Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:20 am 

I have my tone knob cranked and it sounds beautiful in flat mode but in hump and scoop modes it gets muddy and dark even with the tone knob dimed. The pot works and can definitely get lower. I know that's similar to the BMP but my BMP has a fairly massive tone sweep on both ends. I'm not looking for more lows and there's plenty of girth but I'm wishing I could just have some wiggle room on the treble side.

Someone mentioned maybe jumpering a 1n cap across hot lugs of sustain or vom pot. Will try that tonight with gator clips.

Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:48 am 
Site Admin

If you're tone knob isn't behaving like a typical BMP, then perhaps there's something wrong with it. But assuming there isn't, reducing the values of C2, 5 and 8 are the only ways to add treble. Adding a bypass cap across lugs 2 & 3 of the sustain or volume pot will let some treble through, but will only really have any effect when you have the knob very low and you probably won't even notice it. You can play with the tone control capacitors, but you can only effect the intersecting cut off frequencies of the high and low pass filters, i.e. the midrange. You can't add more treble. Whatever you've got when you have the tone knob full turn CW, is max treble. That shouldn't change between flat, scoop, or hump modes.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:26 am 

Are we talking about the build we've been troubleshooting with you in this thread? If so, I've put the component side of the board below so that people with more time right now can check placement. Although it bears mentioning that film capacitor placement is very difficult for us to check in a 2D photo.

(If this is still a troubleshooting issue, we should probably merge the threads to keep it continuous.)

My band, Austin Hollow