Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Quiter Opamp than LM741?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:25 am 

I kinda want to build a MXR distortion+/DOD 250 but I'm reading that the LM741 opamp is noisy. Is there a quieter/better opamp to use?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 am 
Site Admin

Better is a matter of opinion when it comes to distortion op amps because you actually want distortion. This would be less subjective if you were asking about clean boosts. The 741 a good op amp for distortions. There are other op amps that are supposed to be low noise, but that really won't make any difference in this application. If you want less noise, the best thing to do would be to add extra power filtering.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:34 pm 

byoc wrote:
Better is a matter of opinion when it comes to distortion op amps because you actually want distortion. This would be less subjective if you were asking about clean boosts. The 741 a good op amp for distortions. There are other op amps that are supposed to be low noise, but that really won't make any difference in this application. If you want less noise, the best thing to do would be to add extra power filtering.

byoc is right, when you kick in the distortion, you won't be able to hear a difference between different op amps in a compressed type of distortion box like a MXR Dist+.

But if the price difference is something like $0.06 between the two, for me it sorta becomes 'why not?'. A lower noise op amp might have a little less background noise when you weren't playing, or maybe not. A good pin-compatible replacement for a LM741 would be a TL071. And if you're able to change the circuit layout around to use half of a dual op amp, you'd have more options.

I'm currently working on a bass overdrive with several different clipping options and for some of them I'm looking for basically a clean drive at a light playing level where it only overdrives when you really dig in on some notes, or for example on the chorus. So there I'm going to upgrade from a TL072 (dual version of the TL071) to a NE5532A, which is used in a lot of pro mixing consoles, and which cost a whopping $0.21 more. The Grayhill rotary switch is $16.12, ouch, so what's a few more centavos on the semis...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 am 

Lakland197 wrote:
byoc wrote:

byoc is right, when you kick in the distortion, you won't be able to hear a difference between different op amps in a compressed type of distortion box like a MXR Dist+.

But if the price difference is something like $0.06 between the two, for me it sorta becomes 'why not?'. A lower noise op amp might have a little less background noise when you weren't playing, or maybe not. A good pin-compatible replacement for a LM741 would be a TL071. And if you're able to change the circuit layout around to use half of a dual op amp, you'd have more options.

I'm currently working on a bass overdrive with several different clipping options and for some of them I'm looking for basically a clean drive at a light playing level where it only overdrives when you really dig in on some notes, or for example on the chorus. So there I'm going to upgrade from a TL072 (dual version of the TL071) to a NE5532A, which is used in a lot of pro mixing consoles, and which cost a whopping $0.21 more. The Grayhill rotary switch is $16.12, ouch, so what's a few more centavos on the semis...

LOL Yeah I see what your saying. I'll probably just stick with the LM741. If I go with a dual op, may as well get the 4558 and make a tube screamer sense the schematic of a MXR Distortion + is basically the same as the distortion stage of a tube screamer without Buffers.