Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:32 pm 

JohnL wrote:
koaman wrote:
I posted this question in the DIY discussion forum and nobody replied, so maybe this is a better place to ask it. I'm looking for a decent DMM, either used or new. I'm not looking for the cheapest, but I don't need to have the best and most expensive one either. Just a DMM that's reliable and a good value. Any recommendations?

So, tagging onto this question has anyone tried the meters from Futurlec?

http://futurlec.com/Multimeters.shtml

They have some for very little money that read transistors and capacitance. I have a decent DMM for everything but those two tests and am curious if they are any good?

What!?! How do they get those prices? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 pm 

Harbor freight sells that same thing, in RED, for $3.99. No one I know has gotten the tranny tester to work.

Frag Magnet wrote:

BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 pm 

Kinda weird but works great for cleaning up leads gets in nice and close and cuts them off without much movement on the soldered joints.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:00 am 

dcountry13 wrote:
2x6L6 wrote:
Styrofoam organizer:

Static will kill a lot of mosfet transistors etc.
Ever notice how styrofoam is supper static prone?!
Zzzzzzt!
EDIT: Oops already been said.

Work well for sorting resistors and diodes though.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:00 pm 

JJGross wrote:

These list around $40, Harbor Freight has them for a little over half that & I got mine on sale there last year for something like $15. It's the single most used tool I have for effect building. I use it more than my soldering gun.

- JJ

I got a pair similar to these that were Bausch and Lomb. They came with 3 lenses and list for around $40, but you can get them for free.

I got them for free by signing up for an Amazon Credit card that has a $40 credit on your first purchase, so I signed up. Well, they were almost free...I had to pay around $5 for shipping. These things are well worth the investment even if they are not free.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:43 am 

Just used a crest spin brush dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean all gunk off my soldering joints. Someone kindly pointed out that it looked like someone sneezed on my board so I figured I'd give it a shot. It worked awesome. Try it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:33 pm 

KBC wrote:
Just used a crest spin brush dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean all gunk off my soldering joints. Someone kindly pointed out that it looked like someone sneezed on my board so I figured I'd give it a shot. It worked awesome. Try it.

Haha - that was me! :mrgreen: Glad it worked! For some reason a toothbrush with alcohol to clean off a board has eluded me. A spinbrush - now you're talkin!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 pm 

Ya I wasn't going to name any names but... Now all I have to do is figure out how to get that pedal working.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:16 pm 

For drilling enclosures, I've started to really like Dewalt's Pilot Point bits. They have a smaller tip at the beginning so you don't need to drill a pilot hole. Even the 1/2" bit can fit in a 3/8" chuck. They also cut cleaner than the step bits. They're a bit more expensive than a standard bit, but they're worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:24 pm 

Get a set of helping hands......with or without a magnifier. Very useful when soldering. Also, a decent size vice has innumerable applications....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:28 am 

Dragonfly wrote:
Yep..I use mine for every build !

Another NECESSITY...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-7960

I saw your post, ordered one, and just received it today. I fired up the soldering iron so I could give it a try. It looks like it's going to work great!

I ordered mine from newark.com, as they had a 10% off code on their website the other day. It shipped from MCM Electronics though. I saved about $5 ordering from Newark instead, which basically paid for a pack of extra filters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:32 pm 

I went out to Harbor Freight today to get a few things. Since I don't have a pair of propper wire strippers, I decided to see what good ol' Harbor Freight had to offer. I came across these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-wir ... 36901.html

For $1.99, they do a pretty damn good job! Perfect for the DIYers, like me, who are on a budget! :wink:

Cheers, Image
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:22 pm 
One of the most useful tools I have is a probe with a flexible lead ending in an alligator clip. The body of the probe contains 2 x AA cells and a low voltage filament lightbulb. When you place a low resistance path between the probe point and the alligator clip the lightbulb lights up. This is by far the simplest and clearest way of indicating continuity. Not only can you use it to check things like switches and wire runs, but you can safely use it to test LEDs (yup LEDs - wrong way round and they aren't stressed with too high a voltage, the right way round both the LED and the lightbulb glow at a safe current and you know which lead on the LED is the anode), small motors, headphones and loudspeakers.

You used to able to find such probes in hardware stores. Mine is pretty old and I have repaired it several times.

Last edited by Tark on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 am 

Every time I go to the dentist (twice a year), I ask him if he has any old dental tools that he is disposing of. I have gotten several old picks, scrapers, etc. that are really helpful with removing solder, etc. And the price can't be beat!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:21 pm 

xFallen wrote:
Rip Shack is one of those last ditch places to find substandard junk, but now and then they have little gems. Check out these wire strippers. I have had mine for several years and they have withstood constant use and my blatant abuse.

