Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm 

I hope I can post this question here, if not, the mods can delete. I purchased an A/B/Y pedal and the pedal works fine, however, it doesn't work like I was hoping and I'm wondering if I can mod it to work the way I want. The pedal does not have a PCB, it's wired point to point.

This is my situation, I have a Hamer Duotone guitar, with humbucker pickups and an under saddle Piezo pickup, 2 input jacks (electric and acoustic). I have a Y guitar cable that has a TRS plug on the single end and 2 TS plugs on the Y, marked "tip" and "ring". When I plug the guitar in with this cable to the ABY box and then hook up 2 amps (electric and acoustic) I'm getting sound from both amps but it is only the Humbuckers OR Piezo not both. Can I modify the ABY box with a stereo input jack for the guitar instead of the mono jack that I believe is installed? If so, can you tell me how to wire it?

Thanks in advance for considering.

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:45 pm 

The reason that the guitar and cord have a stereo output is that you can't just wire magnetic and piezo pickups in parallel without some electronics between to combine them, they won't work that way. And you want to always send the piezo signal to one amp (or amp channel), and the magnetic pickup to the other amp, never swapping or combining, right?

If I understand what you need, you could change the input jack to a stereo input jack and use a TRS-to-TRS cable from guitar to box. Then you could easily change the footswitch wiring so that you have one footswitch for piezo pickup on/off and one for magnetic pickup on/off. That's not quite A/B/Y but gives you the same options in a different way, suitable for a stereo guitar. Would that work?