Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:34 pm 

Hello BYOC Forum Community!

I have successfully assembled a number of the micro series pedals, sometimes requiring some debugging after the fact. I have successfully assembled, for example, the Li'l Black Key, the Li'l Phaser, the Li'l Fuzz, the Li'l Breaker, and the Li'l Tremolo. They were all fun builds, and I even have a rhythm for getting the jacks and power supply wired quickly.

One build that has been bugging me, though, is the Li'l Kuzco. (I know it's a CMOS-based boost/drive/fuzz, but I figure the op-amp section is close enough.)

Fully assembled out of the enclosure, it works. Bypass signal is as usual; effected signal has the effected characteristics described in the documentation. As soon as I screw in even one jack, however, it fails. I imagine the only possibility is that part of the signal path gets shunted to the chassis potential (ground), but there's nothing obviously in contact with the screw or the negative tip of the jacks. Maybe the jacks bump up against the circuitry and I just can't see or imagine it.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this? What solved the issue?

Thank you very much,
babarker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:26 am 

Sooo many times it's happened. Right off, it sounds like you got a bad jack, but pictures would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 am 

jimilee wrote:
Right off, it sounds like you got a bad jack....

Maybe, but those enclosed jacks usually aren't a problem. I would suspect that when you try to mount the cover plate, it forces the PCB down into the enclosure and causes a signal short to ground. I've had this happen a couple of times when assembling the mini pedals. Here's an easy fix to try: cover the entire back of the PCB with electrical tape and then try mounting it in the enclosure.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 pm 

Thanks, all.

I recently (finally) solved the issue, after several attempts, off and on.

My initial wiring was much too long, which can cause problems in the mini pedal kits (though, oddly, not for all of them!). It took several rounds of trimming the wires and resoldering the connections, but with minimal length of wire and lots of patience, it works reliably now. I use pliers to help get the input/output jacks, pots, and power jack into position.

I also trimmed up the wiring in some of my other builds to reduce power supply noise.