Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 pm 

A buddy just linked me to that pedal, it sounds cool... but not 325$ cool.

Anyone have reversed engineered that?

http://chandlerlimited.com/germanium-drive/

Gearmandude clip:

Chandler clip, where the guy is in a climax describing it! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:07 pm 

There's also +9V and -9V power jacks, instead of using or bipolar charge pump setup to supply both polarity... and that black plastic box in the guts to hide the transistors used....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 am 

Yeah there is a black plastic/epoxy module hiding all the components used.

Chandler stuff is very high quality though.

People go nuts about there mic pre's and what not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:30 am 

sounds great! and I bet it's simple as hell. I'm calling a fairly high-Z BJT input buffer, BJT gain stage with diode clipping and switchable emitter resistors (and maybe some bypass caps) on the rotary, and possibly a fixed recovery stage/output buffer at the end. Caps on the toggles at the front and back ends. even if I'm wrong, you could totally make something that would do just the same thing with those components, guaranteed.

I suspect a different taper on the gain pot would give it more useful rotation range. think the extra-high price point will make them sell more, or fewer? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:37 am 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
sounds great! and I bet it's simple as hell. I'm calling a fairly high-Z BJT input buffer, BJT gain stage with diode clipping and switchable emitter resistors (and maybe some bypass caps) on the rotary, and possibly a fixed recovery stage/output buffer at the end. Caps on the toggles at the front and back ends. even if I'm wrong, you could totally make something that would do just the same thing with those components, guaranteed.

I suspect a different taper on the gain pot would give it more useful rotation range. think the extra-high price point will make them sell more, or fewer? :lol:

Sorry but how can any of this be guaranteed to emulate a pedal without having a clue what is in it, and without playing it :| ?

Chandler make really nice stuff, and the designer is somewhat of a wiz-kid with studio gear and design.

Most of his designs and products are raved over for their quality, design and sound.

Like this work of art:
Just look at the gutshot :shock: :

Well heeled guitarists and studio types will buy it, because he has a good, and well earned, reputation for very high quality gear.

I'm not trying to have a go Captain, I just think sometimes a lot of us DIY guys are too quick in criticising a lot of manufacturers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 am 

The Gearmandude demo makes it sound like a slightly under-biased fuzz of some kind to me. The Sweetwater demo was a bit better.

raulduke wrote:
Sorry but how can any of this be guaranteed to emulate a pedal without having a clue what is in it, and without playing it :| ?

He said it would "do the same thing", not be a 100% clone. Big difference.

If I were going to try to emulate that sound, I would put a treble booster with switchable input caps in front of a Fuzz Face, but I'd use a 5K pot for Gain or use a smaller emitter bypass cap on Q1 of the FF to keep it from getting too overloaded by the boost. Put the feedback resistor in the FF on a rotary. Stick a simple single-pole low pass in between the boost and FF and make the cap switchable. Maybe add a bias trimmer so that it can get a little hairy, if desired.

That would probably sound similar. Especially on a youtube video. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:57 am 

raulduke wrote:
I'm not trying to have a go Captain, I just think sometimes a lot of us DIY guys are too quick in criticising a lot of manufacturers.

not at all, Duke! In fact, right off the top,
CaptainPeyote wrote:
sounds great!

Not knocking the fine folks at Chandler at all. And you're right, I have NO IDEA what's inside the pretty green box. But I am quite sure that you could achieve a very similar range of sounds (at least to those in the second video, the one I watched) using the circuit architecture I described. Or any of a dozen other simple ways that don't require more than a handful of inexpensive components. There's no magic here, just engineering. Lets be real... in the world of engineering, guitar-focused analog audio products are pretty far down the food chain. Shit, most of the best-sounding pedals I've played are less complicated than my toaster :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 am 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
raulduke wrote:

not at all, Duke! In fact, right off the top,
CaptainPeyote wrote:
sounds great!

Not knocking the fine folks at Chandler at all. And you're right, I have NO IDEA what's inside the pretty green box. But I am quite sure that you could achieve a very similar range of sounds (at least to those in the second video, the one I watched) using the circuit architecture I described. Or any of a dozen other simple ways that don't require more than a handful of inexpensive components. There's no magic here, just engineering. Lets be real... in the world of engineering, guitar-focused analog audio products are pretty far down the food chain. Shit, most of the best-sounding pedals I've played are less complicated than my toaster :lol:

No worries dude.

Having a bad one yesterday so sorry if I cam across a bit snarky!

I agree as well that some of the best sounding pedals are the simplest in terms of design.

I agree that their stuff is expensive. I had my eyes set on one of their mic pre's (the little devil), but the cost of over a grand when you add it all up is just too much for me to stomach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:33 am 

Well, you snarky SOB... in the fine spirit of DIY, there's always this: http://www.audiomasterclass.com/the-fam ... ed-to-know

It's not a chandler, of course... but for the same price you could handle 200 channels, with a quality that beats one of these in a blind listening test :mrgreen:

oh, and for the record... one of the afore-mentioned "best-sounding pedals I've played" was your own layout of the RAH.