Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:03 pm 

Hey folks,I was wondering if somebody can answer this one for me. I recently re-housed a Dunlop JH2 into a smaller enclosure. I got rid of the tone control as it was always pegged anyway. The pedal only sounds good when the fuzz knob is cranked all the way. Problem is, it's WAY to loud. Is it possible to add a volume control before the output so I can run it wide open, but turn the volume down before it leaves the pedal ?? Also, how would I go about that and what value pot would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for any help !!
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:06 pm 

Should be very easy. Disconnect the wire that's connected to the tip of the output jack and solder it instead to lug 3 of an audio taper potentiometer. (The pot will act as a voltage divider, so the resistance value doesn't really matter much. I'd recommend an A100K pot, as these are commonly used for this purpose.) Solder lug 1 to a grounded point in the pedal (the sleeve of either I/O jack will do nicely) and lug 2 to the tip of the output jack. Done.

BTW, all the JHJ-2 Fuzzfaces I've seen have a volume pot but no tone control (see image below). How is it that yours had a tone and no volume??

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:18 pm 

WOW, thanks for the quick response !!! I was totally wrong on the controls !! So sorry for the confusion....I feel like a bonehead now !!...It's been a while ! Looks like I ditched the volume control and just have the fuzz....i'm going to try what you suggest. basically I should have left it alone !! :P

THANK YOU !!!!

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:50 am 
Site Admin

The fuzz face already has a voltage divide volume control at the end. So maybe you actually got rid of the volume knob.

And most people would agree that the fuzz knob is pretty useless. Most people crank the fuzz knob and use the guitar's volume knob as the real "fuzz" knob.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com