Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:57 pm 

Hey, I recently built the chorus 1.1 to bass specs. I'd like to get a bit more low end but I'm concerned about damaging the pedal. I've read a thread about adding a blend pot. Instead I took a chance and raised the 47k to 62k. Great blend but it's still thinning the sound a bit. If I take the .33uf lower than .01uf will it harm the cicuit?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:01 pm 

Build an eq pedal to put after it :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:29 pm 

As awesome as that would be, it's currently out of my budget. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:51 am 

There are no .33uf caps in the circuit. Do you mean one of the two .033uf caps (C4 or C12)? Typically when you want to allow more low end into a circuit you do so by increasing the value of a cap. Not by decreasing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:30 am 

Thanks. My bad on the typo. I'm speaking of C12. It's a little confusing because I was under the impression that increasing caps allows more bass (as you said). However the schematic tells me to lower C12 from .033uf to .01uf. Hence the confusion. I am quite green. I built it to regular specs first. When I did the mod it was definitely more bass friendly. I'm just looking for a bit more without ruining it , which would be a shame because I love the pedal. I appreciate the feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Admin

A chorus consists of two separate signal paths: the vibrato signal and your clean signal. I know it seems counter intuitive, but you actually want to cut low end from your vibrato signal. This is really the only difference between bass and guitar chorus. It gives a greater difference between your wet and dry signals which you need for the lower frequencies...a sort of crossover. That is why you use the smaller value cap for the bass mod.

Also, you typically want a little more dry signal mixed in for bass than on guitar. You can do this by changing the values of the mix resistors. If you want more low end, you would do this by trying to add it to your dry signal, not your wet signal. Adding more dry signal to your mix will make it sound like you have more low end. If that doesn't do the trick you can try increasing the value of the input capacitor.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com