Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Flanger LED won't quit
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:34 am 

I can't figure out where the short to ground is. I checked the switch, no short. I checked the 4x2 connector, no short. I checked the led itself, legs and pads, no short. Not sure where to go from here. The effect sounds great, but I want an on/off indicator!

Thanks in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:12 am 

The flanger uses the "millennium bypass" system to illuminatethe Led, so it's a bit different to the usual indicator system. Check the orientation of D4, Q5 and Q6 (and that Q6 is a BS170) They're quite electrostatically sensitive, and some BS170 just won't work in this application.

codtone.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:19 am 

Okay I thought it might have something to do with the bypass. So...rather than sending away for another another BS107, desoldering the bad one, risking the ICs and other components, can I just make this thing true bypass?

Assuming that's not an option, all the components are positioned correctly, so how would I go about testing to see which component failed in the first place?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:21 pm 

You can do that, but you loose the stereo out option. The LED issue is almost always caused by the bs170. I think it's easier to just replace that. Contact BYOC and they'll send you one for free.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:22 pm 

Also, just remove the chips from their sockets if you replace the transistor. Then you don't have to worry about them. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:34 am 

Thanks Morgan, I'll check with BYOC and see if I can't get another BS170. I guess as soon as I get the ICs installed, I want to forget them. I've had so many punk out on me that the less I touch them, the better. I know my fear is unfounded to a degree. Anyway, thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:49 pm 

Okay, I received 3 new BC170 trannies from BYOC. I replaced the one in the circuit and here's what it does. When the effect is not engaged, the light is on, but somewhat dim. When the effect is engaged, the light gets brighter. Any thoughts? Should I try ANOTHER BC170? I'm considering bypassing the buffer switch circuit. It's annoying me. :x

Post subject: Flanger LED won't quit
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 pm 

I would try another transistor, but at this point you also need to check out the other components in the led circuit - D4 and Q6. Make sure they are orientated properly and redo the solder joints.

This pedal does not have buffered bypass; it is stereo true bypass. To wire it the traditional way, you need to either ditch one o the outputs are install a 4PDT stomp switch, which won't fit into the pcb bonnet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:06 pm 

Honestly it sounds like it's shorting to ground.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm 

I had the same problem, effect worked fine but LED was always on. I swapped the BS170 for a new one and it worked, the LED turns both on and off.