Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:45 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a ESV 2 knob bender. Following the advice of someone whose opinion and experience I highly respect, I made a few tweaks- one being a .01 uf paper in oil cap in place of the 1M resistor in R1 and the second being an external bias pot instead of the trimmer. I had a little trouble wiring the bias pot, but finally got it working. I'm not sure if it's hooked up properly but the pedal does work. When I adjust the bias pot, it significantly affects the output level. Is that normal?

you can see in the pic that there's solder on all 5 pads where the trimmer goes. That's because I initially had the pot hooked up to the center and 2 farthest pads, but when that didn't work, I just clipped the wires from the pcb, retinned, and moved them to the 2 closer pads. I don't quite understand how that all works but hoping someone can help me out. Thanks in advance

Last edited by murkofaeons on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:02 pm 

Can't see the image. Probably not a publicly accessible file address. Suggest that you post it as an attachment--see forum attachment function just below the test editing box & Options check list.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:51 am 

Sorry about the image. I just spent the last hour and a half trying links from various places and none of them will display. Image hosting used to be so easy but I don't know what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:51 am 

murkofaeons wrote:
Sorry about the image. I just spent the last hour and a half trying links from various places and none of them will display. Image hosting used to be so easy but I don't know what happened.

You can attach images to your post right here in the forum, no need to host them elsewhere. Right below the "Submit" button, you should see a field where you can upload an attachment. Let us know if you can't get it to work, and we'll walk you through it in full detail.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:14 am 
Site Admin

That is normal. The smoother, more compressed and sustaining you make it, the quieter it will get. The rougher and more gated you make it, the louder it will get.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:14 pm 

Finally got a resized photo that will attach

Attachments:
IMG_20180903_105736_311.jpg
IMG_20180903_105736_311.jpg [ 131.39 KiB | Viewed 3984 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:15 am 

A few thoughts:

1. I would definitely trust Keith (byoc) when he says it's operating as expected.

2. It's always a good idea to get a pedal working in its stock form before implementing mods. Then you know what the baseline is. (Do I take my own advice on this? Never!)

3. One of the legs of Q2 looks like it might be at risk of making contact with the leads on your paper in oil cap. It's possibly a trick of the perspective, but you might consider insulating that with a piece of heat shrink tubing or a bit of stripped off wire insulation.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:44 am 

Can we see pix of the bias pot and it’s connections? The mod should have worked regardless of which of the trim pot’s solder pads you used. The two further spaced pads are connected directly to the two closer spaced pads.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Stephen wrote:
Can we see pix of the bias pot and it’s connections? The mod should have worked regardless of which of the trim pot’s solder pads you used. The two further spaced pads are connected directly to the two closer spaced pads.

Yes, it's odd that you would use all 5 of the pads for the trimpot.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm 

byoc wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Yes, it's odd that you would use all 5 of the pads for the trimpot.

I didn't use all 5. I changed which pads I used but just clipped the wires instead of unsoldering. I can open it up later and show the actual connections. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:35 am 

The fact that you tried all 5 solder pads isn’t the point. You said you used the wider spaced pair of solder pads first and then tried the closer spaced pair. The modification should have worked regardless of which pair of solder pads you used. You could have used one close spaced pad and one wider spaced pad and it should have worked. The fact that the first set didn’t work and the second did doesn’t add up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:15 pm 

This is the best picture I can offer of how the bias pot is wired. Along with other mistakes I made in this build, i cross-threaded the nut on that pot so I will not be opening it back up to take pictures. The attached pic is before I rewired it.

The problem was likely my soldering. This was the first pedal I had built in probably 5 years and I was pretty rusty. By the end of the build, I was feeling more confident in my soldering skills again. The only way to get better is to practice so I'm hoping to build lots more pedals and projects in the near future. I'm hoping to learn stuff on here and I'm definitely not trying to show off. I appreciate all your feedback and patience with me. Thanks

Attachments:
IMG_20180906_171105_283.jpg
IMG_20180906_171105_283.jpg [ 557.51 KiB | Viewed 3934 times ]