Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:59 am 

godspeed wrote:
I'm a rookie at this and still having some trouble with my first build... but that's another issue.
Anyway, i'm just trying to understand all this cause i don't like to create something without really understanding it.

In my head a 3PDT switch has each column independent from each other, that is, Lugs 1,2,3 independent from lugs 4,5,6 and lugs 7,8,9. I concluded this from the fact that are needed jumpers between different columns of lugs. If this is true does the signal flow free between each column (that is, between lugs 1,2 and 3, between lugs 4,5,6 and between lugs 7,8,9) ???

Oh, and only after writting the things above i understood this.

On a DPDT or 3PDT stomp switch the columns are isolated from each other. For a dual throw switch there are two columns of lugs (3 for a 3PDT). The center lug is called the Pole. The lug above and the lug below the Pole are the Throws.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 pm 

I think this would be a good place to talk about pull down resistors and explain what they do, where they go in the circuit, and why they work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:05 pm 

nonameputs wrote:
I think this would be a good place to talk about pull down resistors and explain what they do, where they go in the circuit, and why they work.

Here's my amateur view of the pull-dwon resistor. It's a high value resistor (usually 1Mohm), in between the jack and the switch, to eliminate switch pops. Switch pops commonly come from stored charge that remains in capacitors being released suddenly when a True (mechanical) Bypass circuit is engaged into the signal path - the stored charge releasing quickly causes noise, amplified to a loud pop by your amp. The pull down resistor slows the release of that stored charge, thereby eliminating the pop.

Please, someone with a better working understanding of electrons, verify my amateur views :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 pm 

I've got two slider switches that looks like this:

(Sorry, if my MS Paint skills offends anyone :wink: )
What would be the name of such switches?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:12 pm 

Coma wrote:
Thanks a lot!

What's the difference between your 3PDT diagram and the one used at General Guitar Gadgets site

Example http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bsiab2_lo.pdf

Very helpful thread to me. I see that the ggg switches are wired :
6 3 9
5 2 8
4 1 7

Concerning the grounding question in the next post on page 1, where the answer is : "The pedal's chassis is ground. The ground lead from the battery is switched so that the battery ground gets disconnected when a plug is in the input jack."....
Can you explain exactly how this works(how the ground lead from the battery is switched ) on the ggg diagram? I'm trying to follow leads but I just don't get it...it may be a relationship between the input plug, ring, tip, sleeve that I don't understand..I guess I don't get how the battery is grounded at that point when a plug is inserted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:58 pm 

Light bulb moment. Got it! I think... wouldn't it be " The ground lead from the battery is switched so that the battery ground gets connected when a plug is in the input jack."...., as opposed to "disconnected"? Please forgive me as I mean no disrespect to the vast knowledge on this board that is much greater than mine..