Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:07 pm 

I got this digital multimeter with my BYOC Starter package. I learned how to test resisters and diodes but I don't know where this has a setting for the capacitors. There also isn't anything in the multimeter instruction sheet that I can see. Do I have to get another meter just for capacitors or there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:41 pm 

If the meter has the below symbol on it, dial to that setting and you should be able to measure capacitance. For polarized caps (e.g. electrolytics and tantalums), use the red probe on the + side. For non-polarized caps, it doesn't matter which probe goes to which side.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:29 pm 

It has a symbol similar to that except the right vertical line is shorter, not the same length. I tried that setting but all I get is a -0.00 reading.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:43 pm 

Can you post a photo of your meter?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:08 pm 

I've tried to post pictures but the file sizes are all too big. It's the multimeter one that comes with the BYOC Starter kit. I'll try again sometime this evening. I requested help on uploading pictures, but no one has answered.

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:28 pm 

OK, in that case, I don't believe that particular meter has a capacitance feature. The symbol you were referring to is for the battery testing mode.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:03 pm 

I recently got myself one of these. $23 on Amazon. It works.

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:15 pm 

Thanks Guys for your replies. It's a bummer I have to buy another piece of equipment that I will have to learn to use. BYOC should include the capacitor tester with the starter kit that says it has everything you need, or at least let you know you have to purchase it separately. Do you all think it will be safe to finish up without testing the capacitors or should I head down to Radio Shack to see if I can pick one up there?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:45 pm 

Mike Green wrote:
Thanks Guys for your replies. It's a bummer I have to buy another piece of equipment that I will have to learn to use. BYOC should include the capacitor tester with the starter kit that says it has everything you need, or at least let you know you have to purchase it separately. Do you all think it will be safe to finish up without testing the capacitors or should I head down to Radio Shack to see if I can pick one up there?

Well, I went about three years without one so more than likely you don't really need one.

I got mine mainly because sometimes I salvage capacitors from "junk" boards I come across and I'd like to make sure electros are still in spec and sometimes I come across caps that don't have obvious value markings.

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 pm 

Don’t sweat it. There’s no need for a capacitance meter unless you have a bunch of caps lying around with no markings on them or you plan on making a career out of doing this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:38 pm 

Right. BYOC caps are always clearly marked. I only use that function on my meter to see if old caps are near spec or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:43 am 

Mike Green wrote:
It's a bummer I have to buy another piece of equipment that I will have to learn to use.

Huh???? :shock:

Substitute "excuse" for "bummer" and I get it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:47 am 

oldlefty wrote:
Mike Green wrote:
It's a bummer I have to buy another piece of equipment that I will have to learn to use.

No, no excuses, I'm just testing the waters here trying to see if I want to or even have the patience to build my own pedals. Money is no problem to me and I have a full board of the best pedals made. It's just that so far my BYOC starter kit +2 cost as much as my Klon KTR or Analogman KOT. I was just a little bummed that I had to spend more money to get my first pedal built. Thanks Frag Magnet, Morgan and Stephan for assuring me I can proceed with my build without it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:33 am 

I think oldlefty's comment was meant humorously--most of us around here are always on the lookout for an excuse to buy another piece of equipment!

And I'm in firm agreement with the opinion that a capacitance meter is really unnecessary for a beginning pedal builder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:22 am 

You definitely do not need a capacitance test function to build pedals. Especially if you are building from a kit or are ordering your own parts brand new from suppliers.

Cap testers are handy for sorting out duds from large boxes of old crap you get from electronics surplus sellers, and that's the kind of thing that you get into after the addiction has fully taken hold. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:42 am 

I was going to chime in early in the thread, but hesitated as there was plenty of feedback. As other have stated, when building a byoc kit there is no need to measure the capacitors. Capacitors have clearly marked numeric labels. Some of the film caps can be a little hard to decipher the first time around, but once you get the hang of it, it's super easy. I have been building pedals for about 4 years now, and have been working with electronics for a good amount of time. A capacitance meter is not something you will ever use in day to day building of new products. I've only ever used a capacitance meter to test the meter itself. Even in a diagnostic setting I don't even recall using the capacitance meter, most of the time I'm checking to see if the capacitor is properly blocking DC voltage. The only use I see using the function would be to test a batch of new old stock components for a mojo build, or to test old components for value drift. Don't feel like you got the bait and switch, it would have been included if it was something you needed. The only things you need to measure are the resistors since it is so hard to read the colors accurately.

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:05 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I think oldlefty's comment was meant humorously--most of us around here are always on the lookout for an excuse to buy another piece of equipment!

+1 Mike. That's exactly what Lefty meant. Just ask my wife about wanting an excuse to buy a new tool or piece of equipment :lol: Thanks to this hobby I now own a table saw, planer, router and jointer. No joke. I could go on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:12 pm 

TNblueshawk wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:

+1 Mike. That's exactly what Lefty meant. Just ask my wife about wanting an excuse to buy a new tool or piece of equipment :lol: Thanks to this hobby I now own a table saw, planer, router and jointer. No joke. I could go on.

I get it dudes, I sincerely apologize if I came off being defensive, I surely didn't mean too. Sorry Lefty, I'm new to this pedal building so I can surely understand getting into buying more stuff. I certainly am guilty of that being the proud owner of six guitars, two custom hand wired tube amps and massive pedal board already. My wife was not excited when I bought the kit and said "hey, I'm gonna start building my own pedals". So I'm not sure how much more I want to invest in this since I've got no knowledge and I'm not sure I'll keep doing it if I ever finish my first pedal, LOL! I just finished populating the Silver Pony and noticed a solder bridge in one of the 4u7 capacitors. Man those things are so close together. Dadgummit, Now I got to buy one of those solder pump thingamajigies!

Peace out everyone. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:48 am 

Mike Green wrote:
I certainly am guilty of that being the proud owner of six guitars, two custom hand wired tube amps and massive pedal board already. My wife was not excited when I bought the kit and said "hey, I'm gonna start building my own pedals".

Welcome aboard Mike, you sound like a regular already :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:05 pm 

oldlefty wrote:
Mike Green wrote:

Your right lefty, further down this post I apologized for sounding defensive and was bummed out about having to buy another pc. of equipment besides a tester. Although I was assured I didn't need a capacitor tester since I'm only using new parts, I ended up with a solder bridge on my first build. I had to get a solder sucker. I just unpacked and tried it out. Wow, what and amazing simple tool. It worked great. Now I'm on to finishing my first pedal. I need more excuses now to buy more tools.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:00 am 

Mike Green wrote:
oldlefty wrote:
Mike Green wrote:

Your right lefty, further down this post I apologized for sounding defensive and was bummed out about having to buy another pc. of equipment besides a tester. Although I was assured I didn't need a capacitor tester since I'm only using new parts, I ended up with a solder bridge on my first build. I had to get a solder sucker. I just unpacked and tried it out. Wow, what and amazing simple tool. It worked great. Now I'm on to finishing my first pedal. I need more excuses now to buy more tools.

Thanks.

That's the spirit! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:55 pm 

Mike Green wrote:
oldlefty wrote:
Mike Green wrote:

Thanks.

Heh heh heh :) Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:38 pm 

I just ordered one of these off eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCR-T4-Mega328 ... rxaBPL2Q7A

Don't know how accurate or useful it is, could be a POS, but looks interesting. Slow-boat delivery sometime in May....