Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:20 pm 

amazing thread. i learned a lot of techniques i didnt know before :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:51 am 

politesociety wrote:
p.s. I got myself a [solder sucker] after the "de-soldering braid" that the girl at Radio Shack recommended left a mountain of residue on my PCB! :wink:

It shouldn't be the braid leaving residue - it's either left over solder (silver) or if it's the brown stuff it's just cooked rosin flux. That'll scrape right off, and can be cleaned up with some isopropyl alcohol. I haven't had any issues with the boards that have cooked flux on them, but as a personal rule now I like to clean them up before wiring them into an enclosure.

I will admit - braid has become my favorite method of de-soldering. I've tried the braid initially, then the bulb, the pump, and most recently the combination pump/iron (it does the heating for you so you don't have to try and hold onto an iron and operate the pump at the same time). The last one works great. For like one or two de-solders. Then the tip starts to get all plugged up with solder that no matter how many times you blow it out, it won't let go of. So I got fed up and started using the braid again, and with practice it's really (for me) the most effective and easiest method of de-soldering. Unless you're trying to get solder out of a through hole that has no component lead in it - then the heat up and tap on hte table method works wonders. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:25 am 

First off I'd like to thank you Stephen, for providing a service that is both inspiring and succinct. I was wondering...I got some of the shrink tubing, and was wondering if you applied heat for this particular operation; I picked up a heat gun at Lowes because that's what they suggested. It is the lowest temp one they had, and it has two settings 750 and 1000 degrees. Is this too much? The gun is pictured as being used to burn paint off of houses. I can still return it if it isn't useful, but the more I think of it the more I think it may cause melting in all the wrong places! How about close proximity to a 100 watt light bulb? Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:35 pm 

This is the only heat gun I've ever used on heat shrink tubing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:34 pm 

I use this.

Not because I have to. Stephen's method works great.

I just like being able to pin point a noisey blue flame! :lol: :lol:

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORCHES/MICROMINITORCHES/tabid/251/ctl/Detail/mid/1260/xmid/6950/xmfid/3/Default.aspx

Frag Magnet wrote:

BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 pm 

Excelent thread! There are many useful tips and instructions. I am "NASA Flight Hardware Soldering and Electrical Assembly" certified,
and would like to add just a few simple thoughts on what I've learned through 20+ years of soldering:

Solder follows heat.

In other words, when the solder melts, it will always seek, or flow towards the source of heat. Think of how this will help you... I want a solder joint to be evenly filled (think skinny Hershey kiss). The best method is to place the iron's tip on the opposite side of the joint from where you add solder from. I know this might sound like common sense, but you might be surprised how many people place the iron at 3 o'clock, and the solder at 6 o'clock. Incomplete soldering creates cold joints. :(

Also, place the iron tip so that it touches both the leg/wire, and the PCB socket or eyelet, with a little more contact with the larger metal area of the two (takes longer to heat). When the right amount of heat has been applied, a very brief touch of solder is all it takes (unless the surface area or lead is large). Most people apply heat for too long, as well as add too much solder. Lightly tinning the iron before touching it to a part is a must!

I hope this helps! :)
-Doug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 am 

Here are a few photos showing one example of poor wire dressing.

I see this a lot. A new builder will hook up some wires to a resistor and leave the leads at full length. Often times the builder will leave it just as you see it in the photo with the leads exposed. This is a short circuit risk and a major no no. I tried to make some cold solder joints for this photo but I just couldn't do it. Oh well... what can you do? LOL
Attachment:
p001.jpg
p001.jpg [ 78.18 KiB | Viewed 20986 times ]

Here's the correct way to do it.

I start by stripping off a small section of the wire's insulation. I only take off 3/16" to 1/4" of insulation. I then twist the bare wire strands together and then tin them so there are no stray strands sticking out anywhere. I then make a bend in the resistor's lead close to the body of the resistor. You don't need to keep the entire lead .
Attachment:
p002.jpg
p002.jpg [ 73.15 KiB | Viewed 20985 times ]

Next I make a good mechanical connection between the wire and the resistor's lead by crimping the wire onto the lead.
Attachment:
p003.jpg
p003.jpg [ 77.82 KiB | Viewed 20984 times ]

The two pieces are now soldered.
Attachment:
p004.jpg
p004.jpg [ 82.4 KiB | Viewed 20985 times ]