They work great if you take the time to set them up properly and use them within their capabilities.

Linkage to product page in case the image doesn't show up.

Kronus Heavy-Duty Automatic Wire Stripper/Cutter Model: 64-2982

Barry

I've also had this for a few years, and it is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:45 am 

Holy cow; this is a great thread. I'm awaiting my first kits and in working through my practice kit I see where all this will help a lot. Adding a wire bridge is a bear, but the forceps, which I have from my EMT days, it is simple. I've found one of those little off-balance magnifier & clip PCB holders to be pretty decent to start, although I have to hold it up with my pinky on the solder hand, but that makes it kind of easy to move it slightly for better lighting. Thanks all for the great ideas!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:15 am 
If you run Linux there are some great software tools available for free!

I use the Jack / ALSA Audio Analyser - for a signal generator and wave analyser. With the white noise output you can easily plot filter frequency responses.
Oregano or LTSpice (LTSpice is Windows and I think Mac, but it runs fine on Linux under Wine) - Circuit simulation - brilliant - no more breadboarding, just try designs out in virtuality.
gEDA or KiCAD - schematics and PCB layout.
Xoscope - rudimentary oscilloscope.
LibreOffice Calc - spreadsheet prog - great for tabulating and plotting test results.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:31 pm 

This is not so much a tool as having the proper setting to work in. Not shown; shop area with drill press & others, paint station & oven in the garage, and the all critical vinyl station for uncompressed mood setting. I mean you make effects that cost more as a kit than the store bought versions and you're going to listen to 128 kbs mp3's?
I use the heat gun to help dry overcoats as any time in the toaster oven seems to brown the decals. The R2D2 thing is an air filter/fan, pulls in right at table level. I use one of those little clip grips with the magnifier, which is folded down to support the grip thing and use a $10 headgear with LED from Harbor Freight. My better iron fell apart so I use a $5 elenco iron which is a bit blunt but does the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm 

As always - Clickable Thumbs.

Frag Magnet wrote:

BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:46 pm 
Yup 3rd hand type jigs are very handy.

But how about insulated wire where the insulation doesn't run like candle wax if you even show it a soldering iron.
I scored some reels of government surplus, PTFE insulated, silver stranded wire many, many years ago and have been using it ever since. You do need special wire strippers to get the insulation off, but you can cook it all day with an iron and the insulation does not melt.

I bet builders would love BYOC even more if they could source some hook-up wire with insulation that does not melt quite so easily.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:05 am 

Jerronimo wrote:
This is not so much a tool as having the proper setting to work in. Not shown; shop area with drill press & others, paint station & oven in the garage, and the all critical vinyl station for uncompressed mood setting. I mean you make effects that cost more as a kit than the store bought versions and you're going to listen to 128 kbs mp3's?
I use the heat gun to help dry overcoats as any time in the toaster oven seems to brown the decals. The R2D2 thing is an air filter/fan, pulls in right at table level. I use one of those little clip grips with the magnifier, which is folded down to support the grip thing and use a $10 headgear with LED from Harbor Freight. My better iron fell apart so I use a $5 elenco iron which is a bit blunt but does the trick.

:shock:

What's in the egg cartons?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 pm 

Eggs, duh.

JRomero wrote:
I went out to Harbor Freight today to get a few things. Since I don't have a pair of propper wire strippers, I decided to see what good ol' Harbor Freight had to offer. I came across these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-wir ... 36901.html

For $1.99, they do a pretty damn good job! Perfect for the DIYers, like me, who are on a budget! :wink:

Cheers, Image
Jason

Just a heads up, I got a pair of those for my first wire strippers and they wear out incredibly quickly. Maybe mine were just junk, but it happened pretty damn quick for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 pm 
Personally I find those simple strippers are pretty horrible. They are a bit tricky to adjust for different wire sizes and tend to cut through wire strands as well as insulation. They go blunt then the pivot loosens and they get worse. That pair doesn't even seem to have a spring to hold them open so you'd have to open and close them with the fingers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:10 pm 

surprised no-one's mentioned a tool for desoldering...whether fixing a mistake or modding a stock part, I've found this tool to be essential

From radio shack

I've tried the braid, the stand-alone red pump, and a blue pump w/ spring mechanism (this works second best) but they all pale in comparison
Heat it up, pop this over the tiny lead, and suck that solder away

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:34 pm 

I'd have to say one of my favorite (and simplest tools) is a really good pair of multimeter leads. The set I used has a interchangeable tips. Using these things with the pogo pin tips makes troubleshooting a lot nicer as the tips are fine enough to get into tight spaces and the pogo hold contact for you without applying too much force.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next