Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hey Martin pickers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:04 pm 

So, I'm thinking about dipping a toe or maybe my foots into the Martin pool. Admittedly I'm not schooled on what I'm looking for other than to say I don't have the longest fingers (hey hey, I have big feet now) and I like smaller body guitars.

In summary, what thoughts might one have with respect to a good Martin, small body, cut away (acoustic/electric, or not)?

I'm guessing someone might be wondering what a price point might be. Let me give a range of $1,500-2,500 for starters.

Thanks for any input you might have. I'm just starting the hunt.

Post subject: Re: Hey Martin pickers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

Interesting! I kinda want to ask what it is that draws you to Martin. Because usually it's something along the lines of I play bluegrass and want a dreadnaught that sounds like a cannon, but clearly that's not what you're going for.

I have played a couple of the smaller body Martins, and I wasn't as impressed with them "pound for pound" as either 1) the typical Martin dreadnaught or 2) small bodied guitars in the same price range by other manufacturers. BUT that is a limited sample size.

Interested to hear what other folks say, and more about what you're interested in, John!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:05 pm 

(I meant to say that none of the ones I played are "vintage" age, all newer stuff.)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:51 pm 

According to Sweetwater, for the criteria you have described, your choices would be shown here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c600--Martin ... F3YXkiXX19

Seven guitars, but two of them are dreadnoughts, so likely bigger than you want. (I like the looks of that mahogany OMC-15ME!)

Scott: When I looked for my Martin, I used a slightly altered description from the one you stated: I DON'T play bluegrass and STILL want a dreadnaught that sounds like a cannon. :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:53 pm 

I have a DXK2 that’s isn’t quiet at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm 

I hear the pre-war ones are nice! :mrgreen:

https://reverb.com/item/5276641-martin-d-28-1938-natural-pre-war

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm 

Try out a Taylor 312 if you aren't entirely set on a Martin, it will feel and play more like an electric 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:18 am 

I have a 1000.00 martin, acoustic electric....forget the model. Not super fond of it. I find you have to spend at least 2G on a Martin for it to be a good one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:36 am 

I have a few Martins (5) all of them are spectacular guitars. I have played several cutaway Martins and they are not spectacular. Good, but not spectacular. For a small body guitar without a cutaway I would highly recommend the 000-15SM (https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/15 ... /000-15sm/) - this is my gigging acoustic. 12 fret, open peg head, all mahogany, all the boom of a Martin in a small package. If you don't like mahogany tops, there's the 16 series, of which this one is comparable: https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/16 ... /000-16gt/.

Martin is building very high quality guitars today, and even if the sound of some models is not to my taste (approaching the flat freq response of a Taylor) there is plenty of Martin left in the lineup!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:36 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys but Morgan nailed it. I mean, it’s a 45% price drop. My wife has informed me in the past that is considered a killer sale 8)

SJ, the reason I want a Martin may not be the greatest reason per se but I want to get to know one which I never have. I want to own one, play it, hear it and hopefully bond with it. History maybe? Hype? Dunno. I have a Taylor 214e which I love but I want something different. Great question and I wrestled with your question before knowing full well there are some great guitars out there.

Bob, the mahogany is gorgeous. Not opposed to that look at all.

Jeff, I figured that was the case. I have to spend a bit much to reach that next level of quality...I hope!

Mike, the link is freezing up but I am in a crappy hotel with crappy WiFi so I will check those out.

By the way, I love the sound of a dreadnought. The problem for me is I end up fighting the guitar a bit. It is 100% my skill level not being there but I will get there one day and end up owning one just not now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:33 am 

mmarsh wrote:
I have a few Martins (5) all of them are spectacular guitars. I have played several cutaway Martins and they are not spectacular. Good, but not spectacular.

This makes a lot of sense to me, intuitively. The cutaway has to interfere with the way sound reverberates inside the body, and with the loss of symmetry I doubt that it would be in a good way.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 am 

Maybe yes, for Martin construction. Taylor does the cutaway incredibly well. I have a 514C that is a Venetian cutaway and it is spectacular, even though as a rule, the Taylor sound is not my thing. Has to do with the mahogany sides and cedar top I bet!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm 

mmarsh wrote:
Maybe yes, for Martin construction. Taylor does the cutaway incredibly well. I have a 514C that is a Venetian cutaway and it is spectacular, even though as a rule, the Taylor sound is not my thing. Has to do with the mahogany sides and cedar top I bet!

Ditto my Breedlove concert sized guitar with a cedar top, which will be in the B/S/T soon. It sounds amazing, better than the same guitar with no cutaway. I think some manufacturers came into the game assuming their guitars would have cutaways more often than not, and they designed accordingly.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 pm 

Well geez, never considered the cutaway affecting the tone enough for me to worry about. Now you guys have me worried about it :lol:

I asked right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 pm 

Don't worry, be happy! And go play a few.

I'm not picky about almost everything in life *except* acoustic guitar tone. I am an admitted (and proud) Martin snob :P My '74 D-28 is not the best sounding Martin I have (that would be my newer D-18) but it's the one that is closest to my heart.

BTW, people say Martin dreadnoughts are hard to record. Poppycock! One Neumann KM-184 6-9 inches from the twelfth fret and you have the acoustic tone from heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

For what it's worth, I've never owned a Martin but I own two Larrivees, and they are a tremendous value considering the design, wood quality and construction. Jean Larrivee's pedigree is impressive as well, his past apprentices include famous luthiers like Grit Laskin and Linda Manzer. I see them pop up on CL locally for around 50-70% of new list price, and even at full price it's a huge value in comparison to Martin, dollar-for-dollar. I own an L-03R and an L-03E, and both are fantastic (the rosewood one is hands-down the best sounding acoustic I have ever played). I have a student that owns around 6 Larrivees (all CL scores), and all were very impressive. They make an OM body style, if you want that classic Martin look.

Anyway, best of luck in your pursuit!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 pm 

Larivee makes great guitars, no doubt! I'm always puzzled by their lack of resale value - such a high quality instrument!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:49 pm 

mmarsh wrote:
Larivee makes great guitars, no doubt! I'm always puzzled by their lack of resale value - such a high quality instrument!

Yeah, weird isn't it? But hey, I'm happy if I can get into a top shelf acoustic for sub-$1.5k!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 pm 

mmarsh wrote:

Ha, once again I say: ditto Breedlove. Such great bang for the buck on the used market. Sucks to be on the seller end of that equation at the moment!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
mmarsh wrote:

Ha, once again I say: ditto Breedlove. Such great bang for the buck on the used market. Sucks to be on the seller end of that equation at the moment!

Breedloves tend to hold their value here in Oregon a little better. I think the players in the know are a little more savvy since they originated in central OR, and had been around as a small operation for a while before they started being recognized by the wider guitar world. Still an awesome value, I have a student that owns one of their higher end instruments and it plays like a sports car!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:55 pm 

Since we're on the topic of Martin:

I visited the Martin guitar factory a few years ago in Pennsylvania and took some photos.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51252&p=452756&hilit=Martin+factory#p452756

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm 

Ribspare wrote:
Since we're on the topic of Martin:

I visited the Martin guitar factory a few years ago in Pennsylvania and took some photos.

http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/vi ... ry#p452756

Cool photos Ribs. Thanks for the link.