Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Solder Tip?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:10 pm 

Hey all,

I've been working on my first build. I'd give my soldering skills a 3 out of 10 when I started and by the time I had all the resistors, diodes and capacitors on, I'd give myself 6. But when I got to soldering to the foot switch lugs and to the input and output jacks I was really struggling with the solder making the connection. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Solder Tip?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:14 pm 

chrisr wrote:
Hey all,

I've been working on my first build. I'd give my soldering skills a 3 out of 10 when I started and by the time I had all the resistors, diodes and capacitors on, I'd give myself 6. But when I got to soldering to the foot switch lugs and to the input and output jacks I was really struggling with the solder making the connection. Any ideas?

Thanks.

What kind of iron you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 pm 

Using a variable heat Weller with the temp around 350 degrees. I've had no problems with any other joints. Just the foot switch lugs and the input/output jacks. I've also been tinning the wires before hand.

Maybe I need to use different solder. Currently using no clean, 22 gauge Sn60/Pb40. Also, as I'm typing this, I'm realizing I was using the small tip on the iron because that's what I needed for PCB joints. I didn't change to a bigger tip. I wonder if I need to use a bigger tip because the surface areas are bigger and perhaps they are not getting hot enough to hold the solder?

appreciate any advice/ideas.

c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:01 pm 

Are you using a pencil (conical) tip or chisel tip on the iron?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:14 am 

chrisr wrote:
Using a variable heat Weller with the temp around 350 degrees. I've had no problems with any other joints. Just the foot switch lugs and the input/output jacks. I've also been tinning the wires before hand.

I have my iron set to 750°F and I use a smaller chisel tip—they transfer heat more effectively than conical points. At this point I'd only use a conical tip for SMD work.

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:10 am 

Frag Magnet wrote:
chrisr wrote:

I have my iron set to 750°F and I use a smaller chisel tip—they transfer heat more effectively than conical points. At this point I'd only use a conical tip for SMD work.

+1 to this. I assume you're working at 350°C, which works out to 662°F. That should be hot enough, but you can go a bit hotter as long as you don't leave the tip on the solder lugs too long. The plastic housing can melt around them if you do that.

I'd also make sure you're cleaning and tinning the tip of the iron between each joint. Wipe the tip against a damp sponge or even paper towel to get it clean—one that's on your table, not in your hands! Then apply a little bit of solder to the tip before going on to your next joint.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:17 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Frag Magnet wrote:

+1 to this. I assume you're working at 350°C, which works out to 662°F. That should be hot enough, but you can go a bit hotter as long as you don't leave the tip on the solder lugs too long.

I prefer chisel tips as well. I use a small one (~1/16" tip width) for pedal work, and a larger one (~1/8" width) for amp stuff and for soldering wires to the back of control pots in guitars, where you need more thermal mass to heat up a larger substrate. My Hakko soldering station is permanently set to 700 deg. F and I use Kester rosin-core 63/37 tin-lead solder--0.031" diam. for pedal work and 0.062" for amps and other larger soldering jobs. And as Scott has pointed out, a clean and well-tinned tip is critically important for efficient heat transfer.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 am 

Thanks, all!