Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dual Pedals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm 

Anybody here that can shed some light? I’ve been thinking about putting two pedals in a single enclosure. Am I correct in saying that you would just wire the out of one board to the in of the other? Also, how could I power both boards without having two power adapters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Dual Pedals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you would be correct in assuming that....if you want your pedals in series. For example if you want a reverb and overdrive in one box, and you want the overdrive to come first and the reverb to come second; you would wire the output of the overdrive to the input of the reverb. but most people would use two footswitches so you can turn them off independently. So for that you would wire both up as you want two separate normal pedals, but instead of connecting the wire from the footswitch of the first pedal to the output jack, you'd connect it to the footswitch of the second pedal, replacing the connection of the second pedal to its respective input jack. This is called wiring in series.

As far as wiring the power, it's very simply. Its absolutely no different than using a daisy chain to power a bunch of different pedals. But instead of having a bunch of external jacks and plugs, you just hardwire it internally. This is called wiring in parallel.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject: Re: Dual Pedals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:32 pm 

Aus10 wrote:
I’ve been thinking about putting two pedals in a single enclosure. Am I correct in saying that you would just wire the out of one board to the in of the other? Also, how could I power both boards without having two power adapters?

Yes, that's basically correct. Though I would go with separate footswitches, so that you can run either or both together. So in that case, you'd wire the output from one footswitch to the input for the other. Or you can get really fancy and use Stephen's flipper switch together with the two footswitches so that you can change the order of the two effects. You can see how that works here (the second diagram): viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17245

You might be interested in a dual-effect build that I did a while back that incorporates these same switching features. See it here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22063

And, yes, you could run both circuits off one common power source, assuming that the combination didn't draw more power than the adapter is rated to supply. And unless you're running digital effects that require a lot of juice, that's pretty unlikely.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2