Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:16 pm 

The final pedal for my latest pedal board is done and added :) That last pedal is the Crown Jewel, not only extremely versatile, but just superb sounding. It is a natural fit on this small pedal board where each pedal must punch above weight. The CJ does just that! Right now I have an 18v in the boost slot:

Attachment:
BoardWithCL-Small.png
BoardWithCL-Small.png [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 6315 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:30 pm 

When you're right, you're right, Mike! It's a fantastic overdrive & boost pedal! I use mine every day....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:39 pm 

This is a bit off-topic, but what do you use the boss dual foot switch for, and do you like it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:09 pm 

The MS-3 has a footswitch controller input which you can then program to do pretty much everything (tap tempo, turn on an effect, switch an amp channel, etc. etc.). In most patches, I have it controlling the NUX dual looper so I can switch between the Keeley Comp Plus and the CJ. The NUX is in Loop 1 of the MS-3 so in effect I can switch four loops instead of just three. Cool!

*EDIT* The NUX, Keeley and the Ojai power supply are on the under tier of the board. The upper tier where the CJ is flips up to reveal more goodness underneath. There are pics of it in the Open Discussion forum...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:00 pm 

Thanks for the reply.
I was a bit shocked to see you had it mounted vertically on your board.
I attempted to use one of those at work to trigger two different cameras independently. But even with it turned horizontally, every time I would step on it to trigger one camera, I would accidentally also trigger the other one as well...
You're clearly more nimble footed and less clumsy than I am!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:05 pm 

Nobody ever mistook me for nimble anything! :P I guess the slope of the thing is such that it just doesn't get in my way, or something...never had an issue with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:05 am 

I just logged on to the BYOC site for the first time in a while and saw the Crown Jewel. Looks like a great project and it sounds like folks are loving it. I will be ordering one for sure. I was scanning the build instructions and saw that the red clipping diodes (bottom left corner) look to be on the front of the board in the picture but the document itself says to solder them on the back. What have you guys done? Also looks like it's going to be interesting getting the guts in the enclosure. The OD 2 was tough. Should be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:26 am 

1949george wrote:
...What have you guys done?...

The back-side installation is for the Dry Blend Add-on: https://buildyourownclone.com/products/ ... lend-board The 3904, 1u film cap, and 47u electrolytic in that area should also be installed on the back-side when adding the dry blend board.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:29 am 

OK, so I have had some time with CJ, since I can't seem to stop playing. I have found that it definitely has it's own character when I'm not going for emulation of a certain sound. I like that character very much - I would describe it as big, with lots of frequency for shaping. There is something *weighty* about it that is hard to describe. It is particularly nice with my tele, or with my H-H strat with P-Rails. The P90 positions sound HUGE.

I have built and tested the Fuzz, the 18v boost, the 27v boost and the Mimosa. The octaver was missing some parts that I need to scrounge for and I still have the hard and soft clippers to build and test (note to forum members: I am a mod and got early versions of the kit. Your orders will not be missing parts!). I need to get the Ge boost and the Electra.

Some thoughts:

• The fuzz sounds really raunchy and thick, cleans up pretty well with the volume knob though it does have a tendency to sputter like this. I have adjusted the trim pot to where this is minimized, so that is not a problem. This module definitely gives you yet another flavor of dirt, and as a fuzz is fantastic.
  • The 18v is like a Katana clone, I think. On my other board, I have a Katana that is always on because I like what it does to my tone. Same thing with the 18v, plus you can really push the dirt side of the CJ into some real gainy sounds. Terrific!
  • The 27v is ... well ... clean and LOUD AS F**K. If you like your tone but want it louder (I mean LOUDER) this is the boost for you. In first position it can push the dirt side into ridiculous mode. In last position it will take the dirt side and make it LOUD AS F**K. My Trinity Tramp is famous for headroom even with a booster on the front end: it has met its match.
  • Mimosa. Well, I have the Keeley Compressor Plus on this board so I wasn't that interested in the Mimosa and left it for a later build. You live and you learn, I guess. If the CJ gives you options for dirty tone, with the Mimosa on board you also have options for your clean tone. Whereas the Keeley is pristine and versatile and awesome sounding, the Mimosa is warmer, more organic sounding. It is a real pleasure to play, especially with my Tele on the bridge pup. In first position it pushes the mids in a very musical way and encourages natural feedback (not the bad whistley kind, the good 5th / 7th / octave kind). The same thing happens when I just use the Mimosa side to push the Ethos in drive mode. This is the module that will stay in the pedal I think. Gorgeous sounding and useful.

That's my 2 cents so far. When I get other modules, I will write them up as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:03 pm 

mmarsh wrote:
...I need to get the Ge boost and the Electra...

When you put together the Ge, let us know how you like it for super heavy playing, like HM-2 buzzsaw heavy. I prefer it for brutal metal sounds (maybe oddly), but would like to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm 

10-4, I need to order them. I might just do the direct mixer mod too...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm 

Great descriptions and reviews. I still have modules I haven’t built. Now inspired to get at 'em! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk