Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: help with a delay pedal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:18 pm 

i hate to post this on here since its a pcb from another aite but im not getting any help from the forums over there.
got a dirt baby delay from madbean. assembled it. had no volume to it. i could barely hear anything come from the pedal. checked all resistors and 2 that are supposed to 100k are reading about 50k. one ic was reading way off, i ended up only soldering one of the pins on the socket haha so i took out the ic soldered the pins, voltages read fine after that. now there is still very little volume coming out of this pedal, from what i can hear its working fine. when turning feedback knob all the way up it gets real loud with the oscillation. i measured the level(vol) and its reading fine. any suggestions?

https://imgur.com/gallery/DTev3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:38 pm 

The fact that the pedal seems to function properly except for lacking output volume sounds to me like either a misplaced resistor (it's s-o-o-o easy to switch a 100K resistor with a 100 ohm!) or a bad solder joint somewhere. So the first thing I would do is check the color band coding on EVERY resistor vs. the layout in the instructions. Keep in mind that you can't get a reliable resistance reading on a resistor that is installed in the circuit due to the possibility of parallel circuit paths.

If you don't find anything with that, my next step would be this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:38 pm 

dang lol, every resistor read right beaides those 2 so i was hoping i was in the clear haha. alrighlty, ill check the color codes. reflow everything once more. then ill have to buy an audio probe if all of that fails :/ thanks man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 pm 

I just cross-checked the resistor codes from your photos against the Dirtbaby BOM and they all look correct.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 pm 

dang dude you didnt have to do that. thank you though. i aprreciate it. i was gonna take it to work with me tomorrow lol. looks like it onto reflowing then the audio probe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:13 pm 

its been awhile. i did revisit this pedal. reflowed eveything, still nothing. i order the test probe and also some thing things to build a testing rig with audi probe included. should have that built and working on the pedal as early as next weekend. im teally curious to see where the signal is dropping dead at since all my voltages are correct and wverything ia in the right place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:03 pm 

so i got my audio plug. i go to the first resistor r2 sound going in and nothing coming out of it. is it really this resistor?
redid some ic voltage readings im only going to list the bad ones.
pt2399
#7- 1.73v
#8-4.21v

ic#4
pin#3-1.95v