand and pour slow. You'll get a feel as you go. I use the paint stick I mix with to push it around on top especially when I'm trying to make it last.

One thing I learned is to mix the heck out of it. I used to worry about too many bubbles in the mixing but every once in a while I would get a tacky spot and it was from trying to be too perfect in mixing and trying to keep the bubbles out. I just stir the heck out of it and get the bubbles out later.

Feel free to ask any questions any time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:18 am 

Hmm I see, thanks guys.

I see a lot of people saying they only cover the tops?

Do you mean
A) You cover the top in envirotex then move it around and get it on the sides so the entire pedal is covered and protected.

or

B) You only have envirotex on the top of the pedal. The sides and back are bare.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:22 am 

I coat the whole enchilada. Only doing the top is something that Juansolo and Maurader over at Madbean's have perfected. They actually have a tutorial on it in a thread over there. I have never tried just the top. If I did I would go right to their tutorial before I did. If that is all you wanted to do you could do 20 pedals or more with the amount you have.

As luck would have it Bean's site is down and was all weekend I think. Not sure why.

Yeah, the waste comes into play when doing the sides. The problem is you have to flow it pretty good to get it to take over on the sides and to completely cover it. Even then the sides is always thinner than the top for obvious reasons. That never bothers me though. I will sometimes pour the sides twice.

The way I usually do it now is I pour around all 4 sides first. Then I pour the top. I've drizzled the top and let the epoxy seek a level to see how much it covers and then other times I've poured some in the middle and moved it around with my paint stick. To be honest any time I've tried to go 'cheap' with this stuff many times I come out on the losing end meaning I get a small dip on the surface on top as it didn't level out due to it being too thin etc... I finally just figured I'd make sure I had plenty of epoxy on there. Maybe it adds $2 to each pedal by doing so but I'm willing to suck that up. Heck I ate a shitty steak for $23 last night at Outback. That would have been 12 pedals worth but I digress.

Once I level out that pedal (and if you don't level it you will be sorry as it will seek a level and if not level it will just sort of run to the lower edge and you end up thinning one side of the pedal) I never move it. I'm afraid if I move it the level will change on me in some way. So while it is plopped up on my golf tees I just lean over ( I use a lint roller on my shirt before I pour...yeah...I'm anal about it but that's me) and pour around the sides.

I know my thread is way verbose above but the pour is just one aspect where one can screw the pooch. It's what you do after that counts too and or can screw the pooch. Taping off is a must if you don't want a thick ridge etc.. See above.

Are you just interested in doing the top? If so it would elminate headaches (maybe add a few more not sure?).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:28 pm 

ChrisM wrote:
Hmm I see, thanks guys.

I see a lot of people saying they only cover the tops?

Do you mean
A) You cover the top in envirotex then move it around and get it on the sides so the entire pedal is covered and protected.

or

B) You only have envirotex on the top of the pedal. The sides and back are bare.

B it's harder to get it evenly on the sides but I've done it once!