Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: EP Boost
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 pm 

Xotic EP Boost clone. Lovely circuit.. great always-on tone boost. Thought I'd give it a bit of a vintage retro look.

Sorry all, this one left the house without a gut shot it seems :/

Post subject: Re: EP Boost
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 pm 

When I was a younger man, a friend let me borrow an Echoplex for a gig one night. (This was before they were valuable collectibles.) I fell in love with it. IMHO it was all it's made out to be. I loved what it did to my tone but at the time had no idea why. I tried every way in the world to talk him into parting with it, but he wasn't interested.
Having played through the real thing, you'd think
I would have one of the pedals that emulates it, but for some reason, I've never even tried one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:46 pm 

hylandren wrote:
you'd think I would have one of the pedals that emulates it, but for some reason, I've never even tried one.

Well I've never played through a real Echoplex before, :cry: but I very much like this as a tone boost, and I'd highly encourage you to give one a try! It's a really quick build too :D

Post subject: EP Boost
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:46 pm 

This is giving me an interesting idea. If it’s both a good always on effect and a good booster, you could wire it so that the circuit is always engaged, and the stomp switch toggles between two pots, one set to unity volume and the other set as a boost.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:56 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
This is giving me an interesting idea. If it’s both a good always on effect and a good booster, you could wire it so that the circuit is always engaged, and the stomp switch toggles between two pots, one set to unity volume and the other set as a boost.

A good idea indeed. To cut down on knobs, you could just have a fixed resistor for unity, and a knob for the boost (I'd imagine)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:38 am 

powerpopguy wrote:
A good idea indeed. To cut down on knobs, you could just have a fixed resistor for unity, and a knob for the boost (I'd imagine)

That was my first thought, but then I figured different guitars might have different unity settings.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 am 

powerpopguy wrote:
hylandren wrote:
Its a really quick build too :D

Maybe for an advanced builder like you! Lol
So far, aside from a couple of A/B switches, I've only built BYOC kits. Actually sourcing parts myself is a bit intimidating with my limited knowledge.

Since you didn't include a gut shot, was this pedal done from a vero layout from tag board effects or someplace like that? If so, which one?

Also, I don't think that retro knob scale was acknowledged. Very cool, for the full look.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:49 am 

hylandren wrote:
So far, aside from a couple of A/B switches, I've only built BYOC kits. Actually sourcing parts myself is a bit intimidating with my limited knowledge.

You should give it a try! At first it's not much cheaper than a kit, but once you get rolling and start to build up some parts stock, you can really save money this way. I recommend thinking about a simple on knob circuit—the EP booster is a great example—and find someone who makes a fabricated PCB for it. In this case, the Madbean FatPants might be one you'd try. Madbean has great build documentation, including for wiring the stomp switch. Then go to Mammoth Electronics to source everything, because they sell enclosures too, including pre-drilled and powder coated ones. Let us know if you get stuck along the way, and we can help you out. Go for it!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am 

I appreciate the words of encouragement. I've still got 4 BYOC kits that are un-built though, and promised myself I wouldn't buy anything more until those are completed. Getting free time to get to work on building is in real tough for me, though...My other problem is that my ideas far exceed my abilities/knowledge! lol IE: Your idea of two pots. What a GREAT idea! I would have absolutely NO idea how to wire that up, but still a very cool idea!
sjaustin wrote:
...In this case, the Madbean FatPants might be one you'd try. Madbean has great build documentation, including for wiring the stomp switch.
-Actually, I had figured if I ever advance to non-kits, that was probably the one I would likely try first.
sjaustin wrote:
Then go to Mammoth Electronics to source everything, because they sell enclosures too, including pre-drilled and powder coated ones.

Though I have minimal knowledge/understanding of electronics and have only done kits so far, I prefer to drill, etch and paint my own enclosures. For me, that's a lot of the fun. I have bought some enclosures and other parts from Small Bear, PPP and others in the past.
sjaustin wrote:
Let us know if you get stuck along the way, and we can help you out.

-Very nice of you to offer help. When I think I am ready to "graduate" to non-kits, I will likely need lots of help! lol