Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:56 pm 

Hi. I'm wondering if this dual / split-note sound I get from my El Distorto Segundo is normal or not. Personally, I think it sounds nasty and greatly lowers usability of the pedal - but at the same time, I don't know if it might be caused by something I did, such as static damage to an IC, too much flux residue causing current leakage to other parts, etc.

Here's an audio clip of the sound. The picked single-notes demonstrate the dual-note sound the best, though the gnarled sound is present while chording, and discernibly sounds unpleasant while I'm playing. Also, the split-note sound is most prominent while using the middle, mid-bridge, mid-neck pickup positions on my strats, and while playing mid to upper-range notes. The split-note sound is present throughout most settings of the pedal, including with the drive up and the resonance all the way down, and also with the resonance up and the drive all the way down. Noticeability of the dual-note sound decreases a lot when both the drive is way up and the resonance is also 3/4 or more of the way turned up.

Here is a picture of my El Distorto Segundo.

The sound reminds me of when I caused static damage to my JMP-1 while replacing its capacitors, with the static damage causing the upper frequency ranges to sound all warbly and warped. I ended up having to replace the JMP-1 main board.

I've installed in-line sockets at the diode pads, and set the pedal up to original symmetrical clipping specs.

There was some very heavy flux residue around the leads of all the pots before I took this picture. I cleaned it up with 99% isopropyl alcohol and tested the pedal again, though the pinging / split-note sounds continued afterwards. If I damaged an IC, either by static while working, or by excess flux residue enabling leakage to another component, then that damage would remain even after cleaning the flux residue away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:01 am 

Not the best recording but I think I know what you’re trying to demonstrate. I get it too. Just figured it was a characteristic of the circuit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:25 am 

I had the EDS for awhile and don't recall it sounding anything like this clip, which reminds me of a "ringer" or octave fuzz circuit. I would suspect IC damage, since those are by far the most sensitive components in that pedal. I'd recommend getting a 4558 and a TL072 and substituting them for the current IC's and see if that clears up the problem. They only cost a buck or two, so it's certainly not an expensive fix to try, even if it doesn't solve the issue. And it never hurts to have a spare dual op amp IC on hand....

EDIT: Something else you might want to try since you socketed the 1N4148 diode positions is to pull out all of those diodes and test the circuit with no clipping. If the problem goes away, it points toward a bad diode or some other problem in the two 4148 clipping stages.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 pm 

Awesome advice! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Try what DVM suggested. If that doesn't help, try removing one end of the 68k resistor just below the TL072 in the upper right hand corner. This will disconnect the resonance. The resonance is a separate parallel overdrive circuit. If there's something causing an octave-like effect, I would assume it's coming from there.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:17 pm 

byoc wrote:
Try what DVM suggested. If that doesn't help, try removing one end of the 68k resistor just below the TL072 in the upper right hand corner. This will disconnect the resonance. The resonance is a separate parallel overdrive circuit. If there's something causing an octave-like effect, I would assume it's coming from there.

If I turn the resonance up I get the weird octave thing in full effect. It’s definitely related to that. I just replaced each IC and tested after each one and there was no difference. Diodes next?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 pm 

rob303 wrote:
byoc wrote:

If I turn the resonance up I get the weird octave thing in full effect. It’s definitely related to that. I just replaced each IC and tested after each one and there was no difference. Diodes next?

Did you try disconnecting one end of that 68K resistor, as Keith suggested, to see if the problem disappears? While I agree that it sounds like the resonance circuit is the culprit, that would confirm it.

Assuming that it is, in fact, the resonance circuit, I'd definitely look closely at D6, D7 and D8:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:30 pm 

Wow. Suddenly this thread is getting replies.

I also tried replacing the ICs, and it didn't change the sound. I'll try the rest of what's mentioned here, as well.

BTW, the dual-note thing is more detectable through certain amps and guitars - ones which I guess accentuate the affected frequencies. It's a lot more present in my strats than my les pauls, and most present in my strats in pickups selector positions 2 and 4. It's also more stand-out when using my JMP-1 preamp or JCM 800, than when using other some amps, like a tiny terror, a crate practice amp... though it's still present with those amps.

Also, rob303, I replied to you in the other thread, about symmetrical / asymmetrical clipping for the EDS: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=53086

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 pm 

I’ve tried removing R14 and diodes 3-8, swapping out new ICs an none of it works. I’m thinking I simply don’t like this circuit.