Finally, and most importantly, insulate the connection with heat shrink tubing. If you don't have any tubing electrical tape will work too. It just won't look as good.
Attachment:
p005.jpg
p005.jpg [ 75.48 KiB | Viewed 20984 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:19 am 

Is it okay to fully cover up the resistor? I have been covering the wires on both sides right up to the resistor, thinking the resistor had to be exposed for heat disappation or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:42 am 

It's perfectly OK to cover the resistor. These are not power resistors that dissipate a lot of heat so there's nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:14 pm 

Stephen wrote:
It's perfectly OK to cover the resistor. These are not power resistors that dissipate a lot of heat so there's nothing to worry about.

Ok. Thanks man! that will make it much easier to do one shrinky dink over the whole thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:14 pm 

hey, great thread. I've refrenced before almost all of my builds.
I was wondering if anyone has any nice secrets on soldering the legs of an LED to wire?
Mine always look messy and seem very haphazard. I've never actually had a problem, but in my new build I'm going for a good looking neat wiring job, and I'm nervous of the potential uglyness of my led wiring.
thanks alot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 am 

I just wanted to post some photos of what the stomp switch's header soldering should look like when you're done. These are very tightly spaced eyelets that require some care when soldering so you don't bridge any of them together.
Attachment:
p001.jpg
p001.jpg [ 71.15 KiB | Viewed 20979 times ]

Attachment:
p002.jpg
p002.jpg [ 62.38 KiB | Viewed 20975 times ]

Here's a shot of the header PCB with the stomp switch added. Notice how the PCB is flat against the stomp switch. To make sure yours comes out like this solder one of the corner eyelets first. Once you've done that inspect the switch and PCB and make sure that they are flat against each other. If they are not allow a few moments for the solder joint to cool before going on. If the PCB and bottom of the switch are not parallel squeeze the two together and re-heat the solder joint. When the solder melts the two pieces will compress together. Allow the solder to cool just a bit before you release the pressure holding the two parts together. Once the PCB and switch are flat against each other solder the opposite corner eyelet to keep the two pieces square. Now solder the remaining eyelets starting in the center and moving outward from there. After you solder one eyelet allow it to cool before soldering the next. Do this same procedure with the two header pieces. This will help to ensure that all the parts are square when you put everything together.
Attachment:
p003.jpg
p003.jpg [ 59.88 KiB | Viewed 20977 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:50 am 

Here's what I like to do with pots that have two of it's lugs shorted together. It doesn't really apply to any of the BYOC kits. It's just a technique I use in my own builds. This way you only have 2 wires to run to the PCB instead of 3. It also helps to keep things looking neat. I start by taking a clipped off component lead and bending it to look like this.
Attachment:
p001.jpg
p001.jpg [ 66.66 KiB | Viewed 20973 times ]

Then I insert the bent lead into the eyelets that will be shorted together. Start by placing the short bend in the center eyelet. Make sure that the short bend isn't so long that it sticks thru the other side. You don't want it to make contact with the pot's casing. It only needs to make contact with the eyelet.
Attachment:
p002.jpg
p002.jpg [ 74.38 KiB | Viewed 20974 times ]

Once you have the lead positioned solder it in place and clip off the long bend.
Attachment:
p003.jpg
p003.jpg [ 72.52 KiB | Viewed 20972 times ]

Make sure that the jumper and the solder joint keep a low profile. You don't want either to short out against the enclosure's wall when you install them.
Attachment:
p004.jpg
p004.jpg [ 61.35 KiB | Viewed 21108 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:27 pm 

Stephen,

Thanks for putting this up. I must look at this thread at least twice a month to remind myself how I should be doing things!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:48 am 

Once you've soldered a resistor to the circuit board, what can use use to cut off the remaining component leads on the backside?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:11 am 

You do really nice work, Stephen. I'd like to see some gut shots of complete builds, if you have any. I love seeing neet electronics.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:40 am 

This is a photo of the soldered jumper from lug 3 to lug 6 of a 3PDT stomp switch. I noticed a lot of people using a wire that's an inch or longer for this connection. If you use a small piece of clipped component lead you can make your build look a lot neater. The same goes for the jumper from lug 4 to lug 9. Note the amount of solder used and how it has an almost liquid look to it. If yours looks dull and like a blob you're using too much solder and are probably getting poor heat transfer from the iron to the lug/jumper. This results in cold solder joints that either don't work at all or have intermittent continuity that will eventually fail all together.
Attachment:
p001.jpg
p001.jpg [ 61.51 KiB | Viewed 20955 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:39 pm 

how do you apply those heat shrink tubes around the wires?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:13 pm 

Are you referring to the insulator around the jumper in the stomp switch photo above? If so that isn't heat shrink tubing. It's a piece of component lead inside a small section of wire insulation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:38 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I had a lot of trouble with the wiring on my first pedal. Now I'm on to the second. I hope this will make it easier. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:47 am 

I see so many builds here on the forum where people have wires 2 or 3 inches long to connect the jacks and stomp switch to the PCB. IMO this mass of spaghetti looks terrible. What I do to make much cleaner looking connections is solder much shorter wires on the top side of the PCB. I install the jacks and stomp switch and the fully assembled PCB into the enclosure. Then I use solid core wire I get from Rat Shack to make the connections. I cut them close to length and thru a little trial and error I trim them down so that maybe 1/8" of the bare wire protrudes thru to the other side of the PCB ensuring that they cannot create a short circuit beneath the PCB anywhere. Since the BYOC PCBs have plated thru holes you can do the soldering on either side of the PCB. As you can see in the top photo I even use this method to make connections to the adapter jack.

If you are an inexperienced builder I would recommend checking to make sure your build works prior to making these final connections. Otherwise it's gonna be a PITA to un-do them so you can remove the PCB to do any trouble shooting.
Attachment:
p001.jpg
p001.jpg [ 85.85 KiB | Viewed 20955 times ]

Attachment:
p002.jpg
p002.jpg [ 91.57 KiB | Viewed 20954 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:00 am 

Here's a tip for those of you that are new to using a DMM. When measuring the value of a resistor do not allow your finger tips to be in contact with the ends of the probes. What ends up happening is that you measure the resistor in parallel with the resistance of your body.

Here's my DMM connected to a 1M resistor. The display shows that it measures 995K ohms.
Attachment:
p001.jpg
p001.jpg [ 68.96 KiB | Viewed 20952 times ]

Here's the same resistor with me holding onto the probe ends. The same 1M resistor now only measures 556K ohms.
Attachment:
p002.jpg
p002.jpg [ 67.48 KiB | Viewed 20952 times ]

Lower value resistors don't change much because they have a lower resistance than your body. The higher the resistance the more likely it is you will get a false reading if your body is in contact with the probes. Experiment with different value resistors to see what I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:19 pm 

Hi Stephen, great thread. I'm just working on my first build, a Leeds Fuzz, and I have a couple questions out of the gate. I feel like I've read conflicting answers on this board. Probably I'm not looking at the right thread, and it's all covered somewhere. Anyway, here goes:

Some people advocate populating the entire circuit board and testing it (unsoldered) before soldering anything. I imagine having a ton of loose, long component leads waving everywhere would cause enough shorts to make this an unreliable method of troubleshooting. Is this really the best way to go, or should I solder as I go, or do something in between?

Should I solder before or after trimming the component leads? Some say trimming a soldered lead could lead to cracking.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:39 am 

kidatonal wrote:
Hi Stephen, great thread. I'm just working on my first build, a Leeds Fuzz, and I have a couple questions out of the gate. I feel like I've read conflicting answers on this board. Probably I'm not looking at the right thread, and it's all covered somewhere. Anyway, here goes:

Some people advocate populating the entire circuit board and testing it (unsoldered) before soldering anything. I imagine having a ton of loose, long component leads waving everywhere would cause enough shorts to make this an unreliable method of troubleshooting. Is this really the best way to go, or should I solder as I go, or do something in between?

Should I solder before or after trimming the component leads? Some say trimming a soldered lead could lead to cracking.

Thanks!

On the first, I would imagine what you're seeing people talking about is populating the entire board with all the components (including soldering them in place) and testing it for continuity before soldering in the wiring. When we refer to a 'populated' board it means all components soldered in place.

On the second, no matter what you do, you'll have to trim after soldering (unless you have great foresight and know exactly how short to trim a lead so that you'll be left with the hershey kiss shape when it's soldered...). To avoid cracking - trim down to the joint, and don't trim the joint itself. You should see the nice little hershey kiss shape when it's done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:18 am 

thanks for clarifying, tone